The New Raith Rovers Thread

6 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

It's only 2 seasons ago that Partick were in a spot of financial soapy bubble, so if they're overspending this season and dont make it to the greed is good league, there just might be a cost, our mantra was meant to be value for money on players, so let's just see who Potter and Murray can turn up 

Player signing for Raith = Absolutely above board and clearly they're signing on manageable wages. 

Player signs for rivals = Overspending obviously! 

Some value for money for a 35 year old centre back on a two year deal 👏 

5 hours ago, pub car king said:

Didn't you guys have quite a small squad last year? 

Is it a case of going for quality players in very specific positions.

It was quite a small squad, aye. A bit lopsided with loads of central players and very little on the wings.

Doolan is still learning on the job, and is getting better at these sort of things, but we’ll see if he can build a more balanced squad this upcoming season. It’s one area where I think Raith have an advantage with Murray; just from having the experience of putting together a bunch of squads previously at this level.

2 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Player signing for Raith = Absolutely above board and clearly they're signing on manageable wages. 

Bloody hell, somebody didn’t get a Fri night takeaway 😂😂

IMG_4100.jpeg

Until James Brown got a knock Byrne was warming the bench as Murray was playing Scott Brown and Matthews in the middle, with Corr or Watson in defence. Byrne got his chance again once Matthews moved to RB. Don't think Byrne would be a first choice pick for a midfield spot.

McNeil I think will want 1st team football and if we do sign Hanlon I thi k Corr will be away as well, probably Morton 

13 hours ago, Beachbum said:

So you're not paying £1400/week?

I have no idea whether we are or not but as has been pointed out, the way our board is now set up should ensure no reckless spending or going over budget after the next set of  accounts are issued. 

Whether it's Thistle paying an extra couple of hundred quid a week or us offering multi year deals to players in their mid 30s, both teams are obviously pushing the boat out for the right players. 

Maybe it's just them prioritising midfield and us prioritising defence and the rest of the signings both teams make are at a lower level. 

3 hours ago, MICMAC said:

Until James Brown got a knock Byrne was warming the bench as Murray was playing Scott Brown and Matthews in the middle, with Corr or Watson in defence. Byrne got his chance again once Matthews moved to RB. Don't think Byrne would be a first choice pick for a midfield spot.

McNeil I think will want 1st team football and if we do sign Hanlon I thi k Corr will be away as well, probably Morton 

Even though Byrne lost his place to Matthews, I do think he's a better, and slightly different type of, player than him. 

Not enough that it would be a disaster if he signs elsewhere, but enough that we'd all be pretty happy if he signed with us. 

A lot of comments on here about Thistle splashing the cash.

For what it's worth, none of us have any idea who's being offered what, but I doubt we're offering 40% more than you for a player we'd both like to have.

And you don't bring in Hibs players for pennies.

I doubt either club are being reckless, just prioritising different areas of the squad and possibly placing different value on particular players/areas of the pitch.

We undoubtedly had to strengthen in defence and, as noted above, with Matthews, Stanton and Brown all signed I can't see us pushing too far for Byrne so if Thistle are then they would be favourites at this stage.

Would love it if he came back to us though, he is a class player.

10 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Clearly a case of clubs having budgets but prioritizing different areas to stretch the budget.

we have to stretch it for the defence and Thistle stretching it for midfield.

Re McBeth, I heard when Ryan Stevenson was manager at Glenafton he trying to whore him out  to Ayr United in a weekly basis only for them to repeatedly turn him down or show a general level of indifference 

41 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

3000 actually seems like a realistic target at the moment.

Saw some guy handed back his life time ticket, didn't realise there were any still out there.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, RaithRovers1883 said:

Can someone please explain the background to these lifetime season tickets?

It was a lifetime ago 🥺

If I recall correctly, thirty years ago or thereabouts the club under the short lived chairmanship of Alan Kelly ( he of the  copiers on the strip of that time) needed to raise money to keep things afloat and to generate income. One of the ways used was to ask fans to put in a lump of money i.e. purchase a lifetime season ticket and in return they had a season ticket for life. Simply that. Not a ten year or twenty years season ticket (or any other time span) but for the purchaser's lifetime. I can't remember what the uptake was at the time but I don't think it was as successful as hoped for, however the agreement had to be honoured. I'm guessing now but I don't think that there will be many if any now still being used . Others may know differently.

Edited by embow
Minor changes

9 minutes ago, embow said:

It was a lifetime ago 🥺

If I recall correctly, thirty years ago or thereabouts the club under the short lived chairmanship of Alan Kelly ( he of the  copiers on the strip of that time) needed to raise money to keep things afloat and to generate income. One of the ways used was to ask fans to put in a lump of money i.e. purchase a lifetime season ticket and in return they had a season ticket for life. Simply that. Not a ten year or twenty years season ticket (or any other time span) but for the purchaser's lifetime. I can't remember what the uptake was at the time but I don't think it was as successful as hoped for, however the agreement had to be honoured. I'm guessing now but I don't think that there will be many if any now still being used . Others may know differently.

Pretty much this.

It was £1000, but the club since asked those who bought them to consider cashing them in for shares, which I think a lot of folk did.

On the face of it, it was a great deal for anyone buying one, but it was really just another of the scattergun schemes devised by the board in that era.

Our financial management was such, that the lifetime tickets were billed as giving us a cash injection to keep the club afloat.

Fairplay to the hundred or so people that took the gamble and paid £1000. I would imagine given deaths and people handing them back that there would be less than fifty of them left.

I remember maybe 5 years ago there was 40 odd people still claiming lifetime season tickets. I assume that has dropped slightly now though. Everyone who still claims one has certainly made their money back. Equally, who knows where we would be if those people didn’t pay the £1000 each