The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, GunnerBairn said:

The recruitment has been solid enough and given the invincible season, almost sentimental, to keep most lads together. With the further additions we can expect to be comfortably midtable IMO. With our years of misery in League 1, it’s not a bad place to be with our current squad. We can build and move forward, even if it takes another season to get up. 

I think this is fair enough and you're not wrong.  I don't think we're in trouble this year (unless we get off to a particularly bad start).

I also don't think recruitment has been bad, very happy with Tait & Ross especially.  

I know nobody wants to think this way but we also have to be realistic and some of our guys aren't going to be as effective after the step up (arguably none of them will be as effective given the high standards set last season).  In attack we're covered on the wings with good options, in the 10 and in the centre of midfield but I worry about our defence.  I think we'll leak goals against higher quality opposition.  Maybe not so much if Donaldson and Lang play but each of the current cover options are L1 at best imo.  The likes of Mackie are ok when we're dominating games but we've seen already how they can struggle when under pressure (as can Donaldson and Lang btw but not to the same extent).  I'm 100% here for Adams becoming he new Baresi.  Big season for Hogarth too and we need a fit and on form McCann on the left.   

I also still think we'll see some loans so all not settled yet!  

2 hours ago, Super Simon said:

Whilst releasing some of those players on the back of last season would not have been an easy call, these are the kind of hard, unsentimental decisions that a manager is (well) remunerated to make. Especially given that we (a) are moving up a level and (b) have a comparatively  limited budget with which to strengthen the squad. The retention of Oliver, in light of McKenna being signed, just feels like overkill. Shanley was signed on a 6-month deal with a year's option, so it may well be that say he reached a pre-agreed appearance threshold to trigger that option but there was precious little on show from him to suggest he is capable of making any sort of impact at Championship level. Hopefully a full preseason will have elicited some improvement, time will tell.

That we're perhaps now having to rely on a Clyde to take Allan to possibly afford us the opportunity to bring in one player is a pretty brutal situation to be in. Extremely underwhelming transfer window to date.

seriously dude the trolling is painful 

2 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Yeah, all we did was secure the majority of the Invincibles team, including a couple of ex-loanees who the fans were desperate to see back. Plus recruit a Championship top scorer from the last few years and recruit a youth player who's been the biggest standout of preseason. 

The definition of underwhelming. 

Super not but Simple yes…..a Pars fan in veiled attempt to disguise his own alter ego

23 minutes ago, AJ1981 said:

seriously dude the trolling is painful 

What is your precise definition of trolling please?

Offering an opinion or point of view that is not in complete alignment with your own?

One that dares to deviate from the party line?

Come on, even you can come up with an insult just little bit more original than that if you really put your mind to it.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Same thoughts, with last seasons home gates very healthy, merchandise off the scale, huge increase in ST sales, FSS subscriptions up, sell outs or close to with our fife neighbours and decent away supports ,thought there would be a bit of budget stretch. Guessing getting Morrison &Tait signed up and the overall increased costs for Championship wages has left the biscuit tin empty. 

Exactly - saying that if we had had to spend the budget on anyone I am very happy it's the team we have. Morrison, Tait, Donaldson, Ross all absolutely worth it imo.

I lose track, is Super Simon the one that posted a horrendous take on the Raith thread on about how McGlynns first season was somehow a better indication of the type of manager he is than last?

Awful. 

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

Same thoughts, with last seasons home gates very healthy, merchandise off the scale, huge increase in ST sales, FSS subscriptions up, sell outs or close to with our fife neighbours and decent away supports ,thought there would be a bit of budget stretch. Guessing getting Morrison &Tait signed up and the overall increased costs for Championship wages has left the biscuit tin empty. 

For me we have the basis of a good championship squad and have done well to retain Ross and in particular, Tait. 

The one question mark I would have is that even the best teams need to be looking to improve their squad year on year, which I’m not sure we’ve really done. I don’t think anyone was advocating huge changes to the team, but I do think 2 or 3 pieces of quality could have added a lot.

Unless we see more new faces, the starting 11 will be exactly the same as last season and while I don’t think the three new faces are bad signings, I don’t see any being regular starters. 

I’m not sure it’s trolling as some have said to suggest that some additional quality will be required to compete at a higher level (which we will be facing over a 36 game season).

Edited by PedroMoutinho

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

There was a post a few pages back, which insinuated that Allan will be away to Clyde. 

is this just an unsubstantiated rumour?

I brought it up as they had mentioned it on their thread, and he had changed his profile picture on some social media or other to a picture of him in his Clyde togs.

Obviously they then went and signed Connolly, but they do not play in the same position so it might still be a goer.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

53 minutes ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

Mcglynn has been a revelation for us..he arguably hasn't put a foot wrong in 2 years...he will know we can't start this season without centre Halfs..he will deal with it

Re writing history a wee bit.

The Airdrie playoff debacle will always be a black mark that said more than made up for it last season.

5 hours ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

Mcglynn has been a revelation for us..he arguably hasn't put a foot wrong in 2 years...he will know we can't start this season without centre Halfs..he will deal with it

Not if there isn’t any money to bring someone in and players are still injured.

8 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

For me we have the basis of a good championship squad and have done well to retain Ross and in particular, Tait. 

The one question mark I would have is that even the best teams need to be looking to improve their squad year on year, which I’m not sure we’ve really done. I don’t think anyone was advocating huge changes to the team, but I do think 2 or 3 pieces of quality could have added a lot.

Unless we see more new faces, the starting 11 will be exactly the same as last season and while I don’t think the three new faces are bad signings, I don’t see any being regular starters. 

I’m not sure it’s trolling as some have said to suggest that some additional quality will be required to compete at a higher level (which we will be facing over a 36 game season).

And do you not think we would be doing that if we maybe had something called money?

16 minutes ago, SuperTuesday said:

And do you not think we would be doing that if we maybe had something called money?

With respect I do think the club should be looking to back the manager in a responsible way. We are in a fortunate position where we don’t need lots of additions but a few quality players could make a huge impact to what we already have.

There is a big difference in championship prize money between 4th and 8th. There is also much more chance of the 3800+ ST holders returning next year if we have a decent season.

17 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

With respect I do think the club should be looking to back the manager in a responsible way. We are in a fortunate position where we don’t need lots of additions but a few quality players could make a huge impact to what we already have.

There is a big difference in championship prize money between 4th and 8th. There is also much more chance of the 3800+ ST holders returning next year if we have a decent season.

Where does the money come from, if it’s already spent?

7 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Where does the money come from, if it’s already spent?

Think it is a bit more complex than the money already being spent or not. I doubt there was a pot of money sitting in the bank that is now empty. The club will set a budget based on a variety of factors, including ST sales and predicted league finish.

Clearly the ultra-safe option would be to budget for 8th and bank any extra prize money. The ultra-risky option would be to budget for 1st and promotion.

For me, we should be looking at a sensible middle ground based on the increased ST sales and FSS subscriptions and desire to keep our positive momentum going.

Edited by PedroMoutinho