The Falkirk FC Thread

27 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Think Ross came up with the idea on FD, I’d like to see a home women’s game on the main pitch at the stadium and market it to f**k.

£5 tickets or something, have the men’s players there for signings etc. Family friendly and may make a few quid. From what I’ve heard they currently play in front of 2 (wo)men and a dug. 

If say 100 people stay to watch their next game, it’d be worthwhile. 

That’s because only 2 (wo)men and a dug are interested. People need to stop forcing this politically correct nonsense on the vast majority of us who couldn’t care less about women’s football. It’s a personal choice. 

This really isn’t difficult. All those who want to support the women’s team are free to do so. Go and watch their games and support them financially until your hearts are content. But don’t try and enforce it on the rest of us.

6 minutes ago, MSG GTF! said:

That’s because only 2 (wo)men and a dug are interested. People need to stop forcing this politically correct nonsense on the vast majority of us who couldn’t care less about women’s football. It’s a personal choice. 

This really isn’t difficult. All those who want to support the women’s team are free to do so. Go and watch their games and support them financially until your hearts are content. But don’t try and enforce it on the rest of us.

In which case you lose any right to refer to yourself as a community club.  Because you’re only looking after the bit of the community you like.

They’ll be asking for there vote next.

1 hour ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Now. How would we feel about a transgender player. Would they be accepted in the mens or wonens team?

Couldn't give a f**k as long as they are good.

Also I've noticed a few posters using the phrase 'politically correct'. I'd like to point out that the currently acceptable pearl clutching outrage phrase is 'woke'.

Please update your dictionaries accordingly, this isn't 1999. It's not even 2014 for anyone even considering typing 'snowflake'. 

1 hour ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Now. How would we feel about a transgender player. Would they be accepted in the mens or wonens team?

I know at least one trans woman playing in the women's pyramid right now. Players, officials and the tiny number of fans know it. Nobody cares and nobody is going to make a thing about it because they're not a*rseholes. These women aren't bigger, faster or better than the other women at their level and they don't stand out in any way. I fear that at some point someone on Mumsnet or wherever is going to find out and make them the target of online hate but so far all is good.

The kind of people that claim to be against trans women athletes because they're protecting women's sport have never actually been to a women's sports event in their miserable lives, and never say anything about the real problems in women's sport like training, equipment, marketing and good old-fashioned sexism.

12 minutes ago, MSG GTF! said:

Question is, why could you not care less about football when it's played by women, but care a lot when it's played by men? How important is it that the collection of total strangers you decide to fund and cheer on have testicles and not ovaries?

Nobody that's been a Falkirk fan over the past decade gets to say it's about the standard of football.

As for Falkirk Women, I've seen them a couple of times in recent years and I'd class them as a developmental side. I wouldn't expect Falkirk fans to watch them in any numbers. But Celtic and Rangers, with their vast supports, who's youth teams have to play derbies behind closed doors, only drawing a couple of thousand when their women's sides play each other? And even stranger is supporting your country, but only the half with willies. That's what's nonsense here. They're just people playing football.

I’ve no interest in going to watch woman’s football in the same way that I wouldn’t go and watch an U13 laddies game, or go and watch another game involving two senior men’s sides that didnt involve Falkirk FC. It’s nothing to do with gender for me, I’m just not interested. I like football but I’m not one of these folk that would sit in the house and watch all the live games the likes of Sky etc pump out.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

6 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

In which case you lose any right to refer to yourself as a community club.  Because you’re only looking after the bit of the community you like.

I’d never refer to us as that anyway. I’m not from Falkirk so personally, what goes on in the community is of no relevance to me.

Surely every individual is allowed their own point of view. If you don't want to go and watch women's football or invest your money in it then fine same as if you do want to .  It's every person's right to choose . As for the club I've said already perhaps fss could do a poll to see how people feel about money being diverted to the women's team. We live in a democracy at the end of the day so that would be the easiest way to test the water. 

15 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Surely every individual is allowed their own point of view. If you don't want to go and watch women's football or invest your money in it then fine same as if you do want to .  It's every person's right to choose . As for the club I've said already perhaps fss could do a poll to see how people feel about money being diverted to the women's team. We live in a democracy at the end of the day so that would be the easiest way to test the water. 

Exactly this, everyone has a right to their own opinions on what they want to do. I’m a member of FSS, if they ran a poll and the majority wanted to support the women’s team then I wouldn’t stop my contributions and would be happy to go with the majority. 

29 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Question is, why could you not care less about football when it's played by women, but care a lot when it's played by men? How important is it that the collection of total strangers you decide to fund and cheer on have testicles and not ovaries?

Nobody that's been a Falkirk fan over the past decade gets to say it's about the standard of football.

As for Falkirk Women, I've seen them a couple of times in recent years and I'd class them as a developmental side. I wouldn't expect Falkirk fans to watch them in any numbers. But Celtic and Rangers, with their vast supports, who's youth teams have to play derbies behind closed doors, only drawing a couple of thousand when their women's sides play each other? And even stranger is supporting your country, but only the half with willies. That's what's nonsense here. They're just people playing football.

In danger of going a bit far here mate. I personally watch less and less of anyone except Falkirk. The ongoing story of Falkirk FC is a wee indulgence that I have allowed into my life since I was a kid. A hobby, if you will. Being a fan of Falkirk FC doesn't mean I have to indulge everyone that plays football equally. I know lots of Falkirk fans who indulge other football even less than I do and are interested in nothing except us. 

Where the stand has correctly been taken, and must continue to be so, is making sure of equality in terms of participation.  No one should be denied the right to play football because they are a girl. (Other sports are available, the logic remains the same). But you simply have no right to dig folk out for not being interested in it, any more than you have to dig folk out for not backing their local curling team. 

Call out misogyny by all means, but don't be so quick to infer it on everyone that doesn't share you interest. 

43 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Looks to me that you're accusing the guy of being sexist, and I don't think that's what he's doing at all.

He's saying that he's not interested in watching women's football because he doesn't like it, not because the players are women.

Personally, I'm all for women's football and have being trying to get my granddaughter interested in it (she's not) but I feel it's generally a poor watch, even at the top level sometimes. That, I would think, is because I've been brought up watching the men's game, which is on a different level, although I may well have been interested if I was starting to watch football for the first time? Who knows?

55 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

I’m not sure what being a community club has to do with funding a separate team. The club currently doesn’t have an under 14 or an under 12 academy side because we can’t afford it. Does that mean we’re not a community club?

No one has any issue with a women’s team operating under the club banner. The question is about whether our limited funds which are contributed by fans towards the men’s team should be diverted to fund a wholly separate team in a totally different league.

Personally I don’t think they should be, just as I wouldn't support club funds going towards a Falkirk cricket team.

Just now, PedroMoutinho said:

I’m not sure what being a community club has to do with funding a separate team. The club currently doesn’t have an under 14 or an under 12 academy side because we can’t afford it. Does that mean we’re not a community club?

No one has any issue with a women’s team operating under the club banner. The question is about whether our limited funds which are contributed by fans towards the men’s team should be diverted to fund a wholly separate team in a totally different league.

Personally I don’t think they should be, just as I wouldn't support club funds going towards a Falkirk cricket team.

Yep. I'd be happy for us to fund the women's team once we're in a position to do so, but, under our current financial constraints, I feel we need to walk before we start trying to run.

1 hour ago, MSG GTF! said:

You could always not go? What a mess to get yourself in! 

54 minutes ago, GordonS said:

There was a major issue in England when a women was injured by a ball booted by a transgender woman. The English FA were asked to provide protection for women it their leagues

8 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

You could always not go? What a mess to get yourself in! 

You’ve evidently quoted the wrong post here because I’m certainly not getting myself into any mess. And worry not, you couldn’t pay me to go.

I get the argument that it's supply and demand and not everyone will be interested in a Falkirk women's team. Nor need to be.

But it's also a bit of chicken and egg re that product. There's stories from the beginning of the England women's team where they bought their own stripes, paid for travel etc. Now they play in front of 60,000. Because the product is better. 

Similarly Hibs have had 8,000 crowds v Hearts. Charging a fraction of the men's prices, but still. They are further along quality wise than we are but started in the same place (supported by their Foundation funnily enough originally). 

If we professionalism the womens team (no I don't mean paying wages ) the standard will improve to a point where they'll get crowds. Not 6,000 but maybe 300-500 paying 4 quid. It then becomes self sustaining. But only if the product improves which is why this is so circular. 

Those that wouldn't ever pay to watch a woman's game..fine. Don't. 

Growing the women’s game could work hand in hand with helping more women come to our matches and vice versa. Would see it as win-win rather than the men’s team losing out. Noone is talking about spending masses of cash either but just a small amount to help them to grow and become self sufficient.