The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I’ve seen a couple of comments now that suggest Airdrie have recruited better than ourselves or are in better shape than us. 

I’d be interested to know what that’s based on. 

Airdrie have lost the spine of their team, and the vast majority of their signings are from the divisions below us, Ireland and England. 

Now, they might all be class, but I’m unsure how anyone could possibly know anything about them to form an opinion? 

My first instinct is that they’re probably a bit weaker based on their summer, and I don’t think beating a terrible Lowland League side changes anything. 

I can certainly go by the fact that Ben Wilson from Cliftonville was highly rated and I went to a few of their games, he and Ronan Hale were the  standouts in their team, how we never looked near the Irish Premier clubs for players is weird as Linfield, Larne, Glentoran and Cliftonville are quite easily top to middle Championship level. 

47 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

A player can play for 2 clubs in one season, that's usually his parent club and a loan club, or two loan clubs. As Hannah didn't play on Saturday, he is able to join Montrose and play in the cup for them. 

2 clubs “in official matches”…but once he’s loaned to Montrose he cannot play for Raith until at least the first day of the next window “in official matches”. Same reason Hannah and co couldn’t play for Raith after the end of their loan clubs seasons because the next window hadn’t opened yet, per Annex A 55 (iii).

1 hour ago, Stardog_champion said:

I can certainly go by the fact that Ben Wilson from Cliftonville was highly rated and I went to a few of their games, he and Ronan Hale were the  standouts in their team, how we never looked near the Irish Premier clubs for players is weird as Linfield, Larne, Glentoran and Cliftonville are quite easily top to middle Championship level. 

How do you know we never looked near the Irish premier clubs?

1 hour ago, Stardog_champion said:

I thought Cliftonville were terrible when we played them last year, and I would be pretty dissapointed if that's the level we were looking at - not a hope in hell they are a top level Championship side.

Edited by CALDERON

40 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I thought Cliftonville were terrible when we played them last year, and I would be pretty dissapointed if that's the level we were looking at - not a hope in hell they are a top level Championship side.

Doesn't mean they don't or won't have a few players that make that level. 

We've signed players from QotS and East Kilbride and St. Pats Athletic this season, are you disappointed that we've been looking at that level? 

Edited by CountryBumpkin

11 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

We've signed players from QotS and East Kilbride and St. Pats Athletic this season, are you disappointed that we've been looking at that level? 

This.

Ben Wilson was excellent last night, his 2nd goal in particular was the type of finish we didn’t have the forwards for last season. Very happy with him so far.

The narrative that signings need to be from a certain level or their shite is a bit daft.

2 hours ago, Stardog_champion said:

Cliftonville were nowhere near top to middle championship level when they played at Stark's Park last year.

We beat them 3-0 without getting out of second gear.

34 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

That's fair, guess my point was more around the narrative that the Northern Irish league is some kind of untapped market that we wild for not exploring.  

36 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

That's fair, guess my point was more around the narrative that the Northern Irish league is some kind of untapped market that we wild for not exploring.  

Understood. It may well be, but I guess like the English market, players from there come with extra associated costs, such as accommodation. The wider we cast our net, so to speak, you'd hope that more good players become available to us in the longer run.

I didn’t think we played as bad as others did and on another day could have been pretty comfortable. Vaughan has a massive influence on this team, and is our biggest threat for a goal. The other options just aren’t as clinical. Not sure he always gets the credit he deserves due to the time he has been here.

Hamilton has had a bit of a stop start career at the Rovers and yesterday was no exception. Feel bad for the guy, but it is starting to look like we are going to have to sign someone else to compete with him to either push him on or contribute towards our goal tally, because I am not sure Smith’s game is the central striker role.

Have just seen that Hibs are interested in Kieron Bowie and that they may well not be the only club in the premiership as clubs have been alerted to his availability.

On last nights match, have to say we were lucky at the end, hat's off to Stranraer they like Airdrie knew how to play against us with a terrific high pressing game and it almost came off but thankfully we got the win.

We were slow and lack of movement and sloppy on the ball at times and we really do lack pace in the team and are totally requiring 1 if not 2 strikers in as sadly Hamilton doesn't look like he is going to have any better as season than last season and without Vaughan we are pretty toothless up front.

But things could be worse, being a pars fan.....Jesus they are seething after last night 😄

23 minutes ago, Raith69 said:

Have just seen that Hibs are interested in Kieron Bowie and that they may well not be the only club in the premiership as clubs have been alerted to his availability.

On last nights match, have to say we were lucky at the end, hat's off to Stranraer they like Airdrie knew how to play against us with a terrific high pressing game and it almost came off but thankfully we got the win.

We were slow and lack of movement and sloppy on the ball at times and we really do lack pace in the team and are totally requiring 1 if not 2 strikers in as sadly Hamilton doesn't look like he is going to have any better as season than last season and without Vaughan we are pretty toothless up front.

But things could be worse, being a pars fan.....Jesus they are seething after last night 😄

He's played 48 minutes of competitive football and scored one goal. Genuinely not sure what more you're expecting?

1 minute ago, Broken Algorithms said:

He's played 48 minutes of competitive football and scored one goal. Genuinely not sure what more you're expecting?

I couldn't be happier for him last night at getting his goal but what with his injury record and how we deploy him in the team ie with support running off his knock/flick on's which hardly ever happen either due to a lack of winning high balls or most often no support then I can't see much changing for him. I personally like him but his luck is just not there for him sadly but hopefully it does soon and he can get us the goals.

Must’ve missed that terrific high press Stranraer played. They actually did the very opposite and let us have the ball at the back. That’s literally the opposite of a high press. They stayed in the game then had a go with 10 minutes to go and it nearly worked. 

The one hope I have for Hamilton is that if we can get him on the park at the same time as Gibson we might have some joy. Gibson is already approaching the point where he's worth a regular place in the team for his set pieces alone. He took two free kicks last night and put them both right on the head of a Rovers player.

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The one hope I have for Hamilton is that if we can get him on the park at the same time as Gibson we might have some joy. Gibson is already approaching the point where he's worth a regular place in the team for his set pieces alone. He took two free kicks last night and put them both right on the head of a Rovers player.

You’re spot on. Gibson’s crossing ability has the potential to get the best out of Hamilton. 

Wholeheartedly agree re Gibson.

A couple of posters thought upon signing that he’d be immediately loaned out. Regular football at L1 level tells you that’s not required and the thoughts behind his signing.

He clearly offers something different, we usually play this one two stuff around teams but he looks far more direct and has an eye for a shot. Also want to see more of Montagu. Looks a confident lad and always showing for the ball when he’s had minutes (ICT and Stirling).

Agreed also on another striker. There’s a top Championship striker in Hamilton…I’m absolutely convinced but you have to go on facts not potential or what you think. Billy McKay at 35 years of age would’ve been worth a 1 year deal. I’m sure the club will get something sorted.

Just watched after missing last night. Always seem to get one of those games in group stage.

Looked like we missed some decent chances-poor finishing, couple of decent saves and poor decision making.

Think Murray and co will be on the hunt for a striker but it’s finding the right one.Hopefully Hamilton is ok and Vaughan is back when Murray said he would be-can’t see it though.

Saturday will be a different game/test.I’m quietly confident.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Must’ve missed that terrific high press Stranraer played. They actually did the very opposite and let us have the ball at the back. That’s literally the opposite of a high press. They stayed in the game then had a go with 10 minutes to go and it nearly worked. 

Davie Hancock even mentioned on commentary last night that he was impressed by how much they were closing us down and pressing high up the pitch.

We just lacked the idea of how to open them up.