The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

It’s actually a decent bit higher, but…the methodology is always the question. While the Scottish Premiership gets five teams in this years UEFA rankings, the Irish get none. The rub is the top team (Celtic) have a rating score about three times that of the 12 place team, and the Irish Premier is the top league in a county the same size as Scotland.

On current form, we can see the Scottish Premiership ranked 60th (with a 68.4), the Irish Premier ranked 97th (with a 63.1), between English League One (65th) and Two (117th). The Scottish Championship shows in 171st (with a 52.4), just below the Welsh Premier at 163rd. With the methodology used, 10 points is equal to 1 goal, so an “average” Irish Premiership team would, on average, be expected to defeat an average Scottish Championship team by 1 goal. In the same vein, a Scottish Premiership team is expected to beat a Scottish Championship team by about 1.5 goals, on average.

Sanity check: Both Bowie and Hendry moved to, and played well in, English League Two (which is evaluated as +0.5 goals vs Scottish Championship and 1.5 vs Scottish League One). Gullan moved “up” to the Irish Premier and struggled at first on close to their weakest team, having left one of the strongest Scottish Championship teams when he was having trouble cracking the starting lineup, so that tracks.

Nah. It's dugmeat over there. 

Whilst Freeman might not be a signing to tingle your sack. It has been mentioned that he is a confidence player and needs to feel loved, I think the feel good factor at San Starko might be the right place for him.

Nevertheless, he's a RB and relatively young with a few games behind him at a half decent level. 

A 24 year old who has been capped at under 21 level, has experience of winning the championship and has played premier league and European football is certainly an upgrade on paper from what we started and finished last season with.

Injury history is a worry though, perhaps that the thinking behind the 1 year deal.

Definitely balances up the defence and brings the average age of the squad back down a wee bit too.

25 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

A 24 year old who has been capped at under 21 level, has experience of winning the championship and has played premier league and European football is certainly an upgrade on paper from what we started and finished last season with.

Injury history is a worry though, perhaps that the thinking behind the 1 year deal.

Definitely balances up the defence and brings the average age of the squad back down a wee bit too.

It's a stretch to credit Kieran with any contribution to the championship win last season. I haven't checked but I'd be surprised if he featured in more than a couple of league games. He was miles out of the picture before being freed in January.

On the plus side, he had a very bad injury while at Southampton but doesn't seem to be particularly troubled by that now. Certainly its never occurred to me that he's injury prone. Kieran's issues are all between the ears now. If those can be sorted then he'll be a very good player at Championship level,  if not I can see him sinking like a stone.

30 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

It's a stretch to credit Kieran with any contribution to the championship win last season. I haven't checked but I'd be surprised if he featured in more than a couple of league games. He was miles out of the picture before being freed in January.

On the plus side, he had a very bad injury while at Southampton but doesn't seem to be particularly troubled by that now. Certainly its never occurred to me that he's injury prone. Kieran's issues are all between the ears now. If those can be sorted then he'll be a very good player at Championship level,  if not I can see him sinking like a stone.

Article below suggests he was part of the 2019/20 title winning side... 

Granted he probably had limited input to that if he re-joined in January and the league was curtailed in March.

KIERAN FREEMAN JOINS ST PATRICK'S ATHLETIC ON PERMANENT TRANSFER | Dundee United Football Club (dundeeunitedfc.co.uk)

Hard to comment on the quality of the league of Ireland but it has become a good source for players with a fair sprinkling in the top two divisions.

Aberdeen have just signed a defender from Bohemians, Motherwell have one or two regulars from there @capt_oats

Dan O'Reilly I think played there as did Wasiri Williams who are now at Thistle.

Might not work out for some but there's definitely a favourable recent precedent for getting a good level of player from that league. 

Edited by Claudia Gentile

13 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Ryan Christie somehow plays in the English Premier League, can we doubt its quality too? 😜

Is that the guy who was one of their best players last season you're on about?

Potter and Murray have obviously seen something in Freeman that they like and think he'll do well for us at this level.  I trust their judgement and really hope they're proved to be correct about him.  I don't imagine he'll be eating into the remaining budget too much either so will hopefully leave room for another couple of signings.  We can all look forward to trying to guess who trialists 1, 2 & 3 are at New Bayview on Saturday (that's just an assumption btw - no inside info).

3 hours ago, AllanJM said:

Potter and Murray have obviously seen something in Freeman that they like and think he'll do well for us at this level.  I trust their judgement and really hope they're proved to be correct about him.  I don't imagine he'll be eating into the remaining budget too much either so will hopefully leave room for another couple of signings.  We can all look forward to trying to guess who trialists 1, 2 & 3 are at New Bayview on Saturday (that's just an assumption btw - no inside info).

Probably see a few of the Community foundation players as trialists 

4 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

Article below suggests he was part of the 2019/20 title winning side... 

Granted he probably had limited input to that if he re-joined in January and the league was curtailed in March.

KIERAN FREEMAN JOINS ST PATRICK'S ATHLETIC ON PERMANENT TRANSFER | Dundee United Football Club (dundeeunitedfc.co.uk)

Aye, fair enough. I suppose he did contribute to that season. I was thinking only of last season.

20 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

A reminder that Jonathan Afolabi ran riot in that league. If it's higher rated, then it's not by much. 

The Irish Premier League is Scottish championship at best. The Northern Irish Premiership is Scottish League 1 bottom half Championship. I went to a few Cliftonville games and they said it’s not the same standard as ours 

The squad on paper looks solid as your going to get for the level we are at without going daft and splashing stupid money. 

Just another striker but those are at a premium and probably be a loan signing. Could potentially tilly argue another CB but I think Dick will be the cover there. 

Murray normally keeps a bit back to cover loans as well when we start to pick up injuries but hopefully they all come through pre season unscathed. 

15 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

I haven’t been reading any other club threads. But I’d hope we could be looking at Wotherspoon. But I could see clubs like QP, Partick and Livi will likely splash the cash to snap him up. 

Training with the Pars

19 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

I haven’t been reading any other club threads. But I’d hope we could be looking at Wotherspoon. But I could see clubs like QP, Partick and Livi will likely splash the cash to snap him up. 

Decent player, but very injury prone.

What’s his best position these days? He was a winger but we already have 5 fairly good players in that position. If he’s more of a 10 nowadays then we already have Vaughan and Stanton in that position. If there’s anything left in the budget then it’ll surely go on a striker.