The Falkirk FC Thread

@RC55 FFCcan't agree with us being happy with a point on Saturday, with the run they've been on and it looking very likely we'll be playing them in the playoffs psychologically it would be nice to give them another drubbing especially with the remaining games they have after us.

On tomorrow I just hope McGlynn doesn't revert straight back to the one upfront.

18 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Dobbie was an amazing signing for QoS however it’s worth mentioning that Arfield played longer, more regularly and at a higher level than Dobbie both at club and international level so could prove to be an even better signing.

Yes, Dobbie had his 3 or 4 years faffing about in the lower leagues before he knuckled down, Arfield didn't. I'm not completely convinced that playing for Rangers is a higher level than the top of the English Championship, I think their level was pretty similar to be honest and the international thing is only because Arfield happened to have a Canadian parent. If he only qualified for Scotland he'd have exactly the same number of international caps Dobbie has.

Dobbie was a year younger when he returned to us than Arfield is now. He also played a position where lack of "legs" is likely to be less of a factor. To be fair, his best season for us was when he turned 36 during the season but he had the massively under-rated (at the time anyway) Dykes doing his running for him and he absolutely fell off a cliff the next year when Dykes had departed.

18 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Yous imagine we'd need an external sponsor in the same way they had, but yeah, it would be the marquee signing to end them all

We didn't have any external sponsor for Dobbie. Somebody just made that up at one point and everyone ran with it.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Arfield didn't. I'm not completely convinced that playing for Rangers is a higher level than the top of the English Championship,

I'm pretty sure that Arfield played for Burnley in the Premier League for 3 seasons.

5 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I'm pretty sure that Arfield played for Burnley in the Premier League for 3 seasons.

Fair play. I knew he had time in the Premier with Burnley but then Dobbie had time in the Premier with both Swansea and Crystal Palace. I didn't realise it was as much as three seasons or that he started as regularly as he did in them having now checked.

Arfield did indeed play longer at the very top level than Dobbie did.

Dobbie was a year younger when he returned to us than Arfield is now. He also played a position where lack of "legs" is likely to be less of a factor. 

It's not just that Dobbie's position was less demanding in terms of legs.

His game was too.  He'd never been about pace and power.  He was all about intelligence, touch and finishing.  These qualities endured when physical aspects were receding.

By the way -  I appreciate we should have had a clear cut penalty on Saturday and we’ve been on the end of some fucking atrocious decisions this year - but some of the outrage it’s generated online does seems to be deflecting from the fact that if we had just like… defended properly and not chucked a 2 goal lead when we were cruising, it wouldn’t have been game-defining.

5 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

By the way -  I appreciate we should have had a clear cut penalty on Saturday and we’ve been on the end of some fucking atrocious decisions this year - but some of the outrage it’s generated online does seems to be deflecting from the fact that if we had just like… defended properly and not chucked a 2 goal lead when we were cruising, it wouldn’t have been game-defining.

Exactly. Losers mentality ala "players try harder when they play against us". Needs stamped out. 

Guest Caractacus Potts

Fair play. I knew he had time in the Premier with Burnley but then Dobbie had time in the Premier with both Swansea and Crystal Palace. I didn't realise it was as much as three seasons or that he started as regularly as he did in them having now checked.

On 07/04/2023 at 01:27, Skyline Drifter said:

If you are completely ignorant of the fundamentals though your wider point loses credibility. 

Will just leave this here. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This is exactly what my point was that you completely disagreed with ??

15 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

This is exactly what my point was that you completely disagreed with ??

Uh huh. Did you miss the posts in between where it was pointed out to me Arfield played longer in the Premiership than my memory had thought and me conceding you were therefore correct? He played 3 full seasons in the Premiership compared to Dobbie's two part seasons (he was loaned back to the Championship part way through both). I mistakenly thought he hadn't played that much more often in the Premier and both spent most of their careers at the top end of the Championship and, in Arfield's case, with Rangers.

45 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Uh huh. Did you miss the posts in between where it was pointed out to me Arfield played longer in the Premiership than my memory had thought and me conceding you were therefore correct? He played 3 full seasons in the Premiership compared to Dobbie's two part seasons (he was loaned back to the Championship part way through both). I mistakenly thought he hadn't played that much more often in the Premier and both spent most of their careers at the top end of the Championship and, in Arfield's case, with Rangers.

Arfields physicality would've been more suited to the epl I'd have thought. He is strong and can run all day. Dobbie loads of skill but then in the epl you are competing with top drawer players when that's your best department. 

49 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yea, just read your reply to me. Seen it now. 👍 

Guest Caractacus Potts
8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You leave it where you like. I checked and corrected my error. You may want to think on that..............

Or not.

As if I stood by the error I had made! If you’re going to try take a superior approach regarding correct information then don’t expect it not to come back when you make the same mistake! Besides, Googling Arfields career is a lot easier than which Scottish teams are full time! 

Edited by Caractacus Potts