Top Gear

The thing is, I don't actually mind Evans, but it's like someone told him to do the role like Clarkson (minus the punching and racism). Who knows, he might grow into it, also Daily Mail readers must hate him, so that's a plus in my book.

When you go into a new job you tend to do it the way the last person did until you find your feet and start bringing your own ideas in. 

It needs time to establish the new presenters, just like Clarkson had when he re-booted the show. It's as simple as that. 

Worth remembering how poor last couple of series of old top gear were...rehashing same old stuff over n over again with 'humour' that was well past its sell by date. Never gonna be sold on chris evans but theyd be mad to try to go back to old presenters. Theyre done

Worth remembering how poor last couple of series of old top gear were...rehashing same old stuff over n over again with 'humour' that was well past its sell by date. Never gonna be sold on chris evans but theyd be mad to try to go back to old presenters. Theyre done

Amazon certainly dont think they are, apparently the new show has a 40 million a season budget

Totally agree with this however like the Tellytubbies old top gear has a core audience shouting "again, again" which allows them to thrash the dead horse to the bone for evermore.

Most of the hate of new top gear is prejudged and quite sad.

Totally agree with this however like the Tellytubbies old top gear has a core audience shouting "again, again" which allows them to thrash the dead horse to the bone for evermore.

Most of the hate of new top gear is prejudged and quite sad.

Totally agree.

Still amazes me to this day that Clarkson has such a loyal fan base. He's such a one trick pony.

I think this is it. Before Clarkson lamped someone Top Gear - in that format - was getting to the point where it needed a change and updated. It had ran it's course, there's only so many variations of the same challenges you can do. The 'chemistry' between the presenters kept it going, but the show was poor. Take out that chemistry and you're left with a re-hash of a pretty outdated format.

I think they'll manage to evolve it into a watchable Sunday night show, which is fine, however I can't see it ever been the huge show international hit like the old version. So in comparison it will be seen as a failure, but really it's a car show probably just going to find it's natural level.

People are quick to slate Chris Evans but how many people are going to knock back Top Gear especially when he's a self confessed petrol head.

Clarkson f***ed it himself by punching the catering guy. His doing. Nobody else's. If we punched someone in our work then we'd get the book thrown at us all day every day. No sympathy for the guy.

Evans has been getting slated for the last six

months by various media outlets. The media reaction last night was always going to happen whether the show was fantastic or rubbish.

I personally thought it was ok last night and liked the features that they had. I'll defo watch the full series before making a proper judgement.

I think this is it. Before Clarkson lamped someone Top Gear - in that format - was getting to the point where it needed a change and updated. It had ran it's course, there's only so many variations of the same challenges you can do. The 'chemistry' between the presenters kept it going, but the show was poor. Take out that chemistry and you're left with a re-hash of a pretty outdated format.

I think they'll manage to evolve it into a watchable Sunday night show, which is fine, however I can't see it ever been the huge show international hit like the old version. So in comparison it will be seen as a failure, but really it's a car show probably just going to find it's natural level.

Very eloquently said exactly what i thought

Evans has been getting slated for the last six

months by various media outlets. The media reaction last night was always going to happen whether the show was fantastic or rubbish.

Let's be honest about this.  Top Gear is one of the BBC's most successful shows and it been targeted by rival media for that reason. 

I liked joey he would be quite good if he was left to get on with reviews and bits and pieces I think he's quite sharp and is likeable.

The blurb was a new show taking a new direction, Sunday was more of the same with an excitable stand in by the way of Evans.

I'm actually a bit disappointed that they haven't used it as a chance to change the format a bit and freshen it up totally.

As said, the old Top Gear was pretty stale and TBH I stopped watching the last few series because it seemed mostly just to be Clarkson & Co having free holidays on the BBC in the guise of a car challenge.

I think they have missed a trick in letting the presenters put their own stamp on things and thinking about how it could be made better again.