The New Raith Rovers Thread

I still think we can have a really good season if someone on the coaching side suggests trying to pass forward more and more quickly and explains what the white net things at each end of the pitch are for. This is a talented squad that has lost its way and isn't getting much direction.

54 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

What do Raith fans realistically expect of this season now? Any manager coming in is going to bring their own "philosophy", style of play etc and it's not guaranteed this will square with the squad you have. Clearly there has to be some changes because that squad failed last season and was failing before the sacking this season. Has there ever been a manager step in with someone else's squad and been an instant success?  Having a few talented players doesn't mean shit if they're played out of position or told to do something they don't like.  You could get an Imrie - defensively stuffy, kick the shit out of the opposition or you could get someone like McGlynn - attack minded, plays with wingers.

My tuppence worth, whoever you get has to stabilise the ship and bring in their changes gradually. You're 9 points behind the leaders already. The new guy has to stop the rot first, then get you playing.  To my mind you're play-off contenders, not potential winners. 

I think top 4 would be a great return based on what I've seen so far.

I didn't agree with the timing of the decision, but it's also worth remembering that Murray gave an interview where he mentioned needing to bring the right players in, bemoaning the injury situation (after getting Jack Hamilton to play on with a hamstring injury), mentioning that the players weren't fit - and also hinting that something was wrong generally - and that he didn't know what it was.  I'm pleasantly surprised to see us on 3 points to be honest.

From what I've seen so far, this squad isn't good enough to win the league.  Certainly strengthened in defence, but haven't created or scored enough chances for a good while now- with minimal transfer business to change that.  And our only out and out striker has been inconsistent at best, and currently injured.

I'm not sure how much of that fell to Murray, and sacking him in August hasn't exactly worked swimmingly so far, but theres more to it than " he finished 2nd so it's the wrong call"

It all comes down to the speed and quality of this appointment,  and the pressure behind that is rapidly increasing.

5 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

we are only 3 games in and 9 points behind. any that suggest this is no recoverable is quite frankly off there rocker

You really need to wind your neck in. Where have you been until lately? The clink?

Have you actually been to a game in the past 3 seasons?

We've seen ourselves a few dodgy results can all but ruin your season. I've no doubt the likes of Ayr and Falkirk will experience that this season at some point and it all depends who, if any, capitalises on it. After 3 games it's impossible to say the league is done or X team will do this that or the other. Don't get me wrong I'd have loved the start that Ayr and Falkirk have had but c'est la vie.

9 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

You really need to wind your neck in. Where have you been until lately? The clink?

Have you actually been to a game in the past 3 seasons?

if all you can do is criticise posters then f**k you turd. i havent miseed a match in over 14 years even though i live in bulgaria.. what i say is very reasonable not like your measly know all know nothing posts on here

12 hours ago, Irosshed and I was wrong said:

Yeah but was that a call to action to other teams? I’m still alive come and get me I’ve handed in a transfer request?

Josh Mullin looked knackered - clearly been up all night typing his request to leave.

I'll write if for him and pay for the transfer and transport. 

5 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

What improvement on the park? The season before the village idiots took over we were seventh. Guess what? We're still seventh.

Is that progress? 

The village idiots as you put it takeover wasn’t completed until the end of the season that we finished  7th , So since the new board took over the team has finished 2nd + season tickets double , All revenue streams have improved so is that not an improvement ? 

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

What do Raith fans realistically expect of this season now? Any manager coming in is going to bring their own "philosophy", style of play etc and it's not guaranteed this will square with the squad you have. Clearly there has to be some changes because that squad failed last season and was failing before the sacking this season. Has there ever been a manager step in with someone else's squad and been an instant success?  Having a few talented players doesn't mean shit if they're played out of position or told to do something they don't like.  You could get an Imrie - defensively stuffy, kick the shit out of the opposition or you could get someone like McGlynn - attack minded, plays with wingers.

My tuppence worth, whoever you get has to stabilise the ship and bring in their changes gradually. You're 9 points behind the leaders already. The new guy has to stop the rot first, then get you playing.  To my mind you're play-off contenders, not potential winners. 

9 points behind the leaders who have played a game more than most and we're only in week 4 of the season. Its the Scottish Championship, not the EPL where Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool etc are relentless all season. There are 99 points still to play for, no one is written off and no one is guaranteed to finish anywhere. The winner of the league will need to average probably 17 points per quarter, thats more than achievable for all teams. 

Whoever comes in needs to be a fit for the club, that probably means looking for someone who can adapt who we have to their philosophy, assuming its not a polar opposite. For example, bringing in a coach who wants a high press and quick football isn't going to do well here right now, nor is someone who wants long ball, direct football. That has to be identified in the appointment strategy and is a massive part of getting it right.

20 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

if all you can do is criticise posters then f**k you turd. i havent miseed a match in over 14 years even though i live in bulgaria.. what i say is very reasonable not like your measly know all know nothing posts on here

Varna Rover what do you think of my suggestion of choosing Chatgpt as the next manager? It has a globally recognised name unlike most of the other suggestions so far, can't turn down the role so would avoid further embarrassments like Healy and would be very cost effective.

1 minute ago, g martin said:

Varna Rover what do you think of my suggestion of choosing Chatgpt as the next manager? It has a globally recognised name unlike most of the other suggestions so far, can't turn down the role so would avoid further embarrassments like Healy and would be very cost effective.

cant comment cause i have no idea who your talking about

Some of our fans are mental wanting to "boo" the board on Saturday. 

Christ, this board has done far more to improve the club than any other in my lifetime as a fan. Are there fans out there who genuinely want rid of them? The club was on its arse not too long ago. 

Is the current situation frustrating? Yes, however, it's the first mistake they've made as a board with the club. Barrowman and the rest should have more than enough credit in the bank with fans to resolve the matter. 

I'm at the point where I'd be happy with a top 4 spot this season which is achievable with this team. I understand that this season is probably the best chance any team will have to get promoted, however, have we forgotten that it almost went to the wire with us and Utd last year? What's to stop that happening again next season if we're still in the championship? Promotion will still be achievable. 

I'll be there on Saturday, and I assure you there won't be any boos coming from me at the board or the players. 

Edited by Rovers2017

ffs. This has been a bit of a laugh but it's just getting a little sad and uncomfortable now watching folk lose their absolute shit.

Ultimately, it's just a game of football, you're only 3 games in to a season and your squad will still almost certainly make promotion playoffs at least. Even allowing for this to drag on another month or so, if you don't make promotion playoffs that would be a bigger disgrace than the time it is taking to appoint a manager, which isn't actually that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

What is remarkable though is the number of people who can't bring themselves to admit that sacking Murray was ultimately the wrong move. You might think the performances were crap, you might think preseason was underwhelming, you might think Rovers deserve to be sitting top right now, etc. But everything about the sacking was a mistake and almost all of the nonsense of the last month stems from that decision.

But it's OK to admit that a mistake might have been made. It might even help folk cope if they acknowledged it. But it's clear your board messed up. It doesn't mean they should be sacked. It doesn't mean your club is in trouble. It doesn't mean players private lives should be talked about on social media. It was just a mistake. It happens. Coping is a lot easier if people just accept it wasn't the right decision and reset their expectations from there.

9 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

9 points behind the leaders who have played a game more than most and we're only in week 4 of the season. Its the Scottish Championship, not the EPL where Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool etc are relentless all season. There are 99 points still to play for, no one is written off and no one is guaranteed to finish anywhere. The winner of the league will need to average probably 17 points per quarter, thats more than achievable for all teams. 

Whoever comes in needs to be a fit for the club, that probably means looking for someone who can adapt who we have to their philosophy, assuming its not a polar opposite. For example, bringing in a coach who wants a high press and quick football isn't going to do well here right now, nor is someone who wants long ball, direct football. That has to be identified in the appointment strategy and is a massive part of getting it right.

So now the new guy not only has to be in your price range, available and willing, they have to fit in with your specific style of football? 

How short is that shortlist again?