The Falkirk FC Thread

I'm glad Morrison signed that contract extension, but I can't help but feel we'll have a fight on our hands to keep him this summer, as he'll surely be attracting a lot of attention due to his red-hot form of late. The good thing is that the contract extension puts the ball firmly in our court. Would love him to stay (obviously) but what would be a realistic figure the club would entertain? £1M?

On the subject of legends - I think that, were he to stay until Falkirk are back in the premiership, there would be absolutely no denying his legend status. 

I'm probably missing some obvious one but from the top of my head I'd have: 

Legends: 
Crunchie
Stainrod
Latapy
Yogi
Vaulks

Cult heroes: 
Moutinho
Houston
Baptie
Farid
Mallo
Parks
Burgess

Local Heroes: 
Arfield
Sibbald

Honerable mentions: 
McGovern, Riera, Taylor, Morrison, Cadette, Samuel, Gow, Stokes, James, Gray, Fulton, Weir, Keith, Marshall, McLaughlin, McQueen, McKenzie

36 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Legends: 
Crunchie
Stainrod
Latapy
Yogi
Vaulks

Cult heroes: 
Moutinho
Houston
Baptie
Farid
Mallo
Parks
Burgess

Local Heroes: 
Arfield
Sibbald

Honerable mentions: 
McGovern, Riera, Taylor, Morrison, Cadette, Samuel, Gow, Stokes, James, Gray, Fulton, Weir, Keith, Marshall, McLaughlin, McQueen, McKenzie

Great post -  for me some notables missing a certain super SAM ?

Edited by Springfield

9 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Great post -  for me some notables missing a certain super SAM ?

Eddie May gets overlooked a lot for me. In the that 90’-95 period he was the one constant, regular player for us. Neil Duffy is just behind Eddie in this department.

I think in Falkirk terms, Crunchie, Stainrod and Latapy are God-like figures. 

The rest are legends/cult hero’s.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

59 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Legends: 
Crunchie
Stainrod
Latapy
Yogi
Vaulks

Cult heroes: 
Moutinho
Houston
Baptie
Farid
Mallo
Parks
Burgess

Local Heroes: 
Arfield
Sibbald

Honerable mentions: 

Vaulks not a legend but Houston certainly is and Cadette too

It's fairly obvious from the chat that legend status is directly tied with age and the period folk enjoyed the football most.

Old guys don't seem to want to have 'new' legends and maybe the sheen is taken off it because it's not them and all their mates going to the football and then the pub every weekend like they used to.

Most of the names getting banded around on here will be meaningless to the young team, if you're under 30 guys like stainrod and crunchie are just guys your dad talks about.

Like it or not, this team will be the young teams legends as it will be the best season of football they have watched and if the team manages to go unbeaten they will blow any other team out of the water in terms of legend status. 

At least for interested young guys there is ample footage on Youtube to see Stainrod, McAllister or whoever doing their stuff.

For myself, I have never seen one second of footage of George Gibson, John Markie, Alex Ferguson, Angus Plumb, Kenny Dawson, Alex Stark or any one of 3,000 other players between 1876 and 1986. My first game was in 1983 so I have to respectfully accept the verdict of older supporters. I bet there were old boys in the 80's and 90's who said that Crunchie was no' bad but not fit to lace the boots of Patsy Gallacher. So it goes.

23 hours ago, Albert Beale said:

Not playing down what has been achieved but how do we know other teams budgets from this season? Is there a group chat or something?

The respective club boards have had conversations with the guys on our BOD, this was discussed at the AGM

Edited by LatapyBairn.

7 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

At least for interested young guys there is ample footage on Youtube to see Stainrod, McAllister or whoever doing their stuff.

For myself, I have never seen one second of footage of George Gibson, John Markie, Alex Ferguson, Angus Plumb, Kenny Dawson, Alex Stark or any one of 3,000 other players between 1876 and 1986. My first game was in 1983 so I have to respectfully accept the verdict of older supporters. I bet there were old boys in the 80's and 90's who said that Crunchie was no' bad but not fit to lace the boots of Patsy Gallacher. So it goes.

I do actually recall this very scenario at the Player of the Millennium when I worked at the Inchyra Hotel in 2000. It wasn’t Patsy Gallacher mentioned but this older guy reeled off a few names to me that were better than McAllister, who, of course, won the award. 

I think older fans can say with some authority that Crunchie is better than Calumn but it still blows my mind that someone said that to me.

2 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

I don't think you can be a legend and still be playing for us. I'm nearing 30 years old and only really started liking football when I was around 10. In my time there's been only 1 legend and that's Latapy.

Like others have said, it's an age thing, guys like Sibbs, Farid, Vaulks, Stokes, Arfield, Enoch Showumni all have a special place for me but it would be hard to call them legends. Might change though because some of these guys are still playing and could return 👀.

Morrison is in that bracket of iconic players for me, he's not a legend yet, but by the time his next contracts up, he very well could be. 

Haha brilliant use of the showumni defence strategy 

When it comes to Legends, Cult hero's designations in Falkirk's history nobody's right, nobody's wrong.

If you select somebody in whatever category from whatever era for whatever reason if you think they are, they are.

The people that saw the 1912-13 cup winning team or a young John White will have had the same discussions and every era and decade since.

3 players who's mere presence in the team had the opposition going on the pitch looking already beaten by their presence McAllister, Stainrod, Latapy I think would be on everybody's list and rightly so, a rare breed that when they got the ball there was a collective intake of breath in anticipation of what they would do. 

It’s only right that the young fans have their heroes; just like they did last time they won the Third Division, in 1980. For today’s Morrison, Miller, MacIver & Lang, fans then had Leetion, Perry, McRoberts & Brown.

10 minutes ago, One off poster said:

There are 6 games left for the whole team, including the management team, to become legends.

This.

If this team does go the season unbeaten in the league then they will have earned the right to be called legends.

I'm not trying to punch down and I suppose it is getting you out of the lowest situation you've ever been in, but Falkirk winning League One, shouldn't be getting the players and management heralded as 'legends' just because your previous attempts have been utterly woeful. Only Hamilton have even posed a slight challenge out of the FT teams and a lot of their fans think their manager is incompetent.

Come on lads, great season for you, great to see the back of this league but a club the size of Falkirk should not be deeming people legends for getting you out of League One regardless of going unbeaten or not!

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm not trying to punch down and I suppose it is getting you out of the lowest situation you've ever been in, but Falkirk winning League One, shouldn't be getting the players and management heralded as 'legends' just because your previous attempts have been utterly woeful. Only Hamilton have even posed a slight challenge out of the FT teams and a lot of their fans think their manager is incompetent.

Come on lads, great season for you, great to see the back of this league but a club the size of Falkirk should not be deeming people legends for getting you out of League One regardless of going unbeaten or not!

Whilst I don't agree with your viewpoint, it's always interesting to get an outside perspective.

It's not just about us finally having a team capable of competing. For me, it's the entire club, from top to bottom, is heading in the right direction. Falkirk are a club in the ascendancy and there's a real air of optimism that next season will also go well, and everyone, from the BoD, to the management team, to the players and, of course, the fans, deserve enormous credit. The young boys and girls that follow this team will view the current players are legends, whether rightly or wrongly, and who are we to tell them what to think?

PS - How is it Dens Park has a pitch THAT BAD yet all anyone wants to talk about is how terrible plastic pitches are?

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

This is why it’s such a tricky one. It’s all dependant on individual interpretations. I disagree with others in that I think the level you’re at does have to be a factor. It’s why at the start of this conversation I said Morrison is on his way to potentially becoming a legend, but he’s not there yet. Length of time at the club does come into it for me, outwith achievements such as winning a Scottish Cup which would make someone a legend in my eyes. It would be dependant on him doing it for us at a higher level for him to enter that conversation. Going unbeaten in League One would be an incredible achievement no doubt, it would be an season that would live long in the memory, but labelling some players who were good enough to get us out of League One but (potentially, who knows) might not cut it for us long-term, even in the Championship, as ‘ legends’ feels a bit strong for me.