The Falkirk FC Thread

He wants to start games and is proven at this level. Although it does smack of United resigning themselves to losing out in the playoffs.

Nevertheless it's a great piece of business one way or another. We probably couldn't afford him anyway.

It is a sign that they are gearing up for a title push next season. Like you, I believe they have little chance in going up in the play offs.

I feel we need to throw the kitchen sink at the play offs literally because I feel next year will be tougher with a rejuvenated St Mirren, probably ICT, stronger Dunfermline and Morton, potentially one of the Premier teams coming down looking like Hamilton or Motherwell in the mix too, plus you can imagine QOS or Raith if they survive cant be as bad as this season.

If we don't go up this year, we need to spend, trying to get up via the play offs is not the correct option in my eyes. We have a history of not spending and trying to get their on the cheap. Rangers, Hearts and Hibs have all gone in the last three seasons so no excuses, surely we can compete on spending terms in the Championship next year with the teams mentioned, if we can't...surely we need to make major changes at boardroom level or we will find ourselves lanquishing in this division for a few more years to come.

Nevertheless it's a great piece of business one way or another. We probably couldn't afford him anyway.

If we don't go up this year, we need to spend, trying to get up via the play offs is not the correct option in my eyes. We have a history of not spending and trying to get their on the cheap. Rangers, Hearts and Hibs have all gone in the last three seasons so no excuses, surely we can compete on spending terms in the Championship next year with the teams mentioned, if we can't...surely we need to make major changes at boardroom level or we will find ourselves lanquishing in this division for a few more years to come.

I had not realised that there are lots of potential investors out there willing to throw money away on the basis that we need to invest further?

I would rather we ran the club within our means.

I had not realised that there are lots of potential investors out there willing to throw money away on the basis that we need to invest further?

I would rather we ran the club within our means.

Happy to stay in the Championship then?

Happy to stay in the Championship then?

We have a real chance of getting out of the Championship this season without additional investment. If we go up I agree we need to spend a little more but that should be on a balanced income basis.

The last thing I want is for Falkirk to become another Kilmarnock or Dundee....or even Livi!

12 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

We have a real chance of getting out of the Championship this season without additional investment. If we go up I agree we need to spend a little more but that should be on a balanced income basis.

The last thing I want is for Falkirk to become another Kilmarnock or Dundee....or even Livi!

Kilmarnock have no debt so I dont see why your lumping them in with Dundee and livi.

Kilmarnock have no debt so I dont see why your lumping them in with Dundee and livi.

They found a way out of it but were in debt for many years with rumours of administration.

I just don't want us approaching things with that strategy....that's all.

You know something, I don't think I give a f**k about moral superiority any more. Dundee, Livingston, Sevco, Killie, Motherwell, Dunfermline have all shown that it's ok to shaft creditors and keep going. I want to see an entertaining, talented Falkirk side playing at the highest level possible. 

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

They found a way out of it but were in debt for many years with rumours of administration.

I just don't want us approaching things with that strategy....that's all.

I know what you mean but there comes a time when we're going to have to take a small punt on going up or fans will drift away and our budget will fall away accordingly anyway. Certainly first thing that has to be looked at is the wage structure. We'll always struggle if we have a very low maximum wage which restricts the quality of player we can bring in. I for one would far prefer paying a stephen dobbie/ stephen mcginn quality of player 2k a week than the likes of  kidd/McCracken/Craigen/McHugh on £500 each. 5 or 6 quality players along with a smaller squad supported by the youngsters is what I would be looking at. Okay you may need a bit of luck on the injury front but if your going to compete to actually win the league then thats the way we have to go. If we can stretch the budget out a bit too then great aslong as its not putting the future of the club in jeopardy.

And NewBornBairn Killie haven't shafted any creditors. Their no different to us. They had debt and they paid it all off. I cant understand why their being lumped in with the other cheats. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I know what you mean but there comes a time when we're going to have to take a small punt on going up or fans will drift away and our budget will fall away accordingly anyway. Certainly first thing that has to be looked at is the wage structure. We'll always struggle if we have a very low maximum wage which restricts the quality of player we can bring in. I for one would far prefer paying a stephen dobbie/ stephen mcginn quality of player 2k a week than the likes of  kidd/McCracken/Craigen/McHugh on 500k each. 5 or 6 quality players along with a smaller squad supported by the youngsters is what I would be looking at. Okay you may need a bit of luck on the injury front but if your going to compete to actually win the league then thats the way we have to go. If we can stretch the budget out a bit too then great aslong as its not putting the future of the club in jeopardy.

And NewBornBairn Killie haven't shafted any creditors. Their no different to us. They had debt and they paid it all off. I cant understand why their being lumped in with the other cheats. 

I think my key words were 'balanced' and 'strategy'. I am not convinced that Kilmarnock were doing things based on a balanced budget nor that they had a strategy at the outset for managing the debt. Hence they carried debt for many years.

I presume you mean 50k? For me, at times Craigen has been key to our finishing second this year with a few key crosses and goals. Not sure we should be writing him off.

Last season we all felt that the team was knackered and we lacked depth. I am not sure that's what I would like again although Dobbie is one player I would love to see at Falkirk.

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

I think my key words were 'balanced' and 'strategy'. I am not convinced that Kilmarnock were doing things based on a balanced budget nor that they had a strategy at the outset for managing the debt. Hence they carried debt for many years.

I presume you mean 50k. Fir me, at times Craigen has been key to our finishing second this year with a few key crosses and goals. Not sure we should be writing him off.

Last season we all felt that the team was knackered and we lacked depth. I am not sure that's what I would like again although Dobbie is one player I would love to see at Falkirk.

I think my key words were !

Doh. I meant £500 quid a week. Without breaking the budget I don't see another way of doing it to be honest.  To actually win the championship when competing against sides with a bigger budget its got to be quality before quantity and if you do it right then you don't have to be worried about being knackered in the playoffs as you've already got promotion. Your main gamble is hoping that your quality players don't get injured during the season. I mean god knows where QOS would've ended up if Dobbie had got crocked at some point. Your only other option is hoping that your manager uncovers a couple of gems like Vaulks on the cheap but thats not easy.

Killie haven't shafted any creditors. Their no different to us. They had debt and they paid it all off. I cant understand why their being lumped in with the other cheats. 

Saying that I loathe Killie and their fans!

I dont loathe them. Their a club of similar size to us. Just they happen to have had the indian sign over us since 1957.

Never forgive their supporters the day they relegated us in 2010 goading us from the park etc...we relegated ICT the year earlier, treated them with some dignity and respect but then again, we are Falkirk!

16 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

Never forgive their supporters the day they relegated us in 2010 goading us from the park etc...we relegated ICT the year earlier, treated them with some dignity and respect but then again, we are Falkirk!

I think what made it worse for me was most of the Killie crowd in 2010 never came back until last May.

I don't understand how you can celebrate yer team staying up and not go and see them.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Sorry to jump into your debate but that's just not true. They had £10m of debt, not a hope in Hell of paying it off, and came to an arrangement with Bank of Scotland and Billy Bowie to write it off with the hotel business being hived off and Bowie funding some of it in return for Michael Johnston taking a bit of a back seat. They "paid it off" in the same way that Dundee did at one point, by the bank accepting it was irretrievable and taking a fractions of pence in the pound deal to lose it.

Sorry to jump into your debate but that's just not true. They had £10m of debt, not a hope in Hell of paying it off, and came to an arrangement with Bank of Scotland and Billy Bowie to write it off with the hotel business being hived off and Bowie funding some of it in return for Michael Johnston taking a bit of a back seat. They "paid it off" in the same way that Dundee did at one point, by the bank accepting it was irretrievable and taking a fractions of pence in the pound deal to lose it.

Shower of shysters then, knew it[emoji849]

I think what made it worse for me was most of the Killie crowd in 2010 never came back until last May.
I don't understand how you can celebrate yer team staying up and not go and see them.

Not many of them came back though. There were still huge spaces in their end.

For the reasons described earlier above I also equally hold Killie in contempt.

34 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Including what has to be the ugliest woman I've ever seen in my life running along in front of the stand giving us the finger. I always associate Killie supporters with that hideous creature now.

52 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Crowd in 2010 - 10,662

Crowd in 2016 - 11,013