Unpopular opinions.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

It’s just another thing getting phased out. I think millennials like us who sat through the y2k hype when we were young have seen the slow decline of interest in it throughout our adult years and seen what a pointless thing it is to “celebrate”.

It comes at an awful time of year for a wild party as well, we have mostly been off work and in the house for the past 10 days sitting about drinking and eating shit the last thing any of us need is another blow out.

I have had numerous shit new years, only one fun time I can remember was when we were in New Zealand 2012/13.

I think there’s been a shift from people having celebrations in their house or in their local pub to having big parties that are now highly organised. Edinburgh is the classic example - people used to gather at the Tron to celebrate it but it was locals. It became more of an event and by the 1990s was held in Princes Street and is fully ticketed. A friend of mine who is a local councillor posted figures this week that less than 25% of the attendees at the street party are from Edinburgh, which now takes over a big part of Edinburgh public spaces for a December and January. Maybe it’s a net benefit, I don’t know, but it’s certainly changed the character of New Year. You literally can’t go ‘up town’ for New Year now.

53 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

I live in the Highlands & Hogmanay was always a good community get together. Unfortunately, imho our communities are not like what they were & because of that they don't celebrate together, not like they used to. 

Me and Chris are both highlanders as well. I am 37 now so grew up in the 90’s and always remember new year being a big deal and first footers being round the house until about the 3rd -4th. Then there was the obvious millennium countdown with all sorts of wild parties planned and people coming to Scotland from all corners of the earth to witness it all and it turned out to be the biggest anti climax in the entire human chapter.  

Back on point I don’t think it’s to do with communities not being like they used to be, just a case of times changing and there being more alternatives nowadays. 

New Year has always been shite, you just don't notice when you're younger. Who fancies the idea of virtual strangers turning up, pishing and vomiting in your house.

I certainly don't get reminiscent for the departed or become more tolerant of cūnts I've always had no time for.

Birthday caird pish, I believe the term is now.

Had a few friends in last night.  Watched the Michelle McManus programme (quite good fun) then the BBC Alba Hogmanay prog. It's usually a belter and last night was no exception... probably helped because we knew a couple of the folk taking part. It went on till 01.30 as well. Eventually packed up around 3.30. Up by 10.00 today which I don't think is too bad... Quiet day ahead.

To summarise... don't "set out" to have a good time... Just be with folks you like, add some music, food and drink and things will turn out fine.

New year has been declining for years.  I went to some great parties until maybe 2013. Havent been to any since and have noticed that less and less people give a toss  these days too. Cant remember the last time we had the traditional steak pie dinner at my parents either ( which I love)

I always remember people insisting on house parties because “town (falkirk) would be so heaving” it would be impractical. I remember going out in falkirk, I think for hogmanny 15/16 and I was struck by how quiet most of the pubs were. Halloween has probably overtaken hogmanny by miles now.  Christmas wins by an absolute mile.  Save for some fireworks at the bells, no one gives a shit anymore 

27 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

New Year has always been shite, you just don't notice when you're younger. Who fancies the idea of virtual strangers turning up, pishing and vomiting in your house.

I certainly don't get reminiscent for the departed or become more tolerant of cūnts I've always had no time for.

Birthday caird pish, I believe the term is now.

It pays to be the aggressor in this situation. If you’re the pished up unwelcome visitor vomiting in the neighbours’ sinks then your own house is safe. 

7 hours ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

I live in the Highlands & Hogmanay was always a good community get together. Unfortunately, imho our communities are not like what they were & because of that they don't celebrate together, not like they used to. 

Community has been swapped out for 'family', which leads to an atomised society and 'justifies' self interest. 

7 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Went to my local for the bells last night and the place was absolutely dead.  The fact that they somehow booked a fictitious band that never even existed for their 'party' probably didn't help matters.

My local was busy but only after the owners' attempt to sell tickets at a tenner a head was kicked out by overwhelming rejection by the regulars. 

They had a DJ playing music which was actually a decent idea at about 10/11, but he made an absolute roaring c**t of the bells. 

Some excellent whisky being taken from the top shelf and sold to regulars at gutrot prices - I don't remember leaving. 

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Totally this.

The world calendar should now be rearranged to align with my purposes and wishes.

A less radical but completely positive change would be to set Christmas to a specific day - like Thanksgiving in the USA. Assign either a Tuesday or a Wednesday near the end of December as Christmas Day, meaning the weekend doesn't run straight into it - or even worse, Christmas being on the weekend and ruining the fixture list too. 

And bring back compulsory Boxing Day football instead of pish about 'player wellbeing' while we're at it. 

14 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Hogmanay / New Year is overrated shite.

It's been about ten years since we did anything of note for it.

To be honest, by the time it comes round, we've done the Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, other visits with my family, the missus' family, mates etc, and we're just kind of done with the whole thing.

We watch a film, get a bottle of wine in, and the missus is almost always asleep by about 11.15.

I'd need to be dragged out for New Year. I'm not even 40 yet, so don't have old age as an excuse. Just not really interested. Always enjoy New Years Day itself. We'll get out for a walk somewhere and it's a nice day with f**k all else to do. But New Years Eve is just not for me.

Edited by VincentGuerin

8 hours ago, throbber said:

Me and Chris are both highlanders as well. I am 37 now so grew up in the 90’s and always remember new year being a big deal and first footers being round the house until about the 3rd -4th. Then there was the obvious millennium countdown with all sorts of wild parties planned and people coming to Scotland from all corners of the earth to witness it all and it turned out to be the biggest anti climax in the entire human chapter.  

Back on point I don’t think it’s to do with communities not being like they used to be, just a case of times changing and there being more alternatives nowadays. 

~15 years ago, I (and everybody else) got punted out of a Highland pub just before midnight because the barmaid wanted to get home across the road for the bells.  Very much a 'not sure if serious' moment.  The weather was sh*te outside and a local friend and I ended up sheltering in a phone box for NY.

After an acceptable amount of time had passed, we then went first-footing to the nearest couple we knew, who answered "oh, we weren't expecting anybody, but come in anyway".  Went in to see multiple boxes of beer and a spread that Mrs Doyle would have been proud of.

Not quite how we expected to see in the new year 😄:

image.png.2a4faeef353a7927b98863717b9c3d06.png

Edited by Hedgecutter

19 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

~15 years ago, I (and everybody else) got punted out of a Highland pub just before midnight because the barmaid wanted to get home across the road for the bells.  Very much a 'not sure if serious' moment.

It was pishing it down and a local friend and I ended up sheltering in a phone box with our bottle of whisky (intended for after hours) where we unexpectedly / classily 'saw in the bells' instead.

After an acceptable amount of time had passed, we then went first-footing to the nearest couple we knew, who answered "oh, we weren't expecting anybody, but come in anyway".  Went in to see multiple boxes of beer and a spread that Mrs Doyle would have been proud of.

Reveal hidden contents

Not quite how we expected to see in the new year:

image.png.2a4faeef353a7927b98863717b9c3d06.png

About 2001 I went to a pal's house at about 11.55 to see in the bells. Her dad enthusiastically said "you can first foot us" and left me on the doorstep until just after midnight, then let me in.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

And bring back compulsory Boxing Day football instead of pish about 'player wellbeing' while we're at it. 

It's a separate argument and I doubt if there's anything particularly unpopular about my opinion here, but it really bugs me that football in the lower divisions in Scotland just seems to bump along with a normal programme of Saturdays over the festive period.  

We absolutely should have Boxing Day and New Year's Day games, with the latter ideally being derbies.  It really pisses me off that valuable things like this are just allowed to disappear.

Having said all that above, both my nieces who are young people went out to public and private parties and had a great night so it’s probably just the case that all of us bemoaning it are old. Hooray.

I enjoy New Year. Went up to friends in Aberfeldy for Hogmanay, just spent it in the house then enjoyed the fireworks display over the town at the bells. They have a street party in the square at Aberfeldy, but my youngest is just a bit too young for that yet, it looked decent though. The kids enjoyed staying up late and had a great time. Today I then had family over for the traditional steak pie dinner, which was great. 

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I think there’s been a shift from people having celebrations in their house or in their local pub to having big parties that are now highly organised. Edinburgh is the classic example - people used to gather at the Tron to celebrate it but it was locals. It became more of an event and by the 1990s was held in Princes Street and is fully ticketed. A friend of mine who is a local councillor posted figures this week that less than 25% of the attendees at the street party are from Edinburgh, which now takes over a big part of Edinburgh public spaces for a December and January. Maybe it’s a net benefit, I don’t know, but it’s certainly changed the character of New Year. You literally can’t go ‘up town’ for New Year now.

Just imagine what would happen if Edinburgh didn't get this revenue- our streets would be full of potholes, there'd be a housing crisis, the main sports stadium would be an embarrassment and the only buildings going up would be hotels and student accommodation...