The Falkirk FC Thread

9 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Knowing our luck a stonewall penalty will not be awarded to us in the absence of VAR 

We've had that all bloody season anyway to be honest.  My problem with var is that it forces officials to enforce laws that aren't fit for purpose.  Saturday was the perfect example of this. There was no screams from the stands for a penalty the ref wasn't interested in a penalty and there was only a half hearted appeal from one ICT player. Noone was chasing the ref imploring him to give a penalty. In a normal champ or league one game the match continues and noone gives a toss. Instead var gets involved and they get a goal when all they've done is blast the ball off a defenders hand from a few yards.  Until we ever have a set of actual sensible rules in place for football id be quite happy for var to be binned asap.

Edited by Shodwall cat

34 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Saturday was the perfect example of this. There was no screams from the stands for a penalty the ref wasn't interested in a penalty and there was only a half hearted appeal from one ICT player.

I didn’t watch the game live on Saturday and read similar comments on the match thread before I saw the highlights so I was expecting a huge error, nobody claiming for it, etc. When I watched the highlights, the guy who crossed it claimed for it straight away and the two ICT players in the box also had their arms in the air screaming for the penalty. The Caley fans were at the opposite end of the stadium so it's hardly surprising they didn't all shout for it. When the replay was shown it looked like the defender sadly (for him) had his trailing arm outstretched, and it wasn't as close to him as some of the other comments had suggested and so under the current laws it was a definite penalty. I'd rather it was a bonkers decision for the lols, but it wasn't a horrific decision albeit the referee and linesman missed it first time round. I think if there wasn't VAR and the replay was shown at half time the chat would have been that you'd got away with one. 

As hard as it may be, we all need to get right behind the team in these play off games, especially if the games aren’t going our way. The atmosphere is brutal at times. Even on Saturday once the penalty went in, we went flat for a bit. Get right behind them and it might just be the difference. 

5 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I didn’t watch the game live on Saturday and read similar comments on the match thread before I saw the highlights so I was expecting a huge error, nobody claiming for it, etc. When I watched the highlights, the guy who crossed it claimed for it straight away and the two ICT players in the box also had their arms in the air screaming for the penalty. The Caley fans were at the opposite end of the stadium so it's hardly surprising they didn't all shout for it. When the replay was shown it looked like the defender sadly (for him) had his trailing arm outstretched, and it wasn't as close to him as some of the other comments had suggested and so under the current laws it was a definite penalty. I'd rather it was a bonkers decision for the lols, but it wasn't a horrific decision albeit the referee and linesman missed it first time round. I think if there wasn't VAR and the replay was shown at half time the chat would have been that you'd got away with one. 

Nonsense the rules are the problem here as I said. Why should any side be given an advantage of a goal a start simply for blasting the ball off a defenders hand. It's completely ludicrous. He was about 5 yards away and hit it on the half volley. There was no chance of McCann getting out the way. The rules are not fit for purpose. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Come on. Look at their signings for starters  FFS. All pish. Covid kept them in a job that season nothing else. We had started to tank with defeats to Airdrie and east Fife and then lucky for them the league stopped.  As a full time side we then got going quicker and had a fortunate win at home to Montrose before beating a dreadful forfar side who only won 4 games all season. We then could only draw at home to second bottom Dumbarton.   Our only other win between then and the season ending was at home to 3rd bottom Clyde. We lost to cove and Peterhead and they were given the boot but by then it was far too late anyway.  Noone will deny we  had a poor run of form winning 2 drawing 4 and losing 2 in our last 8 but I wouldn't say every one of those performances was dreadful .  The performances especially the one  against Dunfermline at home didn't seem to me to be one of a side that's chucked it and in our last league game we thrashed the side we could quite easily be playing in the playoffs away from home and yet you want mcglynn sacked.

McGlynn has better players yet lost 7 in 35 compared to 6 in 32 for M&M.

Does it not say more for McGlynn that his overall results are the same despite having recruited better players and having the same record when 3 defeats out of the 6 M&M had came in their last 4 games when apparently the players had chucked it?

5 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Does it not say more for McGlynn that his overall results are the same despite having recruited better players and having the same record when 3 defeats out of the 6 M&M had came in their last 4 games when apparently the players had chucked it?

Yet the performances and results we got under M&M were enough to leave us finished where... exactly?

Context matters and I have absolutely no idea why you are continuously choosing to ignore it in order to compare McGlynn who finished second and in the playoffs, with those two who fell off a cliff and left us with f**k all. 

Re the VAR chat in my opinion it is harming the game the way it is being implemented.

The only people who are happy are the the pedantic bores who slaver on about the “laws” of the game.

VAR should only be used to correct an obvious error by the on field officials not whether someone’s flapping bootlace is offside.

There should also be a 30 second time limit on checking decisions, taking longer would suggest that the incident was not an obvious mistake / oversight by the officials.

Obviously mistakes would be made but football is not an exact science it is entertainment and the current use of VAR is seriously damaging the sport.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yet the performances and results we got under M&M were enough to leave us finished where... exactly?

Context matters and I have absolutely no idea why you are continuously choosing to ignore it in order to compare McGlynn who finished second and in the playoffs, with those two who fell off a cliff and left us with f**k all. 

10 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Sense a hidden agenda in your posts CP 🤔

17 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Will you please please please stop going on about Miller & Mcracken they were completely out their depth and the league wasn't anywhere near as strong as it is this season. 

Comparing their record to McGlynn's is a moot point, as shown by the fact we finished 5th with them in charge for almost a full season and 2nd this season only to a team that lost one league game all season.

Edited by FFC 1876

Guest Caractacus Potts
11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

When they left we were 2nd and 2 off top. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
8 minutes ago, Kircer bairn said:

Another one with the agenda chat. Please expand. 

33 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

As hard as it may be, we all need to get right behind the team in these play off games, especially if the games aren’t going our way. The atmosphere is brutal at times. Even on Saturday once the penalty went in, we went flat for a bit. Get right behind them and it might just be the difference. 

If you are a Falkirk fan why in these play off games will it be hard to get behind the side. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
10 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Will you please please please stop going on about Miller & Mcracken they were completely out their depth and the league wasn't anywhere near as strong as it is this season. 

Comparing their record to McGlynn's is a moot point, as shown by the fact we finished 5th with them in charge for almost a full season and 2nd this season only to a team that lost one league game all season.

If you stop adding wrong information then maybe. We didn’t finish 5th with them. They were sacked with 4 games to go when we were 2nd and only 2 points off top. That’s the whole point of the stick or twist opinion I have with McGlynn. 

4 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Constant Miller and McCracken chat is making me want to greet. Please stop.

Yeah I'm actually going to apologise for my part in it. As I said, I seem to have been somewhat hypnotised by the sheer fucking oddness of the thing. 

Can’t see Mcglynn having too much longer in football. Only has one way of playing and it’s easy enough to play against. Play offs should be interesting enough and if Falkirk get past Airdrie then I reckon you’s will go up as the championship team or Alloa aren’t up to much 

2 hours ago, MulsonFFC said:

No more mention of 'M&M', any other managerial comparisons or replacing McGlynn until after the pay-offs please FFS.

Freudian slip? Do you know something we don’t???