The Falkirk FC Thread

Great first half performance and really should have been 3 or 4 in front. Started the second half okay but Montrose gradually came more into the game and we ended up hanging on in the last 10 minutes.

Thought Kennedy, Burrell and Kucheriavyi did well. Nesbitt nowhere to be seen and just wasn’t Allan’s night.

Overall great to put an end to the winless run and hopefully we can continue the winning momentum ahead of Hampden and the play offs. We really need to work on seeing out leads as better teams would have punished us today.

Far too many missed excellent chances. Burrell 2, Allan 3, Donaldson, Morrison, and Henderson all guilty. 
Montrose score with their only shot on target all night from Yates sleeping. 
Everyone got a run which is positive. Beat Airdrie and Edinburgh at home and 2nd is secure. 

Few decisions for Saturday now.

Oliver back in for Allan. Burrell to play but he’s missed a fair few chances tonight. Mcginn back in, Henderson out? If we bring Morrison in it has to be Nesbitt dropped given Kennedy has just scored a double…decisions decisions 

Decided last minute to attend game, an away overnight stop, just about thawed out.

Decent first 45 and should have been out of sight. Shape really good although Allan looks miles short of fitness, some real decent play.

Second 45 Montrose came out their shell and although huffed and puffed got a goal thanks to Yeats. The usual heart attack last 10. Question. Why on earth did we change our shape from a comfortable diamond? 

11 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Oliver back in for Allan. Burrell to play but he’s missed a fair few chances tonight. Mcginn back in, Henderson out? If we bring Morrison in it has to be Nesbitt dropped given Kennedy has just scored a double…decisions decisions 

I think Oliver has been a suprise to most of us,his work rate,goals and attitude has been brilliant since he joined us.

Edited by Andy Dufresne
Fat Fingers

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Decided last minute to attend game, an away overnight stop, just about thawed out.

Decent first 45 and should have been out of sight. Shape really good although Allan looks miles short of fitness, some real decent play.

Second 45 Montrose came out their shell and although huffed and puffed got a goal thanks to Yeats. The usual heart attack last 10. Question. Why on earth did we change our shape from a comfortable diamond? 

To shore up the game, why else. I thought we were better when we switched. (Not as good as the first half hour mind you). We missed three chances 

Edited by Back Post Misses

21 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Big Brad got his 6th yellow card on the 1st of April so I think he might be suspended for Saturday? Feckin useless SFA not updated disciplinary pdf since 16th March.

Hendo also got his 6th of the season now (on Saturday there) so I think he will miss the game on the 22nd, whoever that is against.

11 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

To shore up the game, why else. I thought we were better when we switched. (Not as good as the first half hour mind you). We missed three chances 

Can understand the “shore” but ffs we should have been piling it on. Play the same tactic on Saturday and won’t get the same outcome 

Edited by Springfield

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

Far too many missed excellent chances. Burrell 2, Allan 3, Donaldson, Morrison, and Henderson all guilty. 
Montrose score with their only shot on target all night from Yates sleeping. 
Everyone got a run which is positive. Beat Airdrie and Edinburgh at home and 2nd is secure. 

This. That should have been 4 or 5 minimum and yet we’re holding on a bit at the end. Again, the opposition get their first chance and it’s a goal. 

On 06/04/2023 at 20:29, RandomGuy. said:

Its looking likely that they'll get a chunk of money when Dykes leaves QPR this Summer, plus Nouble (and maybe Bruce Anderson) are likely cash sales too.

They seem to be setting up their next cash sale with Bradley just now too.

Player trading is so, so, important for Scottish clubs. I'm not meaning this in a trolling way at all despite how it sounds, I've just genuinely no idea where you're at with it, but hows your youth system getting on just now? Sure I'd seen it was getting restarted.

I'm late to this but yeah pretty much. Nouble is going in the summer and we're apparently looking for at least 1m. 

The loss itself isn't something unexpected either the 850k is COVID loss, we bring most of our cash in from away attendances, the 400k is the same. It's the exact thing the government loan was given out to cover. We usually run on no operating losses each year so we'll likely be sitting with 1m in the bank after the last of the COVID loss showing next season.

It's not much of a loss when you look at Aberdeen's ~5m loss last year and likely 2-3m this year. St Mirren ~1.2m loss as well I think. COVID loan itself is being paid back 80k per year in September for the next 40 or so years

5 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Big Brad got his 6th yellow card on the 1st of April so I think he might be suspended for Saturday? Feckin useless SFA not updated disciplinary pdf since 16th March.

Hendo also got his 6th of the season now (on Saturday there) so I think he will miss the game on the 22nd, whoever that is against.

FYI, 6 yellows and a one game suspension only applies for the first 18 matches, then it changes to 12 yellows and two games.

See P. 137: https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/9962/sfa_jpp-2022-23_digital-jan23-update.pdf

First half was great last night, didn't give Montrose a half chance. Second half was a different story, I think partly to do with the conditions and the very string wind towards our goal, could actually see th ball changing direction from Brian's goal kicks as opposed to the 5'2 Montrose gks kicks which were near enough reaching our box. 

Despite Kennedy's 2 goals, Max was the MOTM for me, the boy oozes class, always gets out of tight situations with a smart bit of dribbling or a neat pass.

Thought Allan had a very poor game whereas Burrell certainly didn't do his chances of continuing to start any harm.

3 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

First half was great last night, didn't give Montrose a half chance. Second half was a different story, I think partly to do with the conditions and the very string wind towards our goal, could actually see th ball changing direction from Brian's goal kicks as opposed to the 5'2 Montrose gks kicks which were near enough reaching our box. 

Despite Kennedy's 2 goals, Max was the MOTM for me, the boy oozes class, always gets out of tight situations with a smart bit of dribbling or a neat pass.

Thought Allan had a very poor game whereas Burrell certainly didn't do his chances of continuing to start any harm.

I thought Allan looked sharp in the first half, caused a nuisance and won some smart flick ons etc. Allowances need to be made for the laddie given the lack of game time. I think the correct strategy is either him or Burrell with Oliver probably. My inclination would be to go for Burrell. 

Max was great in the first half too. The common theme is that various issues arose second half when the wind turned a bit and began launching sheets of water right into our faces. Thats not a set of circumstances we're likely to see again. I don't mind cutting some slack after that first halfg

Allan's movement was decent last night, created the space for Burrell's chance at the end of the first half by taking the defender out wide. He also done well to pull off his man for his chance in the first half. 

He just looks low on confidence but really when you've not played since the start of February that's going to be the case.

a win this Saturday will clinch a play off place due to goal difference over Alloa, even 4 loses and our GD (+26) is probably going to save us against QOS.

with that in mind I's like to see us try and smash teams with an ultra attacking style of play in the next couple of games.

If it doesn't work we can revert to 6 at the back and a lone striker playing in midfield for the ICT game

11 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Neither is suspended. Once you get past match 18 without getting 6 bookings, you need to get 12 for a suspension. The disciplinary pdf is till being issued to clubs although they've not published it publicly.3

EDIT - Sorry, answered before clicking next page to see @TxRover already said the same.

Edited by Skyline Drifter