The Falkirk FC Thread

Ageism comes into this for me. We're talking about a guy who has learned a lot from Brendan Rodgers and from scouting the worlds best teams and has then applied that to taking a team to an unbeaten season and straight to the top of the league above. If he was in his 40's he'd be the Scottish Kieran McKenna.

St Johnstone absolutely should be looking at him but I suspect their new owner will want to appear more "visionary" and someone in his 60's won't appeal to their fans. 

Their bias will be to our benefit I think.

To anyone worrying about McGlynn leaving for Perth. Ask yourself this - which league will St Johnstone be playing in next season, and which league will Falkirk be playing in next season? John's a smart man, no chance is he touching that job. If Hearts sack Naismith then that's a different story however.

3 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

To anyone worrying about McGlynn leaving for Perth. Ask yourself this - which league will St Johnstone be playing in next season, and which league will Falkirk be playing in next season? John's a smart man, no chance is he touching that job. If Hearts sack Naismith then that's a different story however.

Having had his jotters from Hearts before, he may not be a popular choice among Hearts fans? Hope not anyway.

Hearts are infinitely more likely to try and cast the net a bit wider in search of a bigger/more fashionable name than the fermers. Their fans would see McGlynn as a cheap and lazy option IMO. I think you could argue that Hearts should be aiming higher anyway, despite the job hes doing for us.  

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Now this I don't get? Nobody has mentioned McGlynn's wages, and how are they tied to attendances?

1 hour ago, Disco Duck said:

He means fans, not £

Aye I thought the "hundreds" was in terms of compensation being 6 figures.

46 minutes ago, MSG GTF! said:

Fixed it for you.

Affording him and getting him are two completely different things. There’s not a chance McGlynn is interested in St.Johnstone.

I'd be happy with that tbh. I know he's done well with you but he's approaching the final few years of his career and hes done nothing to suggest he's any good at relegation battles with a squad he's not built, never mind managing in the top flight.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd be happy with that tbh. I know he's done well with you but he's approaching the final few years of his career and hes done nothing to suggest he's any good at relegation battles with a squad he's not built, never mind managing in the top flight.

McGlynn has completely transformed himself as a manager with his style of play and tactics, particularly from anything in his early managerial career (i.e. Livi and Hearts). 

Probably why he has never been involved in a relegation battle since.

Easily the best football I have seen us play, I would argue even better than anything under Hughes in the premiership and we were good then.

I think with that he does need time to build a squad suited to it so maybe going into a premiership team struggling mid-season may not be entirely for him but I would be pretty confident he could get a tune out of you enough to push you out of trouble.

....... other than that, he is shite, stay well clear!

Edited by MulsonFFC

6 minutes ago, MulsonFFC said:

McGlynn has completely transformed himself as a manager with his style of play and tactics, particularly from anything in his early managerial career (i.e. Livi and Hearts). 

Probably why he has never been involved in a relegation battle since.

Easily the best football I have seen us play, I would argue even better than anything under Hughes in the premiership and we were good then.

I think with that he does need time to build a squad suited to it so maybe going into a premiership team struggling mid-season may not be entirely for him but I would be pretty confident he could get a tune out of you enough to push you out of trouble.

....... other than that, he is shite, stay well clear!

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11_33.38_AM.jpg.26648d937306150bcc49c91646b4744c.jpg

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tommy Wright and Rhys McCabe will be favourites. McCabe was apparently the choice if Levein had chucked it in the Summer. Someone on our thread hinting at Jim Magilton too.

It's hard to know what'll happen with new owners though, but I'm certain it won't be McGlynn.

Will be interesting to see if McCabe is still in the picture for these jobs given how poor Airdrie look this season.

He certainly was the darling a few months ago but the questions now will be if it was just the right squad for him rather than him delivering a coaching masterclass. 

19 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

Will be interesting to see if McCabe is still in the picture for these jobs given how poor Airdrie look this season.

He certainly was the darling a few months ago but the questions now will be if it was just the right squad for him rather than him delivering a coaching masterclass. 

I wanted McCabe until I realised he was actually hired by the agency he signs all his players from. 

That seems like it could be a disaster.

3 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Strange reply to someone engaging in a normal conversation with you

Yeah it was clear from the start it was just a puff piece to w**k over McGlynn. Fair enough as he's doing great for you, but I don't really care.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah it was clear from the start it was just a puff piece to w**k over McGlynn. Fair enough as he's doing great for you, but I don't really care.

Internet forums aren't for you mate.

Nothing 'puff piece' about it, fair enough if you have a different opinion but factually my reply is accurate and I thrown in my opinion that he would improve you and you might like the football played under him.

Good debate though 🤷‍♂️

48 minutes ago, MulsonFFC said:

Very good.... given the time you have invested in this thread already probably a good time to give up and f**k off then.

Like most opposition fans who crawl over to our forum, they’re best ignored.

13 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Both were young managers at the time and had ambitions. Jeffries was a Hearts man and found the lure of managing them too much. McCall would have wanted to test himself at a bigger club. McGlynn is, what, 62? He wants to manage in the Premier but I think he'd like to do that with us and may see that as the pinnacle of his career before retirement?

Money, of course, is a big incentive and Jeffries would have been on much more with Hearts than he was with us and McCall was paid silly money to go to Dundee Utd. However, St Johnstone would have to pay us a substantial fee and offer McGlynn much more than we're paying him for him to even consider it. I'm not sure that Saints are now in a financial position to do that? That plus he'd be starting again to an extent with a new bunch of players.

It could happen of course, hopefully it won't though!

No manager with ANY ambition would go to St Johnstone.

I think any manager in a job will look at the squad and resources and think can i keep them up, how long will it take to build a side the way i want to play, will i be able to bring players in in January and is this a big job (no sense in saying its a 2 yr job to fix if your going to be sacked in 6 months).  If the answer to any of those questions is NO then no manager in a job would take the hit on risking a good position in the league for more money and a relegation battle with their managerial record being tarnished for any future bigger jobs. I dont think McGlynn would risk it, what i seen on hearts forum they dont want McGlynn and see that as a lazy appointment and i cant see see him doing a Jeffries on us as have they not punted him twice before when he was in the caretaker role ?

Expect someone that's currently unemployed on the managerial merry go round, but probably not from Scottish football.

Echo whats been said, we are playing some of the best stuff since the Jeffries/McCall/Yogi years theres a feel good about the club why would he want to go to a possible 6 month gig with a sacking.

Edited by AL-FFC

17 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

Looks like the O’Neills interview has landed well which is great. Paul is a brilliant guy and worth a listen if you haven’t already. 

We chatted about: 

🤝🏼 Partnership with @FalkirkFC & @GreavesSports 
👕 Kit designs chat
⚔️ Next heritage kit? 
👴🏼 Retro Kits, which one is next?
📈 Who sells more kit…Falkirk, Thistle or Ayr?
& much, much more…

🎙️EP:97 BRING ON THE CELTIC!

IMG_1975.thumb.jpeg.0ef60e9d6adbfdd3e2ad4fe1f5da16d1.jpeg

Really enjoyed episode.  On the back of the guys interview what retro kits would fans like to see brought back?

16 minutes ago, MulsonFFC said:

Internet forums aren't for you mate.

Nothing 'puff piece' about it, fair enough if you have a different opinion but factually my reply is accurate and I thrown in my opinion that he would improve you and you might like the football played under him.

Good debate though 🤷‍♂️

It's easy to make a good side when you're comfortably the best team in a division and can carry that momentum into a new season.

He'd be joining a club who are comfortably the worst in a division, with no momentum.

It would be a disastrous move for all involved IMO.