The Falkirk FC Thread

31 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I see we've sold over 5000 strips this season which is bloody good going.

Fucking wish we could be a one club town. Maybe one day you'll see more Bairns tops than the other shite I won't mention, but yeah that 5k number was a surprise to me. Brilliant stuff. 

34 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Where was that mentioned? Some of our best jerseys in a good wee while 

3 minutes ago, ClathyDave said:

Where was that mentioned? Some of our best jerseys in a good wee while 

It's on the Bairns View that comes out on email Dave.

The club is delighted to announce that strip sales are on course to reach 5,000 for season 2023-24, which could be a record-breaking year. The response from supporters to this season's home, away and heritage strips has been truly phenomenal, with over 1,800 home and almost 1,200 heritage sales. Away sales have also surpassed the 1,000 mark and over 500 goalkeeper tops have been purchased. The club is forever grateful for the incredible backing it receives from our supporters.

This season is the club's first with Official Kit Suppliers O'Neill's and our 3rd year working with Retail Partners Greaves Sports. The club wishes to place on records its appreciation for both partners in what could be an historic year.

If you've still not purchased a strip in this record breaking season, then you can browse the options below.

1 hour ago, StuartA said:

I like the rotation. Football is a squad game. Not giving more of the squad a run risks them being rustier or disengaged when injuries or suspensions happen.

Case in point - Tam got injured, we could move Hendo knowing Tait could step in, and didn’t he do well. Similarly if Cal needs a rest after a couple of kickings this week, Ross is more likely to be match-fit. And Mackie has done well - can’t argue with two assists.

As for the keepers, much of a muchness and tbh I think the concerns, while not unjustified, are a bit exaggerated. All about opinions etc, though I do trust McGlynn’s more than most. 

I think folk are a bit scarred by Edinburgh away. The difference is though that the Edinburgh game wasn't squad rotation it was a full change in system. 

The end of the 3rd quarter, while we are more regularly playing 3 games a a week, is the ideal time to rotate the squad. I've little problem with it and I'm sure if we did go on a run of dropped points we would see the strongest 11 back in pretty soon.

1 hour ago, StuartA said:

I like the rotation. Football is a squad game. Not giving more of the squad a run risks them being rustier or disengaged when injuries or suspensions happen.

Case in point - Tam got injured, we could move Hendo knowing Tait could step in, and didn’t he do well. Similarly if Cal needs a rest after a couple of kickings this week, Ross is more likely to be match-fit. And Mackie has done well - can’t argue with two assists.

As for the keepers, much of a muchness and tbh I think the concerns, while not unjustified, are a bit exaggerated. All about opinions etc, though I do trust McGlynn’s more than most. 

I agree on the rotation point. To me, there is no point in having a squad if you can’t use it. Players will lose form and pick up injuries/suspensions over the season and it’s no good if there replacements haven’t played for months.

A good example is the 13/14 H*lt season. Our starting 11 was probably the best we had for many years with the likes of McGovern, Kingsley, Duffie, Millar, Sibbald, McGrandles and Loy. However, we fell short of the title largely imo because we only had the likes of Durojaiye or untried youngsters on the bench.

1 hour ago, Raybowski89 said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I too am delighted with how it's going but I am genuinely concerned with the lack of goals in the team at the moment, as we're possibly becoming a wee bit too reliant on crosses alone. I reckon teams have sussed this out. I got slaughtered last night for suggesting we should realistically have a plan B. Don't see what's wrong with that? 

What would that Plan B look like and how would it be better than our record so far? Plan B last night was to bring Miller on, and it worked. 

I think the only Plan B we could have would be a change in system, otherwise you're replacing like for like. That would probably mean bringing Shanley on to partner MacIver meaning that we would need to lose either a defender by going 3 at the back, a defensive mid or a winger. 

I'm not sure that we should consider moving away from the system that's served us so well, unless we're chasing a game late on?

In terms of a plan b, I don't think we need some massive change in system or anything more just awareness on the park.

Using the Annan game for example we put in about 1 million crosses, they were eaten up by their CBS, GK and that big lad Goss.

The wingers should have adjusted to getting into the box or down to the byeline and hitting it across low or cutting it back for someone attacking the box from deep (which there never was).

We were consistently just attacking in one line, which pushed their defense line back to cover the crosses but there was never anyone up pick up a second ball further away from the goal.

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Incredible and welcomed income. Interesting to find out where we would be out with the arse cheeks & Edinburgh teams in terms of numbers.

Thing is, Plan A is working nearly every week. Okay, we don’t pump every side by 5 goals each week but no side does.

John McGlynn did a talk for FSS members last year when he was surprisingly frank about how he approaches games, which was an eye opener. It’s clear that  there’s so much more too it, the approach is more like a framework than a straightforward this formation, or that formation. They switch formations and tactics throughout the match, and it’s much more fluid than the Champ Manager version.

It basically showed me how little I know about the game. 

Edited by StuartA

21 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

In terms of a plan b, I don't think we need some massive change in system or anything more just awareness on the park.

Using the Annan game for example we put in about 1 million crosses, they were eaten up by their CBS, GK and that big lad Goss.

The wingers should have adjusted to getting into the box or down to the byeline and hitting it across low or cutting it back for someone attacking the box from deep (which there never was).

We were consistently just attacking in one line, which pushed their defense line back to cover the crosses but there was never anyone up pick up a second ball further away from the goal.

For me that's where you need the players on the park to step up and realise just whacking balls into the box isn't working as opposed to McGlynn doing anything tactically. 

Your more creative players need to get on the ball and make things happen. Tait has a bit of that in him but it's definitely somewhere we need to strengthen in the summer. 

The players on the park also need to actually attack the crosses we're putting into the box especially when they are coming in as regularly as they are. Farid would have had 30+ goals in this team.

26 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Thing is, Plan A is working nearly every week. Okay, we don’t pump every side by 5 goals each week but no side does.

John McGlynn did a talk for FSS members last year when he was surprisingly frank about how he approaches games, which was an eye opener. It’s clear that  there’s so much more too it, the approach is more like a framework than a straightforward this formation, or that formation. They switch formations and tactics throughout the match, and it’s much more fluid than the Champ Manager version.

It basically showed me how little I know about the game. 

I’m not a big fan of Simon Ferry but the recent podcast with McGlynn really opened my eyes to the amount of work, preparation and time he dedicates to what he does. He just lives football and it’s so much more complex than most of us give credence to.

That’s referring to McGlynn, not Ferry for clarity. 

Edited by Rugster

20 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I think the only Plan B we could have would be a change in system, otherwise you're replacing like for like. That would probably mean bringing Shanley on to partner MacIver meaning that we would need to lose either a defender by going 3 at the back, a defensive mid or a winger. 

I'm not sure that we should consider moving away from the system that's served us so well, unless we're chasing a game late on?

Best option is to modify Plan A to mix things up a bit more in particular the last 1/3rd of the park.

Maybe not this season but if we go up, teams will have already sussed us out we will have to have these options available.

2 hours ago, Raybowski89 said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I too am delighted with how it's going but I am genuinely concerned with the lack of goals in the team at the moment, as we're possibly becoming a wee bit too reliant on crosses alone. I reckon teams have sussed this out. I got slaughtered last night for suggesting we should realistically have a plan B. Don't see what's wrong with that? 

I actually think the lack of goals is due to us being at the business end of the season. At least 7 teams in the league will be playing us thinking a point would be magnificent but aim to avoid a heavy defeat. As points become more precious the more likely we are to see teams just try and frustrate us rather than score a goal themselves. 

That was as good as a win for Annan at the weekend. 

On 04/03/2024 at 09:24, ShaggerG said:

Why don't you whine about us losing our first game now? It'll save you time later. 

On 04/03/2024 at 09:31, BPM said:

Who is crowing about it? One thing - which you as a customer won’t get - is that considering the absolute shambles we, a fans, inherited this will be the most satisfying promotion I have ever seen. We have had better of course but the nature of this will give me plenty satisfaction. 

On 04/03/2024 at 09:39, Bairnardo said:

It's all relative isn't it. Why would you, as a "customer" willingly suffer the shite times week after week, year after year in this league, then when the good times return start whinging like f**k about how it's not as good as something that happened years ago? Absolutely insane attitude. 

Would I rather we were romping the league above? Of course, but we're not in the league above. It deservedly shat us out because our club ate itself from the inside. As you correctly point out, we can all take a small part of this seasons success up till now personally. Maybe thats the difference between fan and customer? 

Not celebrating a title win too much is an attitude I might have been OK with had we annihilated this league at the first time of asking but we didn't, so now we're just a league one team finally putting on a bit of show and assuming we get it over the line, il be tears and snotters of unbridled joy. I have no fucking idea why any fan would try and use "look how clever I am" logic to try and wave that away.

There's been a lot of what we "deserve" over the years. I'd say this season we actually do deserve what's unfolding. 

On 04/03/2024 at 10:01, Disco Duck said:

You know it’s been a decent season when Kiddy makes an appearance on the back of a 1-1 home draw.  It usually takes a defeat for this voice of misery to appear.

i sometimes long for the days of OneF, as it kept him away from here.

20 hours ago, Rugster said:

I wonder if @kiddy is a satisfied “customer” tonight?  

#RentFree 😂🤣😂

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Honestly cant understand the constant confusion on this thread between criticism on a game to game basis and negativity. 

There's maybe only a couple of yer genuinely "negative" posters even left posting, such has been the magnificence of this season. Even the old board cheerleaders have wisely piped down. But game to game praise and/or criticism is absolutely the right way to analyse your teams performances. I'm having the time of my life following these boys this season and no amount of me saying "I don't agree with doing month each for goalies" is going to change that, but il fucking guarantee, that criticism where its due from John McGlynn and Paul Smith has played a huge part in us getting our standards this high and keeping them there. Granted, they will be more forensic about it, but the principle is the same, and that will continue next season as we will seek to demand better again. 

Thank you for posting this. It's actually tiresome the response on here to genuine criticism which is always labelled as 'negativity' or 'doing the team down'. Every single fan on here has been revelling in this amazing season, why wouldn't we? But I've said it before and I'll say it again; it's a discussion forum! As you've said, as an example, some people aren't arsed by rotating goalkeeper, others think it's a stupid idea. Exchange these opinions and hold different ones, fine. Even happens when the line-ups get posted and someone has the audacity to say 'hmm dk if I'd have started him', which is like the most vanilla opinion ever. Labelling everyone who makes the slightest critiques 'knicker wetters' and other names similar is just boring and negates the purpose of board like this tbh

1 hour ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Thank you for posting this. It's actually tiresome the response on here to genuine criticism which is always labelled as 'negativity' or 'doing the team down'. Every single fan on here has been revelling in this amazing season, why wouldn't we? But I've said it before and I'll say it again; it's a discussion forum! As you've said, as an example, some people aren't arsed by rotating goalkeeper, others think it's a stupid idea. Exchange these opinions and hold different ones, fine. Even happens when the line-ups get posted and someone has the audacity to say 'hmm dk if I'd have started him', which is like the most vanilla opinion ever. Labelling everyone who makes the slightest critiques 'knicker wetters' and other names similar is just boring and negates the purpose of board like this tbh

Knicker wetting IMO

3 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Best option is to modify Plan A to mix things up a bit more in particular the last 1/3rd of the park.

Maybe not this season but if we go up, teams will have already sussed us out we will have to have these options available.

Correct.

"Plan B is Plan A ... just done better".  Marcelo Bielsa