The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, John MacLean said:

Find your comments about your stadium quite interesting. 

It's no Brockville obviously but as an away fan I quite like it. Clinching a league title there probably helps but I've always found it decent atmosphere wise. I'm used to an empty side of a ground too so the lack of a stand alongside the far touchline doesn't bother me. 

It's not perfect but it is a million times better than Clyde, Hamilton and especially Airdrie. I reckon even the very best grounds would feel a bit soulless and bleak when you are kicking about below your natural level. 

Agree with most of this, playing at this level with next to zero away fans really doesn’t help. Also comparing the stadium atmosphere wise to brockville it’s always going to come up poor by comparison but as you’ve pointed out a lot off modern out of town stadiums tend to be like that, it’s not just TFS. When the stadium has had bigger crowds we have had a handful of really good atmospheres in there, the Hibs play off win, the Kilmarnock play off 1st leg win, the most recent 3-2 win against Rangers ect spring to mind. A structure or safe standing terrace on the east side would certainly help massively but I think the biggest factor in getting some atmosphere into the place is going to be football related. Playing at a higher level with more riding on each game against bigger teams with large away supports is the solution, we just need to get it right on the park and the fans will respond!  

Edited by LatapyBairn.

51 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

So it's gross negligence in it's finest but you don't know much about the deal?? :rolleyes:

Referring to the sale of Brockville and the cash it cost to build one stand, when we were promised a stadium, and a very wealthy fan who is still getting paid for another stand………

13 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Agree with most of this, playing at this level with next to zero away fans really doesn’t help. Also comparing the stadium atmosphere wise to brockville it’s always going to come up poor by comparison but as you’ve pointed out a lot off modern out of town stadiums tend to be like that, it’s not just TFS. When the stadium has had bigger crowds we have had a handful of really good atmospheres in there, the Hibs play off win, the Kilmarnock play off 1st leg win, the most recent 3-2 win against Rangers ect spring to mind. A structure or safe standing terrace on the east side would certainly help massively but I think the biggest factor in getting some atmosphere into the place is going to be football related. Playing at a higher level with more riding on each game against bigger teams with large away supports is the solution, we just need to get it right on the park and the fans will respond!  

160289900_51vp0OxdoL._AC_SX679_.jpg.60d9610213001db40f39221b055d7149.jpg

Falkirk fans in the stands News Photo - Getty Images

Guest TedCrilly

My biggest gripe with the current stadium is being so far away from the away fans. Absolutely no banter can be had between the two sets of fans. I felt the atmosphere was better in the days of the two sides on a week to week basis. Gow’s last minute winner in front of the Fifers was sensational. f**k knows how to rectify that though and there’s obviously more important issues at the club to sort first.

2 hours ago, GeordieBairn said:

Anyone know the score of the bounce game? Think we played Dundee United

We won 2-0. Jaz scored one of them. Heard Mills played midfield too

Edited by Back Post Misses

I'm clearly in the minority but I was happy with the stadium when it was built (leaving aside ownership etc which isn't in our favour).  I liked the fact the main stand was imposing and I think its a ground that matched our ambition at the time.  

As others have said, the soulless feel mostly comes from us being in league 1.  If we were a premier league side with higher turn outs and away fans filling their end too it'd be a decent enough stadium (albeit missing a side).  

8 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I'm clearly in the minority but I was happy with the stadium when it was built (leaving aside ownership etc which isn't in our favour).  I liked the fact the main stand was imposing and I think its a ground that matched our ambition at the time.  

As others have said, the soulless feel mostly comes from us being in league 1.  If we were a premier league side with higher turn outs and away fans filling their end too it'd be a decent enough stadium (albeit missing a side).  

Agree with this not a problem with atmosphere when we played hibs in the play offs it’s what’s served up on the pitch that determines the atmosphere.

1 hour ago, TedCrilly said:

Gow’s last minute winner in front of the Fifers was sensational.

Was in the front of the main stand (north) for that. Definitely my favourite celebration at TFS and well worth 90 minutes of sitting exposed to the wind & rain. Apparently they hit the bar while we were celebrating? No idea.

#limbs

#polisdugs 

2 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Whassup Shagger? You seem to be sniping a lot more than usual on here, no' getting yer hole or summat?

:lol: Nah, not getting my hole doesn't bother me as much as it used to for some reason.

Just canny work out how the guy thinks it's gross negligence then says he doesn't know anything about it.

16 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I have to be honest and say I’ve never liked TFS and don’t think I ever will, It has never felt like our home. The main stand was a huge mistake when you look at the size and cost of it. I would have absolutely no issues if the opportunity ever came about for us to relocate away from there.

The council would never grant planning permission for a stadium they would lose the cash cow at the TFS. As I said the only time we should go near the place is on matchdays. Move the offices out for a start there's plenty of office space going cheap to rent or lease and plenty of training facilities about would grab FFC business.

Council can sit with their ego trip losing a fortune - so sod them.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Referring to the sale of Brockville and the cash it cost to build one stand, when we were promised a stadium, and a very wealthy fan who is still getting paid for another stand………

Well, we had to sell to clear the debt. I don't know the ins and outs of the thing either so I can't claim that it was gross negligence. It may be the case that we could have got a better deal, I don't know.

The South Stand deal is an entirely different issue I would have thought?

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Very fair comment.

As for Brockville it was in a great town centre location and the view of the game was good due to how close to the pitch you were but a lot of rose tinted nonsense talked about the old place to be honest.

It was literally falling to bits, being on the Hope St or Watson St terraces when the weather was bad was a grim experience and whilst the atmosphere could be fantastic it could also be very subdued if the match wasn’t up to much.

Aye, the atmosphere wasn't great when we were getting beat and it was pishing with rain!

12 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

:lol: Nah, not getting my hole doesn't bother me as much as it used to for some reason.

Aye, the icing is off that particular gingerbread. Still, the big compensation is that it’s now the brain in your head that’s making the big decisions in your life. 😐

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The council would never grant planning permission for a stadium they would lose the cash cow at the TFS. As I said the only time we should go near the place is on matchdays. Move the offices out for a start there's plenty of office space going cheap to rent or lease and plenty of training facilities about would grab FFC business.

Council can sit with their ego trip losing a fortune - so sod them.

I would imagine the Council would use the office space to relocate from the decrepit Council HQ.

12 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I would imagine the Council would use the office space to relocate from the decrepit Council HQ.

Read in FH, I think, that Hannigan has bought the M&S building in the High Street and is trying to get the Council to move there. Apparently, offering them a great deal?

7 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Read in FH, I think, that Hannigan has bought the M&S building in the High Street and is trying to get the Council to move there. Apparently, offering them a great deal?

Town centre was the preferred option along with a new Town Hall / arts space but was voted down by Labour / Tory councillors.

All up in the air at the moment.

32 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

FFC dont need much office space. All we need is a High Street location with a club shop and offices above.

The council relocate to TFS and they are welcome to it.

Hire the pitch and the stands required per crowd expected for 25 odd matchdays then have nothing more to do with the place.

Massive cost saving for the club