The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I don't think there will be a massive clear out because you need continuity and some times the character of the player is as important as there talent.

Despite being in limbo as to where we would play for so long I expect there will be players lined up already.

Looking at who's out of contract I'll go for the following. 

Released

Watson 

Ross

Millen

McGill

Back to parent club 

Turner

Ashcroft

Rudden

J Brown

Offered terms 

Dick

Matthews

Corr

Thompson

McNeil

Byrne 

Moving on

Easton

I don’t think you will be too far off with that bud tbh 

Positives: we actually won a play-off game and got to the final.

Negatives: we got pumped in the final.

I absolutely despise the play-offs. I wonder if we’ll ever win them.

Now that the season is over what have we to look forward to over the next 4-5 weeks. Players, managers, directors are all due a well deserved holiday, but before that the club will have to release a squad update.

All loam players will return to their parent clubs. 

I'd like to see us make moves for Ashcroft and Turner. 

In terms of out of contract I'd release

Dick

Millen

Corr

Watson

McGill

Ross

and offer terms to Matthews and Easton.

Of our contracted players I would potentially make available Connolly as he's not been the same player as previous seasons.

We're a bit lightweight across the pitch and could do with finding some pace. A rebuild of the defence is a must. 

10 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I don't think there will be a massive clear out because you need continuity and some times the character of the player is as important as there talent.

Despite being in limbo as to where we would play for so long I expect there will be players lined up already.

Released

Watson 

Ross

Millen

McGill

Back to parent club 

Turner

Ashcroft

Rudden

J Brown

Offered terms 

Dick

Matthews

Corr

Thompson

McNeil

Byrne 

Moving on

Easton

I can see this being spot on. Feel for McGill as he always seems solid when given a chance, but they have been few and far between.

9 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

If we are keeping Corr and Dick, it absolutely must be with a view to them being squad players.  That defence needs rebuilt.

I agree I would have Dick as cover because he can do a job at CB as well. 

I'd actually send Corr out on loan for the first half of the season at least. There is a player there but he just needs games. 

Dick must be close to playing the most games/minutes during the season.Been pretty solid and finished the season well. Will depend on what the club think of Hannah’s chances of starting whether he stays or not.

I’d definitely give Corr another contract.

Gutted for Watson, thought we looked a lot better team when he played.

Matthews will get another year.

Not sure on McGill, with Matthews playing that Right Back role at end of the season I think McGill might no longer be the utility man.

Ross will be gone hopefully.

Interesting to see what McNeil wants to do.

Rudden and Brown no thanks.

Byrne and Turner yes please.

Ashcroft wait and see.

I hope we keep Easton.

11 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Now that the season is over what have we to look forward to over the next 4-5 weeks. Players, managers, directors are all due a well deserved holiday, but before that the club will have to release a squad update.

Can't see anybody getting much time off to chill this week, got imagine it's going to be full on this week at Stark's.  Out of contract players to speak to about contracts, leading into the squad update.  Plus you have to imagine there's been deals for other non-Rovers players that have been waiting for the outcome of today before they get offered or not.   Going along with all that I wouldn't be surprised to see Season Tickets out during the week.

1 minute ago, SanStarko said:

Can't see anybody getting much time off to chill this week, got imagine it's going to be full on this week at Stark's.  Out of contract players to speak to about contracts, leading into the squad update.  Plus you have to imagine there's been deals for other non-Rovers players that have been waiting for the outcome of today before they get offered or not.   Going along with all that I wouldn't be surprised to see Season Tickets out during the week.

Reckon most of the above will be sorted.

25 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I'd guess:

Released

Watson 

Ross

Millen

McGill

Back to parent club 

Turner

Ashcroft

Rudden

J Brown

Offered terms 

Dick

Matthews

Corr

Thompson

McNeil

Byrne (declines offers elsewhere to remain)

McGill

Turner

Easton (however, signs elsewhere after declining our offer) 

Moving on

Easton

From who is out of contract, that I can remember;

Dick out... Make that the social media post! 

Mitchell, masson, arnott, Ross, Millen, Watson, mcgill, who iv just never seen the hype around if I'm being honest. 

Keep: Matthews, corr, Thomson & mcneil as squad players. Easton as a starter. 

Loan players I'd keep: Turner and Byrne. 

Dabrowski, new rb, new cb, Murray, new lb, brown, Byrne, mullin, Stanton, Easton, vaughan (4231). That's the base of a team that can win the league next season. Shifting vaughan to striker is needed because Sam Stanton is our best player and needs to be played there when possible imo. 

I won't get in to players who are in contract for keep/move on, but that's what I'd do. 

Releasing Corr would be a foolish move I feel. A very good young defender that has more than stepped up in these playoffs. Composed on the ball, quick and ultimately still learning the game, we should be planning to build a defence around players like that longer term, instead of those at the twilight of their careers. Watson has probably been more valuable off the pitch than he has on it given the injuries, if we're in for Hanlon or Ashcroft, i'd expect similar next season.

I suspect Millen, Ross, Arnott, Watson and likely Masson will be released, Dick as well depending on who we have in mind for left back. None of this "i'd keep x as a backup". Unless they're a young player, thats not a good financial plan, we're not in a position to have two senior players for all roles. 

Thomson, Matthews, McNeil, McGill and Corr should be offered new deals and we should look at trying to get Byrne in permanently. Easton will be offered terms, he enjoys it here, but it depends what else he is offered. Could he be a replacement for Dhanda? Quite probably. Motherwell? Maybe. Dundee, possibly too. 

I'd like us to look at Chalmers, McMann and Sanders if possible. I can't see Turner being let go by County for free and we won't be offering money for him, we don't have that. 

Decisions need to be made on a few of the contracted players too. Connolly hasn't performed this year, for a few reasons, similarly Hamilton as we just don't play to his strengths (clue, its not high balls to win flick ons). Offer them out for transfer/loan if we're not going to play the football they thrive on. 

4 hours ago, North West said:

I'm just about done with you lot, you're boring f**k out me now. I'm going to go over there soon to make a complete fuckin nuisance of myself. I hate them.

Aw   naw......oor wee precious snowflake is leaving us😒??? Is it yer bedtime??

6 hours ago, Wee Sandy said:

i THINK THERE WILL BE MONEY SPENT OVER THE SUMMER.....must be a fair bit of dosh coming our way........

BETWEEN OUR 2ND PLACE FINISH AND 4 TELEVISION APPEARANCES.

There is virtually no money to be made from the play offs. Huge majority of any money after costs goes to the league 

25 minutes ago, grumswall said:

From who is out of contract, that I can remember;

Dick out... Make that the social media post! 

Mitchell, masson, arnott, Ross, Millen, Watson, mcgill, who iv just never seen the hype around if I'm being honest. 

Keep: Matthews, corr, Thomson & mcneil as squad players. Easton as a starter. 

Loan players I'd keep: Turner and Byrne. 

Dabrowski, new rb, new cb, Murray, new lb, brown, Byrne, mullin, Stanton, Easton, vaughan (4231). That's the base of a team that can win the league next season. Shifting vaughan to striker is needed because Sam Stanton is our best player and needs to be played there when possible imo. 

I won't get in to players who are in contract for keep/move on, but that's what I'd do. 

Mitchell’s already released…Millen’s dead in IM’s basement…

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

None of this "i'd keep x as a backup". Unless they're a young player, thats not a good financial plan, we're not in a position to have two senior players for all roles. 

I don't agree with this. Circumstances allow flexibility and some positions quite simply need more cover. 

I doubt Liam Dick is one of the club's top earners, for example, and I absolutely would keep him as backup. There are better LBs, but he is good enough to play there and he can cover at CB as well if required and stop us putting a midfielder there. He also possesses a quality that I wish some of our other players could replicate: he is rarely injured. He will be good defensive cover and I am almost certain if we keep him in that role that he'll get at least 20 appearances. 

In terms of the out of contract players, I expect Ross and Millen are certs to go and I don't think McGill will stay either, due to lack of game time. Watson has been very good for us when he's played, but that has not been anywhere near often enough due to injury and I would try to bring in a player less likely to be injured. I would like to keep Easton, even if he was out of form after Christmas. 

Of our loanees, I would love us to sign Turner but it won't happen. Not sure what Dundee have in store for Ashcroft, but if he's made available then half the league will be after him. Byrne we already know has been released and I am sure he has plenty offers as well. I'd like us to sign him, although not with quite the same gusto as I did in the first half of the season. 

Edited by Michael W