The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I'm hoping Hartley doesn't consider RB to be a defensive position given his comments. He'll still surely be looking for a RWB given that we've not really got one.

Was there not mention of one of the new signings being able to play all the way down the right side? 

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

ICT won the Scottish cup and played in Europe with a team full of them.

There's a weird attitude in Scotland where a lot of people are wilfully ignorant of the gulf in class. I mean, our premiership is sub Championship level, without a doubt. And our championship is easily at the arse end of the English system. So it's not a case of us guddling way below our level, more a case of idiots who think the league numbers are somehow relatable. 

There's a weird attitude in Scotland where a lot of people are wilfully ignorant of the gulf in class. I mean, our premiership is sub Championship level, without a doubt. And our championship is easily at the arse end of the English system. So it's not a case of us guddling way below our level, more a case of idiots who think the league numbers are somehow relatable. 

Absolutely this. With a population of ten times that of Scotland, and registered league clubs a little over double that of Scotland, League 1 and League 2 in England is awash with players who are way to good for the Scottish Championship.
Circumstances draw a few north of the border, and if you get a half decent one, they are often the best player at whichever club they end up with.

18 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Absolutely this. With a population of ten times that of Scotland, and registered league clubs a little over double that of Scotland, League 1 and League 2 in England is awash with players who are way to good for the Scottish Championship.
Circumstances draw a few north of the border, and if you get a half decent one, they are often the best player at whichever club they end up with.

They always want less money too.

47 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Was there not mention of one of the new signings being able to play all the way down the right side? 

Aye but I think that was Lewis. I was hoping that he would be an out and out striker for us.

Well, we'll have to see where how best position is. I'd be happy enough with a rampaging attacking wing back/inside forward. Does depend who else comes in. We may end up having to play him up top regardless. 

3 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Not to doubt the Don in anyway but I am shitting myself slightly at Muirhead/Kidd/McGee at RB.

One of the best centre backs in the league needs to play in his proper position. McGhee would be absolutely wasted out on the right. 

Here are the players we signed from lower league English clubs during the years that we really went down that road, roughly 2011-2015.  I'm not including players signed from English sides youth programmes just the sort that people call 'jobbers;.

Greg Tansey - Stockport County (League Two) - very important player over two spells with the club.

Billy Mckay - Northampton Town (League One) - became our leading every top flight scorer

Gary Warren - Newport County (Conference) - became club captain and defensive stalwart.  Cup winner.

David Raven - Tranmere Rovers (League two) - first choice right back for years.  Cup winner.

Simon King - Gillingham (League One) - played four or five games then suffered career endinginjury.

Ross Draper - Macclesfield (Conference) - Lynchpin of our team for five seasons.  Cup winner.

Marley Watkins - Hereford (Conference) - Slow start due to injury but one of our biggest attacking threats during this period.  Cup winner.

James Vincent - Kidderminister (Conference) - Underrated, solid player.  Literally cup winner.

Danny Williams - Kendal Town (Conference North) - Solid, disciplined squad player.  Cup winner.

Carl Tremarco - Macclesfield (Conference) - Started off a bit wild but probably our best defender for the last few years.  Cup winner.

Danny Devine - Wrexham (Conference) - Not particularly good, as witnessed thsi season with Partick. Cup winner though.

Jordan Roberts - Aldershot (League two) - Suffered with injuries and didn't play often but always looked a threat when he did.

Owain Fon Williams - Tranmere (League two) - Seems harsh considering he played injured but I think he's a poor keeper.

Dani Lopez - Stevenage (League Two) - Absolutely appalling player.  Scored against Celtic and spat on a St Johnstone youth player.

Alex Fisher - Torquay (League Two) - If he'd been played in 2017 when he was fit we wouldn't have been relegated.  Maybe.

Ryan Williams - Brentford (Championship) - Futsal playing midget.  Didn't do much for us, now plays in Brazil.

Liam Hughes - Cambridge (League Two) - Target man size but played in the number 10 role?  Not good.

I'd say nine of those were stalwart players over several years, a few were good performers and the rest were rubbish or didn't get a chance.  Not a bad hit rate.  If Falkirk do something similar they could hit pay-dirt.  Or they could sign players like Dani Lopez and Liam Hughes and just hit dirt.

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Here are the players we signed from lower league English clubs during the years that we really went down that road, roughly 2011-2015.  I'm not including players signed from English sides youth programmes just the sort that people call 'jobbers;.

Greg Tansey - Stockport County (League Two) - very important player over two spells with the club.

Billy Mckay - Northampton Town (League One) - became our leading every top flight scorer

Gary Warren - Newport County (Conference) - became club captain and defensive stalwart.  Cup winner.

David Raven - Tranmere Rovers (League two) - first choice right back for years.  Cup winner.

Simon King - Gillingham (League One) - played four or five games then suffered career endinginjury.

Ross Draper - Macclesfield (Conference) - Lynchpin of our team for five seasons.  Cup winner.

Marley Watkins - Hereford (Conference) - Slow start due to injury but one of our biggest attacking threats during this period.  Cup winner.

James Vincent - Kidderminister (Conference) - Underrated, solid player.  Literally cup winner.

Danny Williams - Kendal Town (Conference North) - Solid, disciplined squad player.  Cup winner.

Carl Tremarco - Macclesfield (Conference) - Started off a bit wild but probably our best defender for the last few years.  Cup winner.

Danny Devine - Wrexham (Conference) - Not particularly good, as witnessed thsi season with Partick. Cup winner though.

Jordan Roberts - Aldershot (League two) - Suffered with injuries and didn't play often but always looked a threat when he did.

Owain Fon Williams - Tranmere (League two) - Seems harsh considering he played injured but I think he's a poor keeper.

Dani Lopez - Stevenage (League Two) - Absolutely appalling player.  Scored against Celtic and spat on a St Johnstone youth player.

Alex Fisher - Torquay (League Two) - If he'd been played in 2017 when he was fit we wouldn't have been relegated.  Maybe.

Ryan Williams - Brentford (Championship) - Futsal playing midget.  Didn't do much for us, now plays in Brazil.

Liam Hughes - Cambridge (League Two) - Target man size but played in the number 10 role?  Not good.

I'd say nine of those were stalwart players over several years, a few were good performers and the rest were rubbish or didn't get a chance.  Not a bad hit rate.  If Falkirk do something similar they could hit pay-dirt.  Or they could sign players like Dani Lopez and Liam Hughes and just hit dirt.

Our record is t bad in that regard, but it has been spread out too far to be useful. I mean, we've guys like El Alagui who was a French lower league jobber, Lyle Taylor was at Bournemouth when they were in league 2. Luke Leahy was at Rugby Town which is so far down the league structure that is in a sub basement. Will Vaulks had been playing for Workington. Anyone else have any spring to mind? 

McGhee played and scored against us when hearts beat us 4-1 in their championship winning season. I’m pretty sure he played there when Callum Paterson was injured for part of that season.

I’d be quite happy with us playing McGhee at rightback and playing Muirhead at centre half with one of the new boys.

I’d go
Mitchell
McGhee
Muirhead ©
Dallison
Robson

6 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Our record is t bad in that regard, but it has been spread out too far to be useful. I mean, we've guys like El Alagui who was a French lower league jobber, Lyle Taylor was at Bournemouth when they were in league 2. Luke Leahy was at Rugby Town which is so far down the league structure that is in a sub basement. Will Vaulks had been playing for Workington. Anyone else have any spring to mind? 

If you means players from English football who were a success with us then you would have to throw in Higginbotham, maybe Beck, and certainly going further back the likes of Cregg & Stokes. Overall there's probably been more misses than hits but the good ones have been very good, hence why most of us are excited at this new approach.

It helps of course that so far Hartley's recruitment from England has been spot on.