The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Sam Nicholson has gone to the States to get round the problem for example.

Yeah but I'm not sure he'd be able to sign now as their secondary transfer window goes from 10th of July to 9th of August and as far as I can see you cant sign anyone out with those periods even free agents. Nicholson signed for them Minnesota on the day it opened. If his agent wanted him to take that route he should've had it sorted out by now. Can't help feeling he needs a new agent.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Guys, only one thread on the forum can be in full meltdown mode at any one time, so we're going to need you to back off for at least a day or so. 

That cool?

Delayed effort this season, the wheels came off the bus after our first league cup game last season, steadily improving 

14 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

What's everyone's thoughts on this Bairn4Life scheme. I'm really undecided whether to go to the meeting or not. I applaud those for the initiative but I'm not sure if I want to commit to giving the club more money at the moment.

If the money is ring-fenced purely for signings and allows us to buy/loan a better quality of player to top up the squad, then it's not a bad idea in theory. The issue would be if the club, further down the line, cut the budget knowing that this fans fund would bail them out with a marquee signing.

14 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

If the money is ring-fenced purely for signings and allows us to buy/loan a better quality of player to top up the squad, then it's not a bad idea in theory. The issue would be if the club, further down the line, cut the budget knowing that this fans fund would bail them out with a marquee signing.

I presume it'll have to be houston who chooses the player to sign and that's a big problem for a start.

I think money going direct for a signing is a good thing but like
you I worry that it would make the board think that they don't have to stump up cash as the fans are doing it anyway.

Also like Shadwell says giving further dosh to Houstie also doesn't fill me full of optimism that it would be spent wisely. Probably buy another ageing central midfielder from the central belt.

I will wait and see how I feel next week as to whether I decide to go or not.

17 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I presume it'll have to be houston who chooses the player to sign and that's a big problem for a start.

9 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I think money going direct for a signing is a good thing but like
you I worry that it would make the board think that they don't have to stump up cash as the fans are doing it anyway.

Also like Shadwell says giving further dosh to Houstie also doesn't fill me full of optimism that it would be spent wisely. Probably buy another ageing central midfielder from the central belt.

I will wait and see how I feel next week as to whether I decide to go or not.

Wouldn't the fans group still have the final say on a player as they control the funds? They may not be willing to release the money for a Kidd or a Rankin, but if a Loy was on the table they'd be willing to part with the cash.

If I'm free, I may head along out of curiosity. It's an interesting idea and it seems like those organisers have their hearts in the right place, if nothing else.

Better idea - a fans group buys a couple of studio flats and offers the use of them to the club as an inducement for players from further afield. Bricks and mortar investment that benefits the club but the directors can't piss away 

6 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yeah but I'm not sure he'd be able to sign now as their secondary transfer window goes from 10th of July to 9th of August and as far as I can see you cant sign anyone out with those periods even free agents. Nicholson signed for them Minnesota on the day it opened. If his agent wanted him to take that route he should've had it sorted out by now. Can't help feeling he needs a new agent.

He has the same agent as Vaulks and only moved to him in March. How would you know if he was good bad or indifferent sat behind a keyboard? Unless of course you work as a football agent.

Remember it is the player who decides what he would like to do. Sibbald I believe wishes to sign another season with us.

Edited by Back Post Misses

5 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

even if the funds were ringfenced they might just reduce the original player budget and top it up with this so same result in terms of budget for players. will stick to my season ticket decision on an annual basis

It is a decent idea in theory. I would personally like to see the fans getting shares and a commitment from the club to match the figure the fans raise.

The other check that needs to be made is any business investment I dont believe can be officially ring fenced for any purpose.

For example if a business owed VAT or HMRC and they saw money coming in and going out on players they would be down on the club like a ton of bricks

Edited by Back Post Misses

7 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

He has the same agent as Vaulks and only moved to him in March. How would you know if he was good bad or indifferent sat behind a keyboard? Unless of course you work as a football agent.

Remember it is the player who decides what he would like to do. Sibbald I believe wishes to sign another season with us.

Well his player is currently sitting on his arse earning nothing at the moment but probably still paying him. That would say to me that he hasn't done exactly a great job in sorting his clients future out. I'd like to have thought that Vaulks could also have done better than a team that came bottom of the championship by 19 points but I suppose at least he will be getting paid a few bob as will his agent from the deal.

18 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Wouldn't the fans group still have the final say on a player as they control the funds? They may not be willing to release the money for a Kidd or a Rankin, but if a Loy was on the table they'd be willing to part with the cash.

If I'm free, I may head along out of curiosity. It's an interesting idea and it seems like those organisers have their hearts in the right place, if nothing else.

Decent  idea but in practice could open up a can of worms. I mean if Houston pisses the fans money down the drain on another Fraser Aird or Taylor Morgan then there would be trouble at mill. On the other hand you cant have a fans group telling the manager who he can or cant sign. Will be interesting to see how it works in practice.

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Decent  idea but in practice could open up a can of worms. I mean if Houston pisses the fans money down the drain on another Fraser Aird or Taylor Morgan then there would be trouble at mill. On the other hand you cant have a fans group telling the manager who he can or cant sign. Will be interesting to see how it works in practice.

Doubt we'd ever see a fan's group agreeing on a player. If they do get one signed and he turned out to be crap, the whole thing could get very acrimonious very quickly.

What's everyone's thoughts on this Bairn4Life scheme. I'm really undecided whether to go to the meeting or not. I applaud those for the initiative but I'm not sure if I want to commit to giving the club more money at the moment.

Yet another opportunity for the board to exploit the good nature of our fans.