The New Raith Rovers Thread

17 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Look forward to more penis, fart and sex jokes then. All about the audience. Genuine community club. Leave no one behind. 

Fucking hell, one tweet not in your demographic does not alienate you. If you genuinely feel offended by that, its your right, but get some perspective. "Adolescent male" is pretty much the major football demographic at every club, but one tweet appealing to that does not alienate the other demographics. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Its hardly something to be morally outraged over is it? What a tweet like that does do however is highlight the reach and engagement of the club which can lead to more followers and additional sponsorship opportunities. 

8 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Okay I give up. Obviously a minority. I looked forward to our male dominated, penis joke infused future that will propel us to the Premiership. 

I mean one tweet doesn't suggest that does it? 

Edited by CountryBumpkin

3 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Okay I give up. Obviously a minority. I looked forward to our male dominated, penis joke infused future that will propel us to the Premiership. 

Youre having a nightmare here. No-one here thinks that's our future, including you, and the interest it generates in the club is undoubtedly a good thing. Supporters of English teams saying we're now their favourite Scottish club, for example, whether they mean it or not, paves a way for future engagement, and engagement can be monetised. If you can't see that, or are choosing not to, you are indeed in a minority. A tiny one.

Having a tweet viewed 3.3M times (so far) brings in 0 income just now. However, that number looks mightily impressive when you are reaching out to companies to promote sponsorship opportunities (who wouldn't want to able to advertise themselves to over 3M people without paying the going rates for an advert on primetime Sky etc). That's what this is about. It's marketing 101, the more eyes you can get on your product, the more companies will want to be involved with the product. I genuinely didn't think it was a hard concept to fathom.

4 minutes ago, Kooz92 said:

Having a tweet viewed 3.3M times (so far) brings in 0 income just now. However, that number looks mightily impressive when you are reaching out to companies to promote sponsorship opportunities (who wouldn't want to able to advertise themselves to over 3M people without paying the going rates for an advert on primetime Sky etc). That's what this is about. It's marketing 101, the more eyes you can get on your product, the more companies will want to be involved with the product. I genuinely didn't think it was a hard concept to fathom.

^^^^^^^^^^

This in a nutshell

I've definitely been called a woke lefty (and much worse) on these very pages multiple times in the past, but I think there's a wee bit of over-sensitivity at play here. 

It's not a joke at anyone's expense (other than, I suppose, Liam Dick). It's not playing on a sexist or a racist trope or anything of that sort. It's a very mild piece of innuendo, with a mild swear word (which does also happen to be Liam's surname). I'm honestly not even sure you could go as far as to label it risqué. 

It's not big or clever, it's very much Carry On level humour, but it's been picked up by an audience, which is essentially the point of social media. 

If every tweet from the Rovers is now some form of toilet humour than yeah, that would be weird and off-putting, but I think the appropriate, proportionate reaction to one milquetoast off-colour tweet you don't like is to go "Oh? Ugh." and move past it. 

In the recent past we've had a very, very serious episode that absolutely alienated people and left people behind. This ain't that. 

21 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Glad to hear it. BTW, I like Dick (as most posters here know…whoops, that didn’t make it any better…).

Not sure how a simple phallic joke on Twitter has caused pages of debate?

It doesn't hurt Raith Rovers as a club or as a "brand", nor will it create any meaningful benefit moving forward - there's nothing to overthink here.

Only real news of relevance is Rovers have given a new deal to a jobber full-back, who will probably spend most of next season on the bench.

13 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Glad to hear it. BTW, I like Dick (as most posters here know…whoops, that didn’t make it any better…).

Disgusting!!!!. He is an honest player that is dependable. Played Solid at times but being in and out and moved position didn't help him. If we buy another few defenders he will have to fight for his place. It could be a toss up as to who the manager picks at the back. 

4 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Not sure how a simple phallic joke on Twitter has caused pages of debate?

It doesn't hurt Raith Rovers as a club or as a "brand", nor will it create any meaningful benefit moving forward - there's nothing to overthink here.

Only real news of relevance is Rovers have given a new deal to a jobber full-back, who will probably spend most of next season on the bench.

Because there are people that just don't get social media and are Ironically on a social media platform venting fury. 

2 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

I’m obviously in a minority on here, which is absolutely fine, but my last word on this is that we are aiming to be a community club. If you want to be that, then you have to be representative of the community. The community is both male and female. The Board at the moment is exclusively male and as far as I’m aware is refusing to let the democratically elected supporters director - who happens to be a female - onto the board. That’s not a good look. It was also just over a year ago we signed a rapist and dragged the reputation of the club through the mud and lost our whole women’s team, which shows absolutely no sign of returning. In that context, when we have a tagline that says ‘Leave no one behind’ should we be doing everything we can to be inclusive? Yes. Does tweeting nudge nudge, wink wink sexualised language in the name of banter and to get likes on Twitter fit in to being an open and inclusive club? For me no, but others may disagree. 

Away you and get a feckin life

7 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

Disgusting!!!!. He is an honest player that is dependable. Played Solid at times but being in and out and moved position didn't help him. If we buy another few defenders he will have to fight for his place. It could be a toss up as to who the manager picks at the back. 

I was on the Dick bandwagon early on (steady now), and do think he gets written off unfairly very often. Part of the problem is he was following MacDonald who was an excellent attacking LB. He’s no world beater, but I’d easily class him as top half of the Championship at LB, and the utility shown this year only increases his value.

Given our wide ranging needs, I honestly expect Dick is our LB, and we’ll see if IM rates Young as a backup to him. If we bring in another LB, I wouldn’t expect an all out attacking LB, it’s not that important in IM’s scheme, and Dick does the required role just fine. I suspect any other LB coming in would either be a stronger defender than Dick, or another versatile FB who can play both sides…and perhaps CB.

2 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

I’m obviously in a minority on here, which is absolutely fine, but my last word on this is that we are aiming to be a community club. If you want to be that, then you have to be representative of the community. The community is both male and female. The Board at the moment is exclusively male and as far as I’m aware is refusing to let the democratically elected supporters director - who happens to be a female - onto the board. That’s not a good look. It was also just over a year ago we signed a rapist and dragged the reputation of the club through the mud and lost our whole women’s team, which shows absolutely no sign of returning. In that context, when we have a tagline that says ‘Leave no one behind’ should we be doing everything we can to be inclusive? Yes. Does tweeting nudge nudge, wink wink sexualised language in the name of banter and to get likes on Twitter fit in to being an open and inclusive club? For me no, but others may disagree. 

It’s a fair enough point…

1 minute ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Away you and get a feckin life

That’s uncalled for…as is a lot of the other grief being lobbed at roverthemoon.

There is a delicate balance that has to be trod by a business, and there are inevitable episodes that annoy one group or another. It’s sometimes overreacting to these individual episodes that causes issues, but I would certainly hope that Ruaridh is aware that some people had concern on this matter.

1 minute ago, roverthemoon said:

It might be worth DMing Ruaridh himself. He's never made any secret about it or hidden away from the fact he'll talk to his fellow supporters. Personally I think it's low brow harmless fun - as @Raith Against The Machinesays I'd be more concerned if I thought it would be every tweet

The supporters director situation is a whole other topic but that would be the same regardless of circumstance and I don't think gender is a factor. I'd rather they were at the meetings but if the new are opting for an almost tiered structure there's not much we can do about it, much as it was when Sim decided he was going to ignore it.

I was livid about the Goodwillie situation but I don't think this will have anyone walking away from buying season tickets or saying that nothing has changed.

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

The supporters director situation is a whole other topic but that would be the same regardless of circumstance and I don't think gender is a factor.

Gender may be irrelevant, but the optics of an all male board excluding a democratically elected female supporters director isn’t great tbh. 

16 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

It was also just over a year ago we signed a rapist and dragged the reputation of the club through the mud and lost our whole women’s team, which shows absolutely no sign of returning. 

Reestablishing a woman’s team was certainly stated as an aim in the fans meeting and I possibly heard it mentioned in the various other interviews the new owners have given. Don’t think they’ll be able to have one ready for next season, a bit like establishing a joined up link with the community youth sides, it will take time.

Edited by Enigma

4 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Reestablishing a woman’s team was certainly stated as an aim in the fans meeting and I possibly heard it mentioned in the various other interviews the new owners have given. Don’t think they’ll be able to have one ready for next season, a bit like establishing a joined up link with the community youth sides, it will take time.

A definite positive aim. Hopefully we can get back to that. 

Getting back to other matters. The appointment of Greg McEwan appears very positive, I just wonder how we can afford all these new faces. 

Onto the stadium do we think that with changing room improvements we will also see an upgrade in the sub bench, technical area as they are very basic. 

Hopefully with all this new commercial appointments we see our sponsorship around the ground renewed and increased.

1 minute ago, raith1974 said:

Getting back to other matters. The appointment of Greg McEwan appears very positive, I just wonder how we can afford all these new faces. 

If they do a good job they should hopefully pay for themselves, so to speak.