The New Raith Rovers Thread

50 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Tex, I was an accountant in a previous incarnation so I'm not suggesting for a moment that cost isn't a consideration. Of course it is. But I'd argue it's a board consideration. 

IMs remit is surely to identify, recommend and justify targets to the board on the basis of squad /team needs, and the board's remit to approve and negotiate, largely on the basis of cost and potential return. And maybe keeping the manager happy if he's well thought of.

IM will have his wish lists for shopping and dropping and I hope he presents them without poring over spreadsheets for too long. We've always found a few bob beyond the hard budget for the marquee signings (Skacel, Daly, comedy John etc) from one source or another, so I hope he pushes his luck with a few names. 

Guessing wages is a fool's game.  It's just a guess. Not an educated one, unless you have intel, and doesn't factor in signing fees, phasing of any such payments, win bonuses, goal bonuses, appearance bonuses, contract milestones, player clauses, sponsorship etc, and I don't think it adds anything to conversation. 

Fair enough, your opinion, I respect that. I think you’re overthinking it too, but please don’t ever suggest Skacel was a player again.

35 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Fair enough, your opinion, I respect that. I think you’re overthinking it too, but please don’t ever suggest Skacel was a player again.

Skacel was a player unfortunately it was for hearts and not us. Appreciate you look at sports through 🇺🇸 eyes and moneyball type info but I agree with brashy’s boots, IM will and should leave the money to the board and push his luck for players he really wants

5 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Skacel was a player unfortunately it was for hearts and not us. Appreciate you look at sports through 🇺🇸 eyes and moneyball type info but I agree with brashy’s boots, IM will and should leave the money to the board and push his luck for players he really wants

The truth is likely in the middle with IM carefully choosing his priorities and list with an eye on everything, and (hopefully) some options for the Board when a choice isn’t attainable/affordable.

15 minutes ago, TxRover said:

The truth is likely in the middle with IM carefully choosing his priorities and list with an eye on everything, and (hopefully) some options for the Board when a choice isn’t attainable/affordable.

I’m sure he will have a couple of lists drawn up, players he really wants and players he will accept. We definitely do football old fashioned in this country

3 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I’m sure he will have a couple of lists drawn up, players he really wants and players he will accept. We definitely do football old fashioned in this country

What, they aren’t in a word doc to email the Board?

9 hours ago, Been going too long said:

Cloughie was exactly the same. Brought on players, or identified players to play whether the chairman sanctioned it or not. It’s called taking risks. Good or bad! 

29 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Cloughie was exactly the same. Brought on players, or identified players to play whether the chairman sanctioned it or not. It’s called taking risks. Good or bad! 

Get Messi.

13 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Tex, I was an accountant in a previous incarnation so I'm not suggesting for a moment that cost isn't a consideration. Of course it is. But I'd argue it's a board consideration. 

IMs remit is surely to identify, recommend and justify targets to the board on the basis of squad /team needs, and the board's remit to approve and negotiate, largely on the basis of cost and potential return. And maybe keeping the manager happy if he's well thought of.

Agree with this. 

It would seem also there has eventually been an acknowledgement that the board had not been as involved with player contracts as it ought to have been, hence some very bad terms (from the club's perspective) dished out. Hopefully that will change under new ownership. 

The board is responsible for setting an appropriate budget and Murray works within it. If it's not enough, he makes a case to the board, who will approve it or deny it.

6 minutes ago, Geordie_Munrover said:

I’m hearing Shaun Byrne from Dundee is a target 

Perma-injured midfielder with a lack of game time for the last season or two.. sounds perfect RRFC material. 

8 minutes ago, Craigus said:

Perma-injured midfielder with a lack of game time for the last season or two.. sounds perfect RRFC material. 

also ex townie….. but I can’t see it happening because of the wage demands most likely unless these new investors are willing to put some money in to the club for said players