The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Ross is out of contract at Raith and as yet they haven’t offered him an extension. 

In that case I’d fully expect us to have an offer on the table for Ethan to take up. He’s a young lad and I’d hope he’s enjoyed his time with us enough to stay a while longer. The number of players extending early has been staggering and can’t recall this high level take up, if ever. We, as a club, are clearly doing something right! Sign it Ethan.

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Was hearing that Montrose banked £40k from our visit and it was very much appreciated 

Without meaning to sound all Old-Firmy about it, out of all the teams in the league that our title-winning game could have fell on for that money to go, I'm glad it was Montrose tbh. Good bunch of guys and a proper football club. Much rather them who got the financial boost than pub teams like Kelty or Highland League bankrolled artificials like Cove.

1 hour ago, GunnerBairn said:

Here’s a scenario where the wages were diverted from Yeats (likely leaving), McGinn, Lawal, Allan, Bisland and Sam Long. Then to be ‘reinvested’ in to keeping Tait and Ross. Shuffle the pennies around as well as the players. Worth a try. 

Would not write off Finn Yeats signing a contract,

It is a temping pitch Falkirk can make.

Breakthrough season

Team on the up

In the shop window in a higher league

2 seasons of first team football

Certainty in your career

Sky's the limit with another season's experience with Falkirk with higher level souters at the end off it.

14 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Breakthrough season

Team on the up

Certainty in your career

Sky's the limit with another season's experience with Falkirk with higher level souters at the end off it.

All correct and a great pitch. I’m wearing my ‘empathy hat’ just now. We‘ve signed Keelan Adams for RB and I can’t see Finn breaking in to our midfield as that’s very strong. I’d wager these factors have been playing on the lad’s mind.

13 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Breakthrough season

Team on the up

Certainty in your career

If the post regarding Notts being after him is true he’ll be away. Reality will be he’s probably going to be on minimum 4/5/6 times what he’s on at present. 

43 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Someone mentioned before that Ross was one of Raiths highest earners so it might be a hefty wage for someone who won't start as 1st choice.  I'd like to keep him though if a deal can be done. 

I agree- happy to keep him as a squad player but his end product doesn’t justify a huge wage offer for me. Especially when we already have a lot of good options in that position.

59 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Without meaning to sound all Old-Firmy about it, out of all the teams in the league that our title-winning game could have fell on for that money to go, I'm glad it was Montrose tbh. Good bunch of guys and a proper football club. Much rather them who got the financial boost than pub teams like Kelty or Highland League bankrolled artificials like Cove.

Their CEO was in the pie hut in our end serving pies. 

I’m going to be in the minority here but I’m still not convinced that we should be offering Mackie a new deal. 

He’s played very well recently, however, my biggest criticism of him as he can be a complete liability at times and I’d argue that even in these recent games he’s done things that show he still carries that trait. My concern is he’ll get away with these just now but he may not against better opposition. 

I’m not opposed to him being signed on, however, I won’t cry if he leaves at the end of the season 

Just now, Rocco said:

I’m going to be in the minority here but I’m still not convinced that we should be offering Mackie a new deal. 

He’s played very well recently, however, my biggest criticism of him as he can be a complete liability at times and I’d argue that even in these recent games he’s done things that show he still carries that trait. My concern is he’ll get away with these just now but he may not against better opposition. 

I’m not opposed to him being signed on, however, I won’t cry if he leaves at the end of the season 

He also absolutely loves an injury, pretty sure he was the same at Raith before he came to us. 

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

McGlynn mentioned on the Falkirk FC podcast that they are still trying to work out deals for 2 or 3 of the current squad, I'd imagine that's Yeats, Tait and Ross. 

Shanley was quoted as having the option of an extra year when we signed him so that'll most likely be taken up. 

He also mentioned bringing a loan keeper in again next season to challenge Nicky for the number 1 as that'll help the budget so we may not be getting our experienced keeper. 

I think the option on Shanley will be with the club. Personally I’m not sure he’s shown enough to justify a deal. I would put the money towards a striker who can challenge Maciver.

10 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I agree, the push for Mackie is rose tinted based on games where he's come in and done well but I'm not convinced he's upper championship quality.   For the championship I'd like to have seen us try to improve on Oliver and I think the same about Mackie.  

Having said that, we do need some players who are happy to be 2nd choice.  

16 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Difficult one- Mackie has done well in the last few matches and his versatility is a bonus.

However, I do think we need to leave space in the squad to bring in some additional quality. We won’t have much if any room to  do that if Mackie is retained along with Yeats, Shanley, Tait and Ross.

I don't see all the players mentioned staying tbh. I'd love to see Yeats, Ross and Tait stay but I think one possibly two out the three won't. Yeats I think is waiting to see if he gets a better offer, Ross might not want to play second fiddle and on a decent wage at Raith. Tait will be on decent money at Hibs and has a year left. Are Shanley and Mackie good enough for the championship? Not so sure but they'd probably be the easiest to retain, then you've got the conundrum of what to do with Jordan Allan. Still think we need an experienced keeper. As much as I'm happy to see Spencer sign an extension he still had a year left and the years wage he just signed could have went to someone else, but McGlynn will probably know what kind of budget he's playing with for next season. 

21 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I think the option on Shanley will be with the club. Personally I’m not sure he’s shown enough to justify a deal. I would put the money towards a striker who can challenge Maciver.

In fairness there have been times this season that if MacIver got injured we would be dangerously light up front. I think we need to have three strikers, right now MacIver, Allan, and a challenger for MacIver, but if Allan leaves we definitely will need someone else in.

10 minutes ago, Would you believe it said:

In fairness there have been times this season that if MacIver got injured we would be dangerously light up front. I think we need to have three strikers, right now MacIver, Allan, and a challenger for MacIver, but if Allan leaves we definitely will need someone else in.

Would prefer Shanley over Allan if Shanley is happy to stay as 3rd choice

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Again I doubt he'll be on much money having came from part time at Edinburgh so I reckon he'll be here next season. Allan will have a host of options in the summer given his form which should allow us to sign another option to fight with Shanley & MacIver for the starting position in the team.

He's only had 341 minutes on the park with us and he's managed 2 goals + 2 assists.