The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

I’d keep McBride, gets better every time I see him.

Midfield with Matthews coming back, and McGill signing will be OK, at the back and up front should be the priority.

He might not be the greatest player in the world but a dirty big centre half like Ayr have would ideal

I take it you're having a laugh about McBride. Complete waste of wage. His level is not Championship football. 

4 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

I’d keep McBride, gets better every time I see him.

Midfield with Matthews coming back, and McGill signing will be OK, at the back and up front should be the priority.

He might not be the greatest player in the world but a dirty big centre half like Ayr have would ideal

Now now, that big dirty centre half pinged an inch perfect cross in for Musondas goal on Saturday. Would probably do a job on the wing for you lot. 

On 29/04/2023 at 19:34, Raith Against The Machine said:

Not to take shots at a respected gentleman of this parish, but Shaughan McGuigan's decision to include Ryan Nolan as the only Rovers player on his Best Central Defenders in the Lower Leagues list was a wild shout, and frankly calls into question his judgement on any other issue. 

And the less said about Danny Denholm's choice, the better... 

Sounds interesting, where's this list? 

13 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Think we could get him?

Has barely kicked a ball for us after a very promising loan spell. Granted he has been injured during that time but still a bit underwhelmed by him since he signed until the end of the season.

Time for that to change starting on Friday night. 👍

Edited by BukyOHare

14 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Has barely kicked a ball for us after a very promising loan spell. Granted he has been injured during that time but still a bit underwhelmed by him since he signed until the end of the season.

Time for that to change starting on Friday night. 👍

Injuries, you say? 

Welcome to the Rovers. 

48 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Think we could get him?

Personally I would be very surprised, would expect him to stay at Ayr and certainly can’t see him signing anything without knowing how Ayr’s season ends. Few rumours flying around very different to that though! 

If you want to improve the defence, and are looking at CB, with Dundee conceding the fewest goals, they have three CB that we should look at to see if any are achievable….Sweeney, McGhee and Ashcroft…all three are out of contract. Now, time to debate who would be an upgrade to whom.

2 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Personally I would be very surprised, would expect him to stay at Ayr and certainly can’t see him signing anything without knowing how Ayr’s season ends. Few rumours flying around very different to that though! 

Was he not at the Hamilton game recently? Could be just to watch a game or a mate playing but who knows

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

If you want to improve the defence, and are looking at CB, with Dundee conceding the fewest goals, they have three CB that we should look at to see if any are achievable….Sweeney, McGhee and Ashcroft…all three are out of contract. Now, time to debate who would be an upgrade to whom.

Have you got any intel on their wages, so we can make a decision which factors into our arithmetically assembled squad?

Edited by Brashy's Boots

1 hour ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Have you got any intel on their wages, so we can make a decision which factors into our arithmetical assembled squad?

Honestly, I’d expect any of them to be one of our higher paid players…

…bit more importantly, this is a discussion and opinion board. We don’t suggest signing a player like McTominay because we know we can’t afford him. Hell, we’re in a place where we can’t be sure we can lure a part time player if he has a decent job in Glasgow. But we talk about it without knowing the details because we have hope and opinions. If you dislike my viewing players through the lens of probable costs, ignore my posts. If you disagree, blast away. If you have intelligence, offer it. Otherwise this might be a boring off season.

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

…bit more importantly, this is a discussion and opinion board. We don’t suggest signing a player like McTominay because we know we can’t afford him. Hell, we’re in a place where we can’t be sure we can lure a part time player if he has a decent job in Glasgow. But we talk about it without knowing the details because we have hope and opinions. If you dislike my viewing players through the lens of probable costs, ignore my posts. If you disagree, blast away. If you have intelligence, offer it. Otherwise this might be a boring off season.

By 'we' do you mean you?

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

*possible / assumed / guessed

It's the passing off of such imagined information as fact which frustrates.

I'm sure IM is compiling a plan of who he wants (and doesn't) so he can deliver the style of football he wants us to play. I don't think he's looking at cost first, for shopping or dropping. It's got to be along the lines of "Brad Spencer slows us down and I want us to be faster in midfield. Who fits the bill?", rather than "Who can I get in midfield for £xyz?"

Note - I didn't pick Brad Spencer at random.

1 hour ago, Brashy's Boots said:

*possible / assumed / guessed

It's the passing off of such imagined information as fact which frustrates.

I'm sure IM is compiling a plan of who he wants (and doesn't) so he can deliver the style of football he wants us to play. I don't think he's looking at cost first, for shopping or dropping. It's got to be along the lines of "Brad Spencer slows us down and I want us to be faster in midfield. Who fits the bill?", rather than "Who can I get in midfield for £xyz?"

Note - I didn't pick Brad Spencer at random.

Except you are doing what I’m doing (trying to read IM’s mind) but taking a different tack. I’ve always tried to say presumably or assuming rather than state it as fact. However, anyone who thinks one of the first thoughts of any Scottish manager, outwith the OF, isn’t what would he cost/can we afford him/is he a realistic target is deluding themselves.

When a team has a hard budget, as we do (or will have soon), the pay packet HAS to be a consideration, because there’s no way around it. Do we know who is getting what, no, but an educated guess can be made.

Let’s say instead of “Who fits the bill to replace Spencer?”, the question is “Who fits the bill to replace Spencer without blowing the budget?”

39 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Except you are doing what I’m doing (trying to read IM’s mind) but taking a different tack. I’ve always tried to say presumably or assuming rather than state it as fact. However, anyone who thinks one of the first thoughts of any Scottish manager, outwith the OF, isn’t what would he cost/can we afford him/is he a realistic target is deluding themselves.

When a team has a hard budget, as we do (or will have soon), the pay packet HAS to be a consideration, because there’s no way around it. Do we know who is getting what, no, but an educated guess can be made.

Let’s say instead of “Who fits the bill to replace Spencer?”, the question is “Who fits the bill to replace Spencer without blowing the budget?”

Tex, I was an accountant in a previous incarnation so I'm not suggesting for a moment that cost isn't a consideration. Of course it is. But I'd argue it's a board consideration. 

IMs remit is surely to identify, recommend and justify targets to the board on the basis of squad /team needs, and the board's remit to approve and negotiate, largely on the basis of cost and potential return. And maybe keeping the manager happy if he's well thought of.

IM will have his wish lists for shopping and dropping and I hope he presents them without poring over spreadsheets for too long. We've always found a few bob beyond the hard budget for the marquee signings (Skacel, Daly, comedy John etc) from one source or another, so I hope he pushes his luck with a few names. 

Guessing wages is a fool's game.  It's just a guess. Not an educated one, unless you have intel, and doesn't factor in signing fees, phasing of any such payments, win bonuses, goal bonuses, appearance bonuses, contract milestones, player clauses, sponsorship etc, and I don't think it adds anything to conversation.