The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Zbairn said:

They could buy the North Stand and redevelop it into offices or units.

My original reply to HSW was in relation to what West Lothian does for Livi. The other bits re council use was an afterthought.

I understand your point about WLC and the launderers but I would be very wary of copying anything that happens up there.

Also honestly don’t think that buying the Stadium would be a good use of very scarce Council money particularly at the moment.

In a perfect world the club would buy them out but of course, that is pure fantasy.

13 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Fine with that, tough draw (again) but a home game with a decent away support. Is there only 1 TV game? If so I can see that going to TNS v Arbroath 

That'll probably be on S4C

28 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Heard a comment today about McGlynn's recruitment and how spectacularly successful it's been. Very few failures. Looking at the squad lists posted earlier, it's hard to disagree. 

Agree with this. Would say his only real failure was Matty Wright. And guess you could say Allan has started below expectations although he looked much improved in the QP game. Other than that cannot think of a single player that has not been an improvement on the player before.

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I understand your point about WLC and the launderers but I would be very wary of copying anything that happens up there.

Also honestly don’t think that buying the Stadium would be a good use of very scarce Council money particularly at the moment.

In a perfect world the club would buy them out but of course, that is pure fantasy.

Council would never sell to FFC we went through that discussion ages ago and its been flogged to death. FFC will never own a home ground again, shameful but there it is.

Clean break with no responsibility for it's running is the next best option.

9 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Good draw and Utd will probably sell out the visiting stand. 

I very much doubt it tbh, remember this is the challenge cup rather than the scottish

They played Dunfermline at EEP in a QF in 2016/17 and there was only 2,576 in total at that game

If they manage to bring the 6-700 they brought to TFS earlier in the season that would be decent

4 hours ago, Zbairn said:

I have a lot of sympathy in this. 

West Lothian do it for the money launderers so why can't our council take ownership and let us use the football facilities for a peppercorn rent?

A successful footy team brings in a lot of economic benefit / good PR to the area and this should be supported by the Council , not just an afterthought as and when it happens. Look at how the area was buzzing when we last got to a cup final (and finals before that)

The only downside I can see of us turning the place over to the council, would be the loss of revenue when we have concerts. Maybe we could cut a deal that the club owns the pitch whilst the building infrastructure is owned by the Council. 

Plus, the space at the stadium is not properly utilised by the council and they could easily absorb many of the outlying offices and depts into the stadium making it financially worth while and save cash.

I honestly think our Council is missing a trick at the Stadium and not using it to its full potential. 

That is where negotiation comes into it and sell the benefits for both parties and that requires some business savvy people that know how to make a pitch.

For example move the offices out the stadium. Council get a dedicated modern office block. FFC open offices in town maybe together with a shop / pub to exploit a central location certainly plenty of office / shops available therefore reducing club overheads and the town center gets another premises open and trading. Council get full control of TFS area for development FFC get a much needed cash injection at a critical stage for the clubs future and reduced overheads ongoing knowing we don't have to fund roof repairs, new seating , floodlights, pitch on a continual basis with a renegotiated rental agreement ( no lease ) to reflect the ups and downs of our league position.

14 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

That is where negotiation comes into it and sell the benefits for both parties and that requires some business savvy people that know how to make a pitch.

For example move the offices out the stadium. Council get a dedicated modern office block. FFC open offices in town maybe together with a shop / pub to exploit a central location certainly plenty of office / shops available therefore reducing club overheads and the town center gets another premises open and trading. Council get full control of TFS area for development FFC get a much needed cash injection at a critical stage for the clubs future and reduced overheads ongoing knowing we don't have to fund roof repairs, new seating , floodlights, pitch on a continual basis with a renegotiated rental agreement ( no lease ) to reflect the ups and downs of our league position.

When transfer targets come up to meet the manager, they could meet at Benny T's maybe?  Rename ouselves as Nomads maybe? What's to stop a club like Queens Park outbidding us on renting the pitch whilst their stadium gets done? 

The business heads at Board level say we get a good deal on the stadium, that's fair enough for me. 

30 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

Anyone know if Stirling’s got decent drainage at Forthbank or if they have 4G pitch or grass? Thinking about any possible waterlogged pitch come Saturday.

Definitely grass but not sure if any drainage system will cope with 72 hours of incessant rain to be frank.

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

Good draw and Utd will probably sell out the visiting stand. 

For a Challenge Cup 1/4 final? Nae chance. It's the best draw we could have got regarding attracting an away crowd, but I'd be surprised if they bring much more than 500 or so.

22 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Get it right on the park and you've got a far better chance of getting it right off the park . All I've ever wanted was a decent manager appointed who could persuade decent players to sign for the club. The former board gave miller and McCracken contract extensions and then appointed both sheeting and Holt.  All dreadful appointments that cost the club god knows how much money.  M and m and Holt's recruitment were absolutely honking and that's more money down the drain. How anyone could appoint two guys that looked so far out of their depth that night at the inchyra is completely beyond me.  I've never heard a manager tell people I wish I was better in all my life, never mind holts were you good in your first job pish.  A complete disaster which saw all our cash reserves we'd built up pissed down the drain to come mid table in league one. Inexcusable I'm afraid in my book.

As opposed to the appointment of Martin Rennie which turned out to be such a success???

How much of the cash reserves do you think he pissed away on duds like Griffiths and others who conspired to have a worse record than Sheerin.