The New Raith Rovers Thread

19 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Aye, we heard that about Whittaker aswell, and Morton fans will be quick to tell you that Broadfoot is the fittest player in the club but you wouldn't want him to play full back eh? 

The experience he can pass onto other players and the community coaching is absolutely valid of course! 

On the last point is there space? You'd imagine that Fordyce would also want involved in that, and from the playoffs it looked like you already had a couple of coaches. 

I'm not sure how viable they are, but McMann or Strapp would've been better IMO. 

Strapp really isn't that great a defender. If he was, he wouldn't be where he is. His Britain's Got Talent throw could be useful with Fordyce up for attacks but I've never watched him play and thought we should have signed him. 

19 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Got to love the Pars fans, when it was announced he was leaving Hibs they were all wanting to sign him. Now he’s come to us they are all saying he’s past it. Glorious!

Can only presume that there's either a good few posters there that aren't Pars fans, or you've just made it up. 

Going to go for the second option there tbh. 

23 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Got to love the Pars fans, when it was announced he was leaving Hibs they were all wanting to sign him. Now he’s come to us they are all saying he’s past it. Glorious!

Well that clearly isn't true. Quite a few Pars fans not arsed. Quite a few think it's a good signing. I'm thinking somewhere in the middle although its probably only the Courier or the Pratt Street Beano that made out we had a hope of signing him.

We will clearly be in the market for a LB shortly but Stevenson not the type our owners usually advocate signing.

So not really that glorious. 

Got to agree. Didn't see much clamour from Pars fans at all for him to sign him. The consensus was that of the two they'd prefer Hanlon. Generally the view was that Stevenson was most likely to come to us given his ties.

I think he's a good signing. I think he'll help a lot in the development of Callum Hannah.  

54 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Never said that. In fact none I know personally were interested.

Stevenson a good signing for Raith. Would have absolutely taken him at the Pars but I think we all knew if he was going to continue playing then he would be doing that in Kirkcaldy.

Think there's a decent chance we go for Hanlon, however I think a lot of the Championship clubs will be keen, maybe even a Premiership club like St Johnstone. However, if he decides to take a step down to the Championship I could realistically see Raith, Pars, Livi, Falkirk, Thistle all being keen for his signature. 

2 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Can only presume that there's either a good few posters there that aren't Pars fans, or you've just made it up. 

Going to go for the second option there tbh. 

Well here’s one for starters…

IMG_0030.jpeg

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Got to agree. Didn't see much clamour from Pars fans at all for him to sign him. The consensus was that of the two they'd prefer Hanlon. Generally the view was that Stevenson was most likely to come to us given his ties.

I think he's a good signing. I think he'll help a lot in the development of Callum Hannah.  

Will be interesting to keep an eye on Hannah this year.  At the POTY ball, Murray was talking a bit about him when he won the Young Player award.  He actually mentioned that they don't yet know what his best position will be.  He should learn plenty from Stevenson though, regardless of whether he ends up as a left back or not.

Who really cares if the Pars wanted Stevenson or not or even if they consider him to be a good or poor signing. He's our player, he's apparently very fit although 36 and is stepping down a level from playing in the Premiership.

Jimmy Nicholl was 33/34 when he came to us and still played 128 games, I'm sure Stevenson has looked after himself very well and will do fine for us.  

1 minute ago, raith1974 said:

Who really cares if the Pars wanted Stevenson or not or even if they consider him to be a good or poor signing. He's our player, he's apparently very fit although 36 and is stepping down a level from playing in the Premiership.

Jimmy Nicholl was 33/34 when he came to us and still played 128 games, I'm sure Stevenson has looked after himself very well and will do fine for us.  

Davie Narey might be a closer comparison.

*Away to put £10 on us doing the double*

7 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Davie Narey might be a closer comparison.

*Away to put £10 on us doing the double*

30 years this year since the league Cup 

Artificial pitches to be banned in Premiership from 2026

FootballsIMAGE SOURCE,SNS Image caption,

All Scottish Premiership football will be played on grass pitches come late-2026

• Published
    3 minutes ago

Scottish Premiership clubs have voted to ban artificial pitches in the top flight from 2026.

The SPFL this month issued a resolution to be voted on by all 12 Premiership clubs, with nine votes required for it to pass.

Next season's top flight will be made up of Aberdeen, Celtic, Dundee, Dundee United, Hearts, Hibernian, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Rangers, St Johnstone, St Mirren and either Raith Rovers or Ross County.

Livingston, relegated from the Premiership this season, and Kilmarnock have artificial pitches but Killie plan to return to a grass surface in 2025.

Hamilton Academical, who have won promotion to the Championship, are the only other club to have used artificial turf in the top flight between 2008 and 2011 and from 2014 to 2021.

A league spokesperson said: "The SPFL board has granted a two-year period to allow clubs with an artificial pitch to plan for the phasing out of artificial pitches in the top tier of Scottish football.

"The SPFL board recently approved plans for a Premiership-wide project to work with a leading pitch consultancy firm, which is regularly used by Uefa, to improve the standards of grass pitches in the cinch Premiership. The SPFL will be engaging with Premiership clubs on this project ahead of the new season."

Posted (edited)

Just for shits and giggles the other 30 clubs should vote to outlaw grass pitches. 

Meaning the relegated team has to have an artificial pitch or gets expelled.

Edited by pub car king

I think our pitch has another year or perhaps two left in it, doesn't it? 

I vote that we put grass back in, but also that the slope is restored.