The Falkirk FC Thread

A good win despite a fairly poor 2nd half performance.   Ive been critical of McIver on here recently (probably unfairly) but even though I didnt think he was outstanding today he took his goal really well and his hustling and never say die attitude created the second.   Morrison and Alfie had real off days today and our midfield fell out of it second half.  The defence held it together well but I  dont think Hogarth looked as comfortable as Long in goals.  But focus on the positives - Top of the league feels amazing and cracking into the beers.

1 minute ago, GunnerBairn said:

A tough game, the toughest I’ve seen this season IMO. We were below par with several players not at the races - Alfie and Morrison for instance. Spencer was quiet until he came up with a crucial winner, and the importance can’t be understated! The ref was clueless and likely had a bet on. Against the odds we won. We would’ve drawn or lost that game in seasons past. Mentions to the full backs Leon and Finn for taking the all the hits and fouls. Further mentions to subs Ross and Miller who got stuck in when called upon. Scenes when Spencer scored! Play poorly and still win could be the sign of champions. 

Play badly and win is the trademark of good team spirit and the right attitude even on an off day.

That would have meant a lot to the players at full-time. They will have known it was an off day and a rollicking awaited them in the dressing room but they ground out the result - well done.

Oliver is a strange one. Usually does well off the bench, earns a start, does nothing, gets dropped again - rinse and repeat. Far from the worst player we've had at the club over the last few years but overall pretty ineffective and too lightweight - would rather see any combination Lawal/ Nesbitt/ Miller/ Ross/ Agyeman in there instead tbh 

24 minutes ago, Balde Bairn said:

I think we all agree that Brian is one of our more challenged fan who’s had a fair few incidents through the years. However, unloading him on that clown of a captain was fantastic to see. 

Think most Falkirk fans have a lot of time for the guy, I went to school with him and a more dedicated Falkirk fan you will struggle to find, he lives and breathes the club, even though he gets a tad excited at times 🤣

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

A fully fit Calvin Miller has to start for me, he is a class player. Mind you he should have played Ola in.

Agreed, I thought Miller was class when he came on and was sharp last week from the bench too. Was willing him to score after his solo run through the heart of their defence, would’ve been goal of the season, for me. Great attacking run.

You just always get the feeling McGlynn is looking for an excuse to start Oliver. His sub appearance a few weeks back earning him weeks of credit whereas Ola impresses off the bench and he'll be back there the next week. 

For me Miller and Morrison out wide and Agyeman, Ross and Lawal all better options to start behind McIvor. 

Alfie not at the races today but he's been effective more often than not this season. Like him better in the middle than out wide. 

I think that the Accies result today is a big one. As we know to our cost over the last few years when teams in this league see they can get results against you it makes them try harder. In saying that we all know that we will drop points as well but hopefully not as many as them!

15 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

I think that the Accies result today is a big one. As we know to our cost over the last few years when teams in this league see they can get results against you it makes them try harder. In saying that we all know that we will drop points as well but hopefully not as many as them!

I do agree to an extent but it's hard to get carried away, it's only October. A lot of football to be played.

How many times did Dunfermline say they didn’t play that well but got over the line? That will do for me, as much as we would like total domination from start to finish. Alfie has been excellent this season, but he’s better in the 10. That few games of Miller and Morrison wide and Alfie behind MacIver we were at our best IMO. 

I like having wingers but I often feel they dispatch the ball too early if they come inside ( invert). Morrison in particular could from those positions head more into the box. He’d then have a pretty good chance of being fouled with a resultant penalty. The early ball usually means we only have one player in the box when it arrives and him challenged by several defenders. A little more composure please. 

1 hour ago, Tea and Busquets said:

How many times did Dunfermline say they didn’t play that well but got over the line? That will do for me, as much as we would like total domination from start to finish. Alfie has been excellent this season, but he’s better in the 10. That few games of Miller and Morrison wide and Alfie behind MacIver we were at our best IMO. 

Exactly this, team picks itself now. Keeper (Long if fit), steady back 4, Henderson Spencer, then Morrison and miller on the wing with Agyeman behind Maciver. That is the 11 right there and any adaptations to it should only be caused by injury. 

Here we go. Spencer surrounded by 5 Albion defenders and still has the composure to stroke it into the onion bag. Ya beauty!

Edit: On re-watching the Spencer goal again, Ross was scythed down just as he made his pass, if Spencer had missed would we have been awarded a penalty?

Edited by Bairn in Exile

57 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Here we go. Spencer surrounded by 5 Albion defenders and still has the composure to stroke it into the onion bag. Ya beauty!

Edit: On re-watching the Spencer goal again, Ross was scythed down just as he made his pass, if Spencer had missed would we have been awarded a penalty?

Might be wrong but looks like the referee is just about to blow his whistle right before we score. I can only assume for a penalty and not brining back the play for the earlier foul.