The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

If there's anyone that can work a bit of magic in the loan market it's John McGlynn. I'm sure the loans won't be considered 'extra' to the squad size though

Hopefully strong ST sales allow us to push the boat out and run with a squad of 21, especially as I think it is fair most would see

Harry Stone
Dyan Tait
Ethan Ross or an other
New Striker

Plus Jordan Allan leaving which = 21 total

That looks to be the case, might have to wait on Allan leaving before we can bring in a striker. We have MacIver & Shanley already so that's not a massive issue, I'd just like to see an extra bit of quality up there.

43 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I'm not so sure, McGlynn's mentioned before he only has a matchday squad of 20 and the whole quality over quantity so I'd imagine the loans are included in that number.

Might well depend on how well McGlynn works the loans but Tait won't be cheap so there won't be much budget to work with.

Agreed. Think also extending some of last season’s squad players (Oliver, Shanley and Mackie) and getting Adams on a PCA will have taken up most of the bandwidth that would’ve gone to new signings.

38 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

If there's anyone that can work a bit of magic in the loan market it's John McGlynn. I'm sure the loans won't be considered 'extra' to the squad size though

Hopefully strong ST sales allow us to push the boat out and run with a squad of 21, especially as I think it is fair most would see

Harry Stone
Dylan Tait
Ethan Ross or an other
New Striker

Plus Jordan Allan leaving which = 21 total

200 extra STs would be roughly £40,000 or enough for that extra player. Really could make all the difference 

I’d be very surprised to see another striker. We have MacIver and Shanley, and are strong in that dept with Morrison etc.  Agree with the other points though and if there was wiggle room, more cover at the back, given what happened at the end of last season and also to Dunfermline. 

29 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Agreed. Think also extending some of last season’s squad players (Oliver, Shanley and Mackie) and getting Adams on a PCA will have taken up most of the bandwidth that would’ve gone to new signings.

Mackie & Shanley at least provide a 2nd option in their respective positions but Oliver re-signing when we knew Mckenna was coming I can't get my head around. 

With versatility key since we'll be running a small squad I wonder if a centre half that can also cover right back, with Yeats becoming the extra midfielder, or a centre half who can step into midfield might be what we see. 

I'd love Tait back but he is only a central midfielder and possibly not first choice ahead of Spencer and Henderson so Mcglynn might prioritise flexibility.  

Having a small squad does make it harder (and more fun) to guess who we might sign. Part of me is thinking there will be a rabbit pulled out the hat that no-one except McGlynn saw coming. 

Posted (edited)

I do think a new striker will be lowest on McGlynn's list of priorities. MacIver may well do really well next season anyway, 14 goals from 32 starts this term is a decent return. When I look through the best strikers and their goals at other clubs in the Championship who are still in the division, there's clearly not a huge number of options or stand-out players

Brian Graham 20
Ruari Paton 17
Lewis Vaughan 15
Anton Dowds 13
Robbie Muirhead 12
George Oakley 9
Jack Hamilton 7
Nikolay Todorov 6
Chris Kane 5*
Zak Rudden 3*

* limited appearances. Also worth noting Brian Graham will be 37 this year

I do think we will be more similar to last season with the goals being shared fairly equally across the front 4, rather than your Farid/ Taylor/ McManus type who gets them all.

I suppose the main thing that is maybe being counted against MacIver is he hasn't has a proper run of games at this level before, unlike the likes of Lang, Donaldson, Spencer, Nesbitt, Miller etc (and it's fairly obvious Morrison is going to piss it). Hopefully he can keep improving and turn himself into a really good Championship striker, I don't think he's far away at the moment

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, One off poster said:

With versatility key since we'll be running a small squad I wonder if a centre half that can also cover right back, with Yeats becoming the extra midfielder, or a centre half who can step into midfield might be what we see. 

I'd love Tait back but he is only a central midfielder and possibly not first choice ahead of Spencer and Henderson so Mcglynn might prioritise flexibility.  

Having a small squad does make it harder (and more fun) to guess who we might sign. Part of me is thinking there will be a rabbit pulled out the hat that no-one except McGlynn saw coming. 

If we can somehow get Tait signed he’s exactly the type of player we need to compete at championship level. No disrespect but the players at the level we will be facing are up on what we’ve left

Edited by Springfield

For reference on 26th June last year (just before the early bird deadline 1st July) we had sold 1,800 season tickets. 

To be 1,700 up on that number is brilliant.

Given we sold another 900 STs between then and the start of the season I don't see why we can't hit at least the 4,000 mark this time around

Posted (edited)

To put any proper thought into the pitch debate the premier clubs need to feel some sort of consequence. 

E.g if the vote was to enforce grass on the understanding that any club winning the championship would be funded to replace their surface by the top league (reduced prize pot for the top 12 under those circumstances).  That would get them thinking about how much they really rate grass over astro and would also be much fairer on the community clubs who are being financially penalised for their latest whim.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Springfield said:

If we can somehow get Tait signed he’s exactly the type of player we need to compete at championship level. No disrespect but the players at the level we will be facing are up on what we’ve left

Totally agree we'll be facing a level up on what we've left but, that's also in physicality so I don't see more than a handful of games where a midfield pairing won't include 1 person that isn't a Henderson type starting.  I also can't see anyone displacing Spencer because he's an absolute gem of a footballer. 

I would love Tait back as I said but with the squad size and budget we're apparently going with, I'm just musing about what might be alternatives.  Ideally I'd like Tait and another centre half but, is that realistic? 

Edit to add: Hopefully with season tickets sales being so good it could become realistic. 

Edited by One off poster

I think there will be a bit more budget than predicated, with really good ST sales and however many managers budget uplifts. 

We will still be a bit behind the 8 ball because of much better prize money for all the championship clubs that they have just gotten but it should be enough for us to be competitive.