The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

With his background, and having just basically had his first full season in senior football, I respectfully disagree.

Shorn of the context of his youth team back ground, he's been a serviceable and at times, passable centre back. He doesn't look like a player with extra gears. 

1 minute ago, renton said:

Shorn of the context of his youth team back ground, he's been a serviceable and at times, passable centre back. He doesn't look like a player with extra gears. 

A passable CB at roughly Scottish Tier Two or English Tier Five level…with one year of play…I see upside potential, can we afford to wait/risk…unfortunately not it seems.

2 hours ago, raith1974 said:

Maybe he is aiming to get better players in. We've under performed for 2 seasons, some of our players just ain't good enough. 

In terms of Nolan he's not good enough to go down south and play league 2 football. He's not got the strength, aggression and can panic. If we resign Lang, release Nolan and find 2 CHs with experience, build etc then I would be happy. Masson if he stays can be 4th choice. Find a better left back and resign Tumilty who was the best player on the park in the cup final. 

There’s only been 2 players that have stood out all season and that’s Scott Brown and Jammer. The rest that are out of contract, and those that are contracted can leave. Another piss poor season down the swanny 

43 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

There’s only been 2 players that have stood out all season and that’s Scott Brown and Jammer. The rest that are out of contract, and those that are contracted can leave. Another piss poor season down the swanny 

f**k off with this over reacting pish.

I would try and bin Gullan who I bet is costing us a decent wage , Out of a potential 54 league games since signing in the window last year he’s played 13 games and scored 2 goals he missed 41 games due to being injured that is a player Rovers cant carry on very limited resources ,Ethan Ross is not much better and to be honest he hasn’t done nearly enough of a player of his standard very poor this season probably another one on decent money . Nucleus of a really good team just lacking in some departments but on the whole Murray has signed decent players apart from the ones you can clearly see have been emptied piggy bank signings 

Edited by basher brash

4 hours ago, renton said:

f**k off with this over reacting pish.

You must be easily pleased with defeat after defeat after…….. Murray has an impossible task to recruit for next season. I’ve heard that Barjonas is heading back to Starks, are you fucking kidding me!!!

Edited by baillieinleeds

Just now, baillieinleeds said:

You must be easily pleased with defeat after defeat after…….. Murray has an impossible task to recruit for next season. 

How does he have an impossible task to recruit for?

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

Just an out there question, can Tumilty play as a winger? He has a great engine, good pace, a good shot and defensive capabilities

He probably could be a decent winger, probably better than a FB…for us. His niche is a club that has a solid two or three CB (probably better with three, perhaps that’s why Dick transitioned so easily) setup and needs an attacking FB on the right. I’d say he’s better suited to a 3-5-2 than any 4 back formation.

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

He probably could be a decent winger, probably better than a FB…for us. His niche is a club that has a solid two or three CB (probably better with three, perhaps that’s why Dick transitioned so easily) setup and needs an attacking FB on the right. I’d say he’s better suited to a 3-5-2 than any 4 back formation.

It's strange how you defend soke young players who may never make it and other players like Millen and Nolan yet think Tumilty cannot defend. He was probably our best rightback fir several years.

Just now, raith1974 said:

It's strange how you defend soke young players who may never make it and other players like Millen and Nolan yet think Tumilty cannot defend. He was probably our best rightback fir several years.

Why is it funny? Tumilty benefitted from a stable CB pairing and a LB who was better defensively than going forward…that worked with JMcG’s tactics. This year it would have been suicide.

Millen is probably our third or fourth best player this year behind Brown, MacDonald and (perhaps) Connolly or Stanton.

Nolan is a youngish player with very little senior experience who we took a flyer on, one that paid off. He started 63% of our matches, so he’s doing something right. If we can get him back relatively inexpensively, we should jump on it. I think he is completely capable at this level, and will develop more…unfortunately, he’s liable to be signed and develop elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Why is it funny? Tumilty benefitted from a stable CB pairing and a LB who was better defensively than going forward…that worked with JMcG’s tactics. This year it would have been suicide.

Millen is probably our third or fourth best player this year behind Brown, MacDonald and (perhaps) Connolly or Stanton.

Nolan is a youngish player with very little senior experience who we took a flyer on, one that paid off. He started 63% of our matches, so he’s doing something right. If we can get him back relatively inexpensively, we should jump on it. I think he is completely capable at this level, and will develop more…unfortunately, he’s liable to be signed and develop elsewhere.

He started 63% of matches as we have no one else. 

Nolan has been average this season. The fact that Liam Dick has been better than him at centre half when he’s not even a centre half probably probably tells you why he shouldn’t be someone we look to build a team around. If we are looking to improve on this season then replacing average players with better ones is a must.

Not to take shots at a respected gentleman of this parish, but Shaughan McGuigan's decision to include Ryan Nolan as the only Rovers player on his Best Central Defenders in the Lower Leagues list was a wild shout, and frankly calls into question his judgement on any other issue. 

And the less said about Danny Denholm's choice, the better... 

On 28/04/2023 at 06:48, Specky Ginger said:

That's why we have a manager and assistant manager.

In our financial situation, we need to be signing players who can contribute regularly on the pitch.

Signing guys who are only capable of playing limited minutes is financially imbecilic. Remember Rudi Skacel?

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

He was absolutely our most productive right back but defensively he wasn't great. He was no Kieron MacDonald in that regard. We conceded a lot of goals down his side due to either being out of position or Tumilty losing out in his battles etc. He's a very good wingback in a back 3 formation theoretically. 

1 hour ago, Dalziel8 said:

Nolan has been average this season. The fact that Liam Dick has been better than him at centre half when he’s not even a centre half probably probably tells you why he shouldn’t be someone we look to build a team around. If we are looking to improve on this season then replacing average players with better ones is a must.

And not moving on from average players without at least a replacement is also critical…just saying.

If we had two semi decent CB’s Nolan wouldn’t be anywhere near the first team.  No great loss imo. Ethan Ross, Jamie Gullan and dare I say it Vaughan. That’s an expensive injury list right there.