The New Raith Rovers Thread

What's the likely explanation for RR repeatedly failing to take advantage of Dun Utd's dropped points and steam on to promotion?

Some suggest that CEOs/ chairmen or whoever take fright when the costs of preparing to go up to the top flight are presented? Urban myth?

3 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

What's the likely explanation for RR repeatedly failing to take advantage of Dun Utd's dropped points and steam on to promotion?

Some suggest that CEOs/ chairmen or whoever take fright when the costs of preparing to go up to the top flight are presented? Urban myth?

Aye, our CEO is actually the Queens Park goalie who pulled off a superb save late on to deny us a win.

8 hours ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

10/11 We ran out of steam. The defeat at East End took a long time to get over too, and I still wonder why we dropped McGurn in the run in.

When people talking about how bad we did against Arbroath a few weeks ago I immediately thought about that game against the Pars. It's up there with being relegated on penalties by Brechin as the most gutted after a game during my time following the Rovers.

28 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Will be really weird seeing a potential centre back pairing of Ian Murray and Dylan Corr this week. I can actually see Murray and Potter getting more game time than Corr.

I'd prefer to see Shaun Dennis cutting serial imposter Yogi Hughes straight in half.

39 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

When people talking about how bad we did against Arbroath a few weeks ago I immediately thought about that game against the Pars. It's up there with being relegated on penalties by Brechin as the most gutted after a game during my time following the Rovers.

The Alloa home 0-0 game when we needed to win to secure the league was another awful day. 

7 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Of course it’s nonsense. 
Even if the Boardroom didn’t want us to go up, the majority of our squad have never played in the top flight or won a league. 
Do you really think there’s anything the Board could say to them to get them to drop just enough points to finish second instead of first and give up the chance to play Premiership football?

If we don’t win the league it’ll be because ultimately our quality in depth wasn’t there. 
Not because of some conspiracy theory. 

18 hours ago, RR #1 said:

Don't take my posts so seriously. We definitely won't win the league with games to spare. Was just making point about how bad United were on Friday, while we played ok yesterday.

I honestly can't see United only winning 4 out of 7 though. They aren't going to line up like they did on Friday again. I reckon with our inferior goal difference we will need to win 6 games including the one in Dundee to take the title.

12 hours ago, FitbaSupporter said:

SPFL Championship
Form Guide
Points Last Six

Airdrie 11
Raith Rovers 11
Dundee Utd 10
Dunfermline 10
Ayr Utd 9
Queens Park 7
Inverness CT 7
Partick Thistle 5
Morton 5
Arbroath 5

Interesting to see us creeping back up to the top of this form table. Shows how we’ve steadied the ship since January/February. Also reinforces how much the points are being spread around teams. We’re joint top with plenty of points to play for. We’ve lost five league games all season. We’re guaranteed a play-off if we don’t get above United. Time for Rovers fans to get behind the team and just enjoy it. 

I rest my case.

4 hours ago, Jilted John said:

Will be really weird seeing a potential centre back pairing of Ian Murray and Dylan Corr this week. I can actually see Murray and Potter getting more game time than Corr.

Behave!

I honestly can't decide if some of our supporters (and one on here in particular) are actually on the wind-up or are actually as thick as they seem.

We are nowhere near good enough to think we have a right just to turn up at Hampden and beat Queens Park.  We played reasonably well and were the only team that looked like going on to win that match on Saturday.  Bur for another great performance by a cracking young goalie, we would have won.

There are far more positives to take from that game than there are negatives.

As Duncan said on the podcast, if we'd drawn away to Thistle then beaten QP, nobody would be accusing us of having "shat it"".  We were 4 points behind United a week ago and are now level on points having kept 3 clean sheets in a row (including 2 away games against teams with 2 of the best strikers in the league).  All in all it's been a great week. 

30 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

We are nowhere near good enough to think we have a right just to turn up at Hampden and beat Queens Park.  We played reasonably well and were the only team that looked like going on to win that match on Saturday.  Bur for another great performance by a cracking young goalie, we would have won.

Scores don't always reflect performances - that's football. When you watch that back you would have thought we would have scored, but we didn't. I don't think there was anything inherently wrong with the performance from us... it just wasn't our day. Add in a wonderful performance by the Queen's keeper (making what could go down as his save of the season) and I am not unhappy with what we ended up with. I also feel a lot of credit needs to go to Callum Davidson and the Queens Park team on achieving that result.

People are talking about us being unable to take advantage when we had the opportunity. To that, I say we finished the day on equal points to United when we were a point behind. That is progress.

Nobody at the end of the season will look back and say that game is the one that potentially cost us - that honour belongs to Arbroath 🤣.

6 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

You can tart it up all you want. After Friday night that was definitely a missed opportunity. You might not get another. 

I don't think anyone is saying that they are happy not taking the full 3 points away. What my view point is, however,  that at the end of the season and we don't win the league and look back - that match is not the match that I will see as a missed opportunity. There is much more low hanging fruit than that one. Just because a poor Dundee United lost to a very good performance by Dunfermline (who knew Mehmet was a decent goal keeper?), did not mean Queens Park would lie down for us. If anything, the upped their game.

Missed opportunities are subjective. The performance on Saturday was good enough. More important points were dropped in poor performances elsewhere.

35 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

You can tart it up all you want. After Friday night that was definitely a missed opportunity. You might not get another. 

We have had plenty chances to take advantage of Utd results and Utd have had plenty chances to take advantage of our results. But here we are, 7 games left, both on the same points, both dropping points on average every 3 ish games. Points will be dropped from both teams in the remaining 7 games. 

But it’s okay da_no_1, you can win your next 7 games and we can lose them and you’d still finish behind us. 

21 minutes ago, Offshore Rover said:

But it’s okay da_no_1, you can win your next 7 games and we can lose them and you’d still finish behind us

That'll look good in the trophy cabinet at the end of the season right enough......

1 hour ago, chris1883 said:

hanging fruit than that one. Just because a poor Dundee United lost to a very good performance by Dunfermline (who knew Mehmet was a decent goal keeper?), 

Your takeaway from the very good Dunfermline performance was Mehmet? I can't remember him doing much at all. I think he could've done better with the goal if anything. 

42 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Your takeaway from the very good Dunfermline performance was Mehmet?

Yes. I don't think he was good, just decent in that game. In most other matches I've seen him in I would use the words inept/ clown/ crap/ concerning to describe him. Best performance I have seen of him by miles. Or United were maybe just really, really poor. 

7 minutes ago, chris1883 said:

Yes. I don't think he was good, just decent in that game. In most other matches I've seen him in I would use the words inept/ clown/ crap/ concerning to describe him. Best performance I have seen of him by miles. Or United were maybe just really, really poor. 

I wouldn't disagree with the majority of that post, he's had a poor season. 

I just can't think of anything he done on Friday, I think he came for a cross ball once, which was both unexpected and exciting.