The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, Jilted John said:

Technically it’s probably the best time… the new guy will have pretty much a full season and the transfer window hasn’t closed.

That's a hard one to justify. How much of your budget is left, who's kicking about without a job and the new guy will have to manage a group that might not fit with his tactics. It's a bit like starting a race with a shoelace untied. 

4 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

That's a hard one to justify. How much of your budget is left, who's kicking about without a job and the new guy will have to manage a group that might not fit with his tactics. It's a bit like starting a race with a shoelace untied. 

Would agree. Whoever comes in will have ideas for players and staff he'll want to bring with him, also needs time to get up to speed. 

Honestly can’t say I’m disappointed! Some crazy decisions last year cost us the league. The way he left players out when they should have played and the rumours with Ross which will come out soon.

Karma is a b*tch ian.  Hopefully our next manager has better people management skills than IM!  Said it before his new contract was far too premature. 

8 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

How much of your budget is left

Our CEO was in the papers last week saying there was still money available to bring in some additional players and that as a club it was still on the agenda to strengthen the squad. Whether that's up the swanny now that we'll have to factor in paying off Murray and/or potentially having to part with cash for an already contracted manager remains to be seen. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The average age of Raith's 10 outfielders (removed goalies as fitness isn't really a factor for them) yesterday was 30, by comparison ours was 23, and 32 year old McCabe is the oldest by 6 years.

I've no idea about Raith's training and coming back to pre-season late may have had an affect (although could also argue shorter break means less match fitness is lost during the summer) but I'd say part of the answer is staring you in the face with the above stat. I'm not saying that players still shouldn't be able to play at this level into their 30s, clearly they can and should. But all things being equal an average 23 year old is going to be quicker and be able to recover much better than a 30 year old can, and likely be less prone to picking up niggly/stress related injuries. The only one with any real pace in that team is Smith. Gibson looked bright when he came on not because he did anything amazing but just because he has a bit of pace and energy about him which stood out in such a one-paced team.

Raith have prioritised experience and pedigree at this level in their recruitment, but to me it seems haven't got the right balance with younger, pacier players to bring a bit more energy to the side. I'd imagine we are probably the youngest and Raith the oldest so it probably stands out more in that match-up, would need to see what the average is for other sides. But even the best sports science team would be working with 1 hand tied behind their back if half the team are over 30 and other teams in the league are mainly guys in their early/mid 20s.

And even Smith spent the last ten minutes hirpling about and would clearly have been taken off if there was another substitution available.  Raith will be hoping that the decision to keep him on and not go down to nine men was worth it and that he's not made something worse.

Certainly didn't expect to wake up after nightshift to that news today.

A lot of theories and supposition out there and I doubt the club will be as transparent on the matter as some would like. 

Something hasn't been right since Christmas and rumours have been rife about unhappiness in the dressing room, changes were needed, however I didn't expect it to be this or this quickly though.

Replacement candidates:

Cameron, Potter, Imrie, Hughes, Holt, Locke, Stevenson, Hanlon, Fordyce, Dodds, McIntyre, McCall, Hartley, Hopkin, Grant,  Steven McLean, Duffy, Thomson,  Fergusson (any) or Young - NO!

Brian Graham? Surely not!

McKinnon. Naw! well maybe aye, but only if McKenzie's conservatory boys could build him a Serpentarium instead of a managers office.

Pink and his bunnet wearing bruv? Other than Margie & Jen who'd want that?

Courts, did well at United until he fell out with Tony Asgar, done nowt since but wouldn't rule him out.

Magilton, would be interesting.

Barry Robson, interesting

Jack, unlikely

Calderon, interesting but unlikely

McCabe, extremely unlikely.

Edited to add.

Having re-listened to the post match interview and also the ONNN podcast I wonder if the theories on manager's shelf life are on the mark, the rumour machine has speculated that Murray has been losing the dressing room bit by bit for over 6 months. Murray talked about his team being flat and the ONNN guys reckoned he was maybe worried he didn't know how to fix it, could he have become of the mindset I've lost the dressing room and don't know how to sort it?

Edited by Scottydog

When I saw the club had tweeted a statement yesterday, I'd initially thought that there'd maybe been some fan misdemeanour from the weekend that they were going to scold, so let out an audible gasp when I realised exactly what they were telling us. 

As much as I was taken aback, I wasn't gutted though, which considering I quite like Ian Murray, surprised me, and made me feel a little guilty at the same time.

I suspect I could probably sit with people who have completely polar opinions on whether it was the right decision or not, and agree with both of them though, if that makes sense? 

Let's face it, the optics aren't great. Huckling your manager out the door after losing your first league game to a decent side away from home feels very strange, and while the statement pointed at the form, you'd imagine other issues have been simmering away. If Murray had a brilliant relationship with the board, you'd imagine he gets more time. 

That said, I did say after that loss at Tannadice, that our tactics and set up were so wild that if the season fizzled out, Murray would be under a bit of pressure, and while that wasn't quite the case, something that no-one can quite put their finger on hasn't been right for a while now. 

I've no idea if the relationship between Murray and the players had broken down, and we'll likely never know definitively, but since that 1-0 win over Dundee United at Tannadice in December, we've won 11 games in 31, which doesn't feel like a very good record. 

I know Rovers fans can bristle at talk about budgets, but I suspect we'll be there or thereabouts at having the biggest budget in the league this season, with some of the highest earners in the division, and that isn't being spent to have almost literally no shots at goal against Airdrie, Hamilton and Stranraer. 

We were asking back in December how we'd win games of football when the late goals dried up, and six months and two transfer windows later, we're still no closer to knowing. 

With all that in mind, I can see where they're coming from with the decision, but fair play to Murray, for a massive chunk of last season the games were genuinely thrilling, and I honestly couldn't wait for them to come around. Wherever he ends up, I wish him well*

If the new manager comes in and has a positive impact on the squad, then it'll feel like a bit of a masterstroke, but if not, well, we'll see what happens. . 

*Unless he joins a club I'm not too keen on, and let me tell you, there's a good few of those, so I may rescind that sentiment at a later date. 

Edited by McGuigan1978

14 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

He's on mega bucks in Florida in the US. Can't see him even considering coming back to Scotland for Raith.

Plus, he only takes Championship jobs where the club is the biggest and richest in the league by some distance (Hearts and United).

20 hours ago, Raith1234 said:

Very unlikely but McCabe to raith would be comedy gold 

Apologies if this has been covered earlier as I'm only just catching up here but if you could launch this idea directly to f**k in a trebauchut of your choosing that would be lovely.

9 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Certainly didn't expect to wake up after nightshift to that news today.

A lot of theories and supposition out there and I doubt the club will be as transparent on the matter as some would like. 

Something hasn't been right since Christmas and rumours have been rife about unhappiness in the dressing room, changes were needed, however I didn't expect it to be this or this quickly though.

Replacement candidates:

Cameron, Potter, Imrie, Hughes, Holt, Locke, Stevenson, Hanlon, Fordyce, Dodds, McIntyre, McCall, Hartley, Hopkin, Grant,  Steven McLean, Duffy, Thomson,  Fergusson (any) or Young - NO!

Brian Graham? Surely not!

McKinnon. Naw! well maybe aye, but only if McKenzie's conservatory boys could build him a Serpentarium instead of a managers office.

Pink and his bunnet wearing bruv? Other than Margie & Jen who'd want that?

Courts, did well at United until he fell out with Tony Asgar, done nowt since but wouldn't rule him out.

Magilton, would be interesting.

Barry Robson, interesting

Jack, unlikely

Calderon, interesting but unlikely

McCabe, extremely unlikely.

Edited to add.

Having re-listened to the post match interview and also the ONNN podcast I wonder if the theories on manager's shelf life are on the mark, the rumour machine has speculated that Murray has been losing the dressing room bit by bit for over 6 months. Murray talked about his team being flat and the ONNN guys reckoned he was maybe worried he didn't know how to fix it, could he have become of the mindset I've lost the dressing room and don't know how to sort it?

Murray was always refreshingly honest in his interviews with us and looks to be the same with Raith. However his interview on Saturday was 'too honest' and just came across like he had no clue what to do, you have to at least maintain the illusion of competency so the board and fans have faith in you. In any other business if you told your boss that you'd no idea why your department was underperforming and had no idea how to fix it you'd be getting asked some serious questions, mainly 'what are we paying you for then?'.

In isolation it's not enough to get sacked but if the board had doubts already and then watched that I can totally see why they'd decide to get rid of him.

14 hours ago, Raithfan2711 said:

(Byrne seemingly offered more wages to go to Partick, for example).

Heard figures being banded about for that, Partick offered more but once fuel costs etc had been added in he would've been worse off. 

Had also heard we were in for Easton prior to his new contract being announced, he'll have gotten a decent pay rise in the summer. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Murray was always refreshingly honest in his interviews with us and looks to be the same with Raith. However his interview on Saturday was 'too honest' and just came across like he had no clue what to do, you have to at least maintain the illusion of competency so the board and fans have faith in you. In any other business if you told your boss that you'd no idea why your department was underperforming and had no idea how to fix it you'd be getting asked some serious questions, mainly 'what are we paying you for then?'.

In isolation it's not enough to get sacked but if the board had doubts already and then watched that I can totally see why they'd decide to get rid of him.

Interesting take especially from an Airdrie perspective. I saw it quite different in that such honestly has been a hallmark of interviews. I left heading for the bus needing to hear this kind of forthright message. In fact decided to call about extra season tickets feeling reassured. Now holding off till I see who comes in. 

Probably never know the full story but doesn't sit well with me especially with the clubs work on belonging. Who knows it might be a masterstroke though Rovers history is littered with such moments. Sacking a manager on Murrays form is a new one though so let's watch with interest.

No idea about internal stuff but such gossip can be relied on when things are tough. 

I think Murray’s post match interview with Raith TV was the final nail in the coffin for him , IMO this would be very alarming for the BOD considering they have backed him financially . His tactics at times were baffling especially Dundee United away when he got the midfield all wrong , Saturdays game aswell Mathews at right back when we have a right back on the bench , Throwing Vaughan right into the starting line up having not played any pre season or cup games , Continually losing goals at set pieces which is still a problem at the moment , Hardly any creativity and lack of threat up front compared to other teams . 

I'll admit I was pretty shocked at this happening.  Granted there isn't many ideal times to pap your manager.  After 1 league game is up there with the strangest though.

He is a likeable chap, the honesty of his interviews was refreshing.  I can't stand interviews with just all the usual catchphrases and buzzwords which just reek of far too much media training.

Admittedly we had played some turgid stuff of late so this could be a masterstroke.  I am hoping that is how it transpires and not a sharp dive into mediocrity leaving us with a bit of egg on our face.

Someone to come in and help us live up to being the bookies favourite please!

32 minutes ago, basher brash said:

I think Murray’s post match interview with Raith TV was the final nail in the coffin for him , IMO this would be very alarming for the BOD considering they have backed him financially . His tactics at times were baffling especially Dundee United away when he got the midfield all wrong , Saturdays game aswell Mathews at right back when we have a right back on the bench , Throwing Vaughan right into the starting line up having not played any pre season or cup games , Continually losing goals at set pieces which is still a problem at the moment , Hardly any creativity and lack of threat up front compared to other teams . 

I don’t think there was anything in the interview he hasn’t said in the past after defeats. Looking at articles from the other press that spoke to him, it didn’t look like he said anything different.

I would hope our Board had a decision like this made way before a standard interview went out where the manager seemed to just be telling supporters what he thought of the team, and I think they have enough credit in the bank to give them that the now.

I wonder if we will get an interview or something from Barrowman or someone on the Board by the end of the week.

I really liked Murray and am still a bit disappointed in the board's decision as I feel he had a lot more credit in the bank.  I haven't been as pessimistic as others on this thread about our end of season form, last season was my best as a Rovers fan and I struggle to see any available (realistic) manager who will have us as close to promotion this term.  

The club don't owe us any explanation about the fall out but it is hard to accept the explanation that the decision was made solely on results/performances due to the timing.  I understand what people say that it is better to sack him now than a few months down the line when promotion is less likely, however we are now far behind every other team in the league and have already written this season off for best case scenario mid-table.

I think the timing of it is interesting and that’s why I’m not buying the whole ifs down to results statement the club have put out. If it was a routine thanks for your efforts they’d have surely had a meeting on Monday and then announced it.  The fact it was on Sunday so soon after the first game makes me think Murray has said or done something after the game and the board have not been happy about it. I’m sure some rumours will soon surface as someone at the club will no doubt know what’s happened. See who comes in before I decide if it’s good or bad but I can’t complain about Murray’s time with us.  Last season was a cracking time following Rovers and although we fell short it’s better than we’ve done in a long time. I know everyone always pitches Yogi for vacant post but I did laugh when actual journalists had him listed, proof they get their stories from sites like here. 

Having thought about it a bit I'm still a bit sad about Murray leaving but I can see where the board is coming from.

On the plus side he did a good job the season he came in when the club was in a mess having to still deal with aftermath from the Goodwillie situation.

When it works, full on Murrayball is thrilling and I doubt we will ever go through a run of games like last November where in 3 consecutive games we were losing after 78 minutes and ended up winning the all of them.  The 1-0 win at Tannadice was the zenith of his time in charge but things were not the same after this.

Some of the performances and team selection in the 2nd half of the season were just odd. It was like other clubs had figured out how to play against us he couldn't adjust.

Even taking this into account I'd have been happy for him to continue being manager based on the first half of season. It seems a bit strange bringing in Stevenson and Hanlon, who hasn't even played yet, on decent wages and then sacking the manager. 

I've few complaints on how the club has been run since the new board came in, just about every decision has made the club better and I'm happy to give them a pass on this one with the expectation they have someone lined up who can have us challenging for promotion.