The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, grahamstonbairn said:

….and without the monthly prizes.

And without the ability to stand for the committee or as an FSS fans rep on the board. You also won’t get the regular newsletter or other initiatives such as the free beer the CI put up for FSS members in November.

I understand not everyone is behind fan ownership but if anyone was desperate to give the club cash then there’s a load of ways you could have done it including simply donating it to them and anyone at the club would delighted to take it from you.

As for fan ownership too then the FSS WILL buy the shares eventually and have a significant shareholding so I just don’t get why you would rather give your money somewhere else for less benefits and have no real influence in how the club is run. 

I just really don’t get this scheme and it makes it harder for the FSS to gain more members.

On a slightly different topic, we’ve got a Alloa side who no doubt will fancy picking up three points.

Were a week away from a major semi final with a first eleven who look like they met for the first time.

Haven’t a clue who McGlynn will start with and very short of confidence for what should be the Clubs biggest week for 3/4 seasons. 
https://youtu.be/pEejJjvw7yg

Edited by Springfield

39 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

And without the ability to stand for the committee or as an FSS fans rep on the board. You also won’t get the regular newsletter or other initiatives such as the free beer the CI put up for FSS members in November.

I understand not everyone is behind fan ownership but if anyone was desperate to give the club cash then there’s a load of ways you could have done it including simply donating it to them and anyone at the club would delighted to take it from you.

As for fan ownership too then the FSS WILL buy the shares eventually and have a significant shareholding so I just don’t get why you would rather give your money somewhere else for less benefits and have no real influence in how the club is run. 

I just really don’t get this scheme and it makes it harder for the FSS to gain more members.

FSS, IMO, should really get aggressive in selling their benefits over FF. If they do that and do it well and some still join FF then they were never joining FSS. In that case FSS should have little quibble as the club is still getting a monthly donation, which ultimately is the most important thing, that it was not getting before.

There seems a little bit of lack of confidence and worry on the FSS side. IMO there is no need to be. They have done a good job so far, very few if any are going to move from FSS to this. If they do so be it, the club is still getting the donation. However have the attitude If we  lose one we are going to gain two. 

On 19/04/2023 at 15:00, Reggie Perrin said:

I’ll bite!

Donaldson is our best centre back but is clearly chronically off form at the moment.

Donaldson is shite, he's slow, has zero vision for a pass and is found out of position when it matter most. He has every quality of a bad junior footballer. Burrell is a better centre half than  him and that is a serious statement

Edited by ChrispPancake

Couple of things for me. There has been several comments that the arrival of a donation scheme means FSS needs to work harder, smarter, be more aggressive. These are volunteers.

There’s an almost unspoken sense that FF means that FSS needs to buck up its ideas because FF has arrived. The club statement  “Fans support for Forever Falkirk is essential if we are to get back in the Premiership by 2026/27.”

That is a punchy message, and were I a FSS volunteer, that statement alone would give me some cause for concern. If people do indeed leave FSS for FF, I don’t think as an FSS Committee person, I would be inspired to go out seeking to get two replacements for everyone who decides to jump ship. I think it might be quite the opposite………..and once the shares are bought and paid for, FSS will die unless FF dies first. Two separate structures doing exactly the same thing is daft.

44 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

FSS, IMO, should really get aggressive in selling their benefits over FF. If they do that and do it well and some still join FF then they were never joining FSS. In that case FSS should have little quibble as the club is still getting a monthly donation, which ultimately is the most important thing, that it was not getting before.

There seems a little bit of lack of confidence and worry on the FSS side. IMO there is no need to be. They have done a good job so far, very few if any are going to move from FSS to this. If they do so be it, the club is still getting the donation. However have the attitude If we  lose one we are going to gain two. 

I don’t think one single person is going to move from the FSS to this new scheme as there is absolutely no reason for them to do so. IMO anybody who does sign up and contribute for whatever reason never had any intention to join the FSS in the first place therefore it’s a win win for everyone as the club has gained additional revenue no matter how small the figures are. I can’t see this new scheme gaining much in the way of numbers but I also can’t really see it harming the supporters society in the slightest either, any money it does raise (however little) is going to be over and above what the FSS was ever going to so I don’t understand why anybody would view that as a bad thing. In fairness I can’t get my head around the train of thought in not joining the FSS but there is still a minority of fans (I know of at least two!) who never have and still don’t believe in fan ownership but may be happy to contribute to this new scheme or something similar, if it does gets a few of those pig headed types contributing then great, if it doesn’t then we haven’t lost anything by trying. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

15 minutes ago, ChrispPancake said:

Donaldson is shite, he's slow, has zero vision for a pass and is found out of position when it matter most. He has every quality of a bad junior footballer. Burrell is a better centre half than  him and that is a serious statement

Did he steal your girlfriend.

1 hour ago, ChrispPancake said:

I'll take the second bite, I can think of his diagonal ball to Kennedy in the first game at TFS when Kennedy scored the volley and also off the top of my head it was Donaldson's run and pass to Morrison that started off one of the goals away at Airdrie in the 3-1 game.

Brad Mckay hoofs, Donaldson actually tries to pick a pass.

53 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I can’t see this new scheme gaining much in the way of numbers but I also can’t really see it harming the supporters society in the slightest either, any money it does raise (however little) is going to be over and above what the FSS was ever going to so I don’t understand why anybody would view that as a bad thing. 

What it does do is cause confusion. There is a possibility that the club will promote FF over the FSS as they are now seen as 2 competing options. Those thinking of paying into something, now will need to decide which route to take (if they even know about all possible avenues). The club could have easily just gone down the route by promoting the season ticket monthly option via the FSS only. That may have resulted in more folk joining and they would still get the cash, .although as DF stated it’s an expensive way to pay for your season ticket. In essence, there is absolutely no need for FF.

The other concern I have, is that it looks as though this is another way for the club to relieve you of your cash when there are already many options out there…FSS, 1876 Club, Equity Bairns etc.  It’s getting to the stage where fans might just think “I’ve had enough”.

33 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I'll take the second bite, I can think of his diagonal ball to Kennedy in the first game at TFS when Kennedy scored the volley and also off the top of my head it was Donaldson's run and pass to Morrison that started off one of the goals away at Airdrie in the 3-1 game.

Yea, I agree. There's no doubt that his form, like the rest of the team, has dropped recently but he's a good footballer and passer of the ball. He's quite effective in getting up over half way and passing lengthy balls to feet as well as long range ones out of defence.

The one thing that does bug me with him is his lazy looking style. He looks like he's out for a pleasant stroll rather than playing football. He constantly ignores Rowe who's often in a position to get forward and doesn't get the ball forward quickly enough, often allowing the opposition to regroup. I suppose if he was great at everything he wouldn't be with us right enough.

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Couple of things for me. There has been several comments that the arrival of a donation scheme means FSS needs to work harder, smarter, be more aggressive. These are volunteers.

There’s an almost unspoken sense that FF means that FSS needs to buck up its ideas because FF has arrived. The club statement  “Fans support for Forever Falkirk is essential if we are to get back in the Premiership by 2026/27.”

That is a punchy message, and were I a FSS volunteer, that statement alone would give me some cause for concern. If people do indeed leave FSS for FF, I don’t think as an FSS Committee person, I would be inspired to go out seeking to get two replacements for everyone who decides to jump ship. I think it might be quite the opposite………..and once the shares are bought and paid for, FSS will die unless FF dies first. Two separate structures doing exactly the same thing is daft.

100% this. You can’t say FSS are doing good work and simultaneously say they need to work harder. They have no resources and will never have the marketing power of the club.

The message of fan ownership has been widespread so it’s probably safe to say anyone that didn’t join up in the first number of months wasn’t quite as sold on that idea but over time has seen the benefit of a fans organisation that helps to fund the club. Fund, Safeguard and have your Say are the key principles of the FSS. 

It has been at a stage of organic growth and  slowly building up but that becomes all the more harder when you have to compete against the club trying to sell the fans a scheme that does exactly the same as one of the key principles of the FSS. 

To be honest part of my decision to not stand for election was because I knew this was on the horizon. It’s hard enough knocking in your pan in for a slow increase but to then compete against the club just makes it seem even more fruitless. 

There was definitely something in a club membership scheme at maybe £5/head. A lower price point than the FSS which would set out to be something entirely different and could maybe come with the discounts that are normally limited to Season Ticket holders. 

I also think the Season ticket monthly should be available to anyone. I have reservations about moving too many with the ability to cancel their direct debits mid season  however it could have been valuable to allow those on low incomes to buy a season ticket and that in turn would create new revenue. I hate the idea of trying to persuade anyone on a low income that this would be good for them when it costs an extra £120 overall.

Anyway said my piece about it but suffice to say I’m not a fan. I do appreciate the club have to look at a lot of avenues to create new revenue and I think the board have been doing a great job but this is not it for me.

With that said, I think Jamie is very helpful in supporting outside ventures and taking ideas on board so I’m sure the club will still keep supporting any FSS venture. I just wish there could be an alternate venture to the FF and work together to grow it rather than this idea about creating a scheme to put pressure on those working within the committee. 

37 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

What it does do is cause confusion. There is a possibility that the club will promote FF over the FSS as they are now seen as 2 competing options. Those thinking of paying into something, now will need to decide which route to take (if they even know about all possible avenues). The club could have easily just gone down the route by promoting the season ticket monthly option via the FSS only. That may have resulted in more folk joining and they would still get the cash, .although as DF stated it’s an expensive way to pay for your season ticket. In essence, there is absolutely no need for FF.

The other concern I have, is that it looks as though this is another way for the club to relieve you of your cash when there are already many options out there…FSS, 1876 Club, Equity Bairns etc.  It’s getting to the stage where fans might just think “I’ve had enough”.

I think the FSS should just have given the option of members donations not buying shares if the individual does not agree with fan ownership. Something along the lines of FSS2 where your money would be ring fenced for the playing budget or whatever. As it is, it does have a feel of the two bodies competing against each other.

I don't think there will be many that will buy into FF however. Many of those that say they don't agree with fan ownership will be using it as an excuse because they don't have the connection with the club, can't afford it, or may think it complicated to join so just don't bother.

I have twice paid annual membership to FSS, The mandate has now ended after the two year commitment and as yet I haven’t had contact about keeping subscriptions going. If I’m honest I’m not 100 % convinced fan ownership will grow very much or whether I actually believe in it. I subscribed for two years to put a few quid towards the club. 

I can’t help make comparisons to Bairnstrust and how that organisation was a vehicle for unqualified or unsuitable persons to be fans reps on the board. 

I’m 50/50 whether to keep paying into FSS or just give a few quid to FF

Edited by NUMBER 7

27 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

I have twice paid annual membership to FSS, The mandate has now ended after the two year commitment and as yet I haven’t had contact about keeping subscriptions going. If I’m honest I’m not 100 % I’m convinced fan ownership will grow very much or whether I actually believe in it. I subscribed for two years to put a few quid towards the club. 

I can’t help make comparisons to Bairnstrust and how that organisation was a vehicle for unqualified or unsuitable persons to be fans reps on the board. 

I’m 50/50 whether to keep paying into FSS or just give a few quid to FF

The FSS hasn’t been running for 2 years so shouldn’t have ended? 

Edit to add: if you’re worried about the wrong people getting on the board as fans reps then why not stay with the FSS so you can have a vote. 

Edited by Van_damage

7 hours ago, Van_damage said:

The FSS hasn’t been running for 2 years so shouldn’t have ended? 

Edit to add: if you’re worried about the wrong people getting on the board as fans reps then why not stay with the FSS so you can have a vote. 

On 28/11.  2021 and 2022 I made the same lump sum payments to FSS. I’ve paid twice. I assume the 2022 payment takes a “membership” up to November 2023. That was the commitment if paying a Lump Sum through the PayPal facility, you had two commit to pay for two years. 

Currently I’m quite happy how FSS is run, good communications, representation within FSS and on the board. I’ll review my position in November, but FSS will need to remind me my fees are due as currently although a member,  I’m no longer on a Direct Debit arrangement or Annual payment and it not the type of thing that you remember you got to pay.

Edited by NUMBER 7

29 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

On 28/11.  2021 and 2022 I made the same lump sum payments to FSS. I’ve paid twice. I assume the 2022 payment takes a “membership” up to November 2023. That was the commitment if paying a Lump Sum through the PayPal facility, you had two commit to pay for two years. 

Currently I’m quite happy how FSS is run, good communications, representation within FSS and on the board. I’ll review my position in November, but FSS will need to remind me my fees are due as currently although a member,  I’m no longer on a Direct Debit arrangement or Annual payment and it not the type of thing that you remember you got to pay.

It might not be flagged up until your next payment doesn’t come out but I can check with the admin to see. They are normally very good at chasing up missed payments or profiles that have been cancelled.

It might have slipped the net though as know from experience that there are a lot of emails that come through each day regarding payments and some issues with PayPal cancelling profiles due to changes in bank details etc. 

9 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Maybe so, but 99% of the time his distribution doesn't go anywhere near where its intended. He really does get away with so much. If it was McKay, the furore would be considerably higher. The Guy thinks he's Maldini, but lets be honest in reality he's just a bang average Scottish centre half. 

On a slightly different note here as it is Alloa we are playing tomorrow, did anyone ever get caught as the culprit who gave Brian Rice the abuse at our last game. Club and folk on here seemed to make a big thing of it at the the time, and rightly so, but just wondered if the guilty party was ever found