The Falkirk FC Thread

Very happy with Tait signing.  I wonder if McGlynn sees Henderson as CH cover this season if Spencer and Tait starting in midfield.  Also Oliver, Nesbitt and McKenna in there with Yeats able to step in too.  No obvious place for Henderson in midfield anymore (though I like the height he brings in there).  

A striker to challenge MacIvor still very much needed imo but expect someone on loan rather than another signing.  Unless (as I've mentioned before) Alfie could do a job there.  

Delighted with Tait resigning, not only a quality player but yet again more consistency in our squad, so little settling in for us which I'm hoping means an important fast start to the season to set our stall out.

I'm generally very very happy with the squad, especially all outfield positions. Re the goalie position, would have preferred an experienced first pick goalie that commands his six yard box more but am trusting mcglynn he's seen enough in the two we have to be well enough equipped.

What I don't understand is that I thought the squad numbers quoted were for something like 3,200 season tickets being sold, with many weeks to go we are 500 over that. At an average of say £250 per ticket, that's an extra £125,000 over the budget. Doesn't that mean we can afford another 2-3 quality players? (Striker, CB). Or am I missing something? Are we holding back money to see how the first few months go, given we have a good squad and if needed strengthen January? Could understand this strategy if so, no point upsetting a good settled squad when we don't know how it will fare as yet. Also appreciate we may be budgeting for losing some pay at the gate revenue with some folks opting instead for season tickets, although away fans will be up to more than compensate.

Also guessing the Jordan Allan situation hasn't been resolved yet,which might mean another player having to come in. I like him but appreciate he may not fit out style of play.

29 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Still very early days. The priority signings of Tait , Ross and a goalkeeper to challenge Nicky are now done and dusted and we also have McKenna.  I would expect the management to have a couple of loan deals still available .  I expect the young right back and the apprentices will all be assessed over the coming weeks to see who is up to staying in the first team squad and who will be loaned out this season. That will then highlight areas we need to strengthen ready for the league cup campaign.

Adams is 22 yr old, young in terms of experience but same age as Tait. I’m hoping he’s a first team player.

7 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Very happy with Tait signing.  I wonder if McGlynn sees Henderson as CH cover this season if Spencer and Tait starting in midfield.  Also Oliver, Nesbitt and McKenna in there with Yeats able to step in too.  No obvious place for Henderson in midfield anymore (though I like the height he brings in there).  

A striker to challenge MacIvor still very much needed imo but expect someone on loan rather than another signing.  Unless (as I've mentioned before) Alfie could do a job there.  

As much as I love the Spencer Tait combo in midfield my only concern with them and miller Morrison we might be a bit lightweight physically in the championship in the middle of the park. I'd happily see Henderson Spencer and Tait rotated two out of three depending on who we are playing which is pretty much what mcglynn did with them last season. Hendos physicality and ariel threat at set pieces is important. Tait and Spencer probably better technically and passing wise. Great position to have three central midfielders we all pretty much love though 

1 minute ago, HonestAl said:

Adams is 22 yr old, young in terms of experience but same age as Tait. I’m hoping he’s a first team player.

Your only going to know that once he plays at a higher level. Until then we have zero idea on whether we can rely on him as competition for Finn's place or not. Friendlies and perhaps the league cup will show us what he's got.

53 minutes ago, One off poster said:

I'd love another centre half (one that can also play right back if I'm being greedy) and a centre forward but even without either, if we can avoid too many injuries I think we're in good shape for the season ahead.

Thats exactly my take on the two players. Got a feeling that McGlynn will still pull a rabbit out a hat 🎩 😉

12 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Delighted with Tait resigning, not only a quality player but yet again more consistency in our squad, so little settling in for us which I'm hoping means an important fast start to the season to set our stall out.

I'm generally very very happy with the squad, especially all outfield positions. Re the goalie position, would have preferred an experienced first pick goalie that commands his six yard box more but am trusting mcglynn he's seen enough in the two we have to be well enough equipped.

What I don't understand is that I thought the squad numbers quoted were for something like 3,200 season tickets being sold, with many weeks to go we are 500 over that. At an average of say £250 per ticket, that's an extra £125,000 over the budget. Doesn't that mean we can afford another 2-3 quality players? (Striker, CB). Or am I missing something? Are we holding back money to see how the first few months go, given we have a good squad and if needed strengthen January? Could understand this strategy if so, no point upsetting a good settled squad when we don't know how it will fare as yet. Also appreciate we may be budgeting for losing some pay at the gate revenue with some folks opting instead for season tickets, although away fans will be up to more than compensate.

Also guessing the Jordan Allan situation hasn't been resolved yet,which might mean another player having to come in. I like him but appreciate he may not fit out style of play.

Would be great to get a few loans in but we also have a current squad of 21 senior players and given we're fan owned banking any extra season ticket money would probably be wise to ensure we keep ourselves above the water. 

I've no doubt the current board will do their best to make any increases to the budget that they can and as we've heard before McGlynn won't be shy in asking for more. 

32 minutes ago, Baggio said:

I know a guy at Cumbernauld Colts, McGlynn loves Adams and apparently he was the fittest guy in the squad when he trained with us.  I don't think he'll be going on loan anywhere, he's 22 so not a youth player.  

Anyway, delighted for the return of Dylan Tait! 

I had heard the same about Adams from a guy I work with

4 minutes ago, Double t said:

I had heard the same about Adams from a guy I work with

I didn't think allen would be going on loan anywhere when we signed him. You just can't tell. Hopefully he will be excellent and find the huge jump in level easy to get to grips with but there's no guarantees. Look at the players that have scored barrowloads of goals in the lowland league for instance but can't hack it in league one even. Who knows.

Think there’ll be a lot more rotation this year due to teams being set up differently against us. Last year we could play the same shape and midfield every game because we knew every single game we’d be facing 10 (or 11) men behind the ball. Can see games where Hendo starts or games where Tait starts. Think Spencer starts every game if fit. Huge strength in depth there now though, being able to sub on Tait or Hendo if the game needs them 

1 minute ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Brilliant news sighing Tait there will have been cash to Hibs involved in signing him, so no more signings. Couple of loans and that's it CB & CF. Got a feeling Arfield as a mid season signing to end his career where it all started

I bet there hasn’t been cash. Hibs have said it is a sell on clause 

45 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

It is only the first day of preseason remember, nothing to say there won't be more signings, I think there will be. However, remember we now have a grass pitch to potentially plan for if our goal is still premiership by 2026/2027. 

Day one of pre-season and of looking into small things far too much because I feel like it; MacIver is now number 9 instead of Allan, who appears to be wearing a kit without a number on it.

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Need Hendo starting IMO. Physicality in the midfield.

54 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Would be great to get a few loans in but we also have a current squad of 21 senior players and given we're fan owned banking any extra season ticket money would probably be wise to ensure we keep ourselves above the water. 

Don’t think we should be going crazy with budgets but equally I do think it’s worth trying to finish as high up the table as possible from a financial perspective.

There’s quite a big difference in prize money between 4th and 8th. We also want to try and keep the positive momentum around the place and get as many of the new ST holders back as possible next season (looks like Dunfermline have lost quite a few following their not great finish last season).

49 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Brilliant news sighing Tait there will have been cash to Hibs involved in signing him, so no more signings. Couple of loans and that's it CB & CF. Got a feeling Arfield as a mid season signing to end his career where it all started

Just stop, please, no more.

13 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Don’t think we should be going crazy with budgets but equally I do think it’s worth trying to finish as high up the table as possible from a financial perspective.

No sh*t Sherlock, and well done on covering all your bases with that statement.