The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Away to newly relegated Partick Thistle early season is giving me memories of this: http://www.skysports.com/football/partick-vs-falkirk/52833

What a day that was. Packed the away end and it was cracking sunshine. Think it was that game that Scally knocked two pies out a boy's hand in a shooting drill in the warm up. Latapy, Duffy and Thomson were rampant. 

That Thistle team :green

I'm surprised we scored.

PT had a Spanish lad who had scored a good few in the early part of the season. I remember being concerned before kick off about him.

The game was simply glorious though. Everyone was passing to Scally to try and get him a goal. Yogi brought himself on as sub near the end just to take the piss I think.

1 minute ago, Sgt Bilko said:

Nothing to back it up but rumours on Twitter, @dimitri froxylias has signed for Falkirk. Attacking midfielder played with Dumbarton last year. 

That's underwhelming if true. Unless he is seen as a good player that was suffering in a terrible team.

Just now, DeeBairn said:

That's underwhelming if true. Unless he is seen as a good player that was suffering in a terrible team.

Well I would presume Hartley wouldnt have signed him(if true) for being a terrible player in a terrible team.

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

Well I would presume Hartley wouldnt have signed him(if true) for being a terrible player in a terrible team.

True, but even good managers sign howlers once in a while. 

I doubt it's true, to be fair.  I don't remember anyone ever having anything good to say about the boy, and there surely has to be better kicking around. Fair play if he does sign, we'll give hime a chance to prove otherwise, but it's not really what we've been waiting for.

Dimitris Froxylias would be a good signing to be honest, if true. Not the name I had heard but wouldn’t complain.

Was he not star of the show in their challenge cup win down in Oswestry? It appeared he had talent but heads had dropped in the Dumbarton team including his latter part of the season.
Might be a prospect though....

Just now, RC55 FFC said:

Dimitris Froxylias would be a good signing to be honest, if true. Not the name I had heard but wouldn’t complain.

I suppose if he gets better service and spends less time chasing his own arse, he could be a better player. Though that kinda does depend on us improving as well. I'm trying to be positive, but I'm hoping this is just a rumour, as it doesn't really fit into the exciting signing narrative we've been fed over the last few weeks.giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, superandy_07 said:

IMG_1529066753.481107.jpg

It’s on a few websites, here’s one poorly translated

I think we've all 'found it all' with Falkirk so fair play to him.

We don't have much creativity in the squad yet so this would be a decent start although you'd imagine/hope he'd be thought of as more of a squad player to begin with.

7 minutes ago, superandy_07 said:

IMG_1529066753.481107.jpg

It’s on a few websites, here’s one poorly translated

That looks like the website that reported he joined us a few days before it became official. He's still on holiday at the moment, but I think he's back this weekend. Give him a follow on Instagram by the way, he's never off it (including sauna pictures :wub:)

I wrote this about him on our thread. He's a fantastic talent, I just don't think he can be bothered using it.

On 6/11/2018 at 08:50, Ross Forbes said:

I could write about 5,000 words on Dimitris Froxylias. He ticked every single cult-hero box, which unfortunately means that, despite his talent, he's probably unlikely to get a bigger club than you guys.

I'll start right back at the beginning. We looked seriously poor going forward as the window started to creek shut in August, and so on the final two days Stevie brought in Greg Morrison on loan from Ross County, and Froxy. I think most of us were pretty sceptical about signing a 24 year old nicknamed 'Jimmy the Greek' who is neither Greek nor called Jimmy, but given how rank we looked going forward (and given how handsome he was) it was worth a shot.

He made his debut a few days later against Connah's Quay and was the best player on the pitch by some distance. He took all our set-pieces, created loads of openings with cute wee passes and then scored the winner with a free-kick in the final minute of extra-time. 

The next week he produced another MOTM showing at Tannadice, and we all started to wonder how on earth we'd ended up with this guy!

A winner against Brechin and then an absolutely red-hot showing against Inverness - where he scored another really classy goal, and then cracked a free-kick off the bar that Sam Wardrop tapped in for the winner pretty much cemented his place as our best player.

Our performances started to dip after that and, although he was still our most exciting player, opponents started to learn more about him - and we started trying to play him wide rather than through the middle. Massive mistake for a guy who can't really run.

He rejcted an offer from Livingston to sign a new deal with us, before getting injured at the end of October. That was the last time he really put together a strong run of consistent starts.

When he came back at the end of November he immediately scored an absolute screamer against Dunfermline, set up the winner against St Mirren and then got injured again. It took him until the defeat at Tannadice in April to play his next full 90 minutes for the club...

In that time we went from being pretty poor going forward to being absolutely horrendous every time we tried to cross the halfway line. In his time on the pitch he showed plenty of wee flashes (and more than Danny Handling...) but nobody was doing anything of note for us going forward. He hit a wee purple patch after the free-kick against TNS, effectively setting up three and scoring one of our four goals in a week against Brechin, but (as pointed out on here) Stevie only seemed to play him when Sam Wardrop was fit, and preferred Danny Handling as a No.10.

He got his first international cap on the Friday of the Challenge Cup final, and then dashed to Perth to come on as a sub. Massive credit to him for that commitment, but I think Cristiano Ronaldo would struggle with playing two games in 24 hours either side of a couple of flights, so for a guy who isn't the fittest naturally, and who is very susceptible to hamstring injuries it was a mistake in hindsight.

That was in mid-March and he only made four more appearances for us (being hooked at HT in one). Now when you consider that, without his goals and assists, we'd have won just two league games all season (Brechin in November, United in April) that says to me that something else must've been going on behind the scenes. I don't know if it's application in training, or attitude or simply a clash in personalities between him and Stevie/Durrant, but clearly something wasn't right. 

Get him fit and playing with confidence and you'll wonder why he's playing in the Scottish Championship. Unfortunately we couldn't do that and, judging by his career to date, neither could any of his other clubs.

All the best to him though. He'll always be an absolute cult-hero in my eyes for making small chunks of last season memorable. Not very many DFC players have scored 40 yard free-kick winners in Cup semi-finals and then been called up to their national team either!

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

I know Hartley doesnt want to fling lengthy contracts at players but thats taking the pish.

A one day trial with an option of another day seems a tad fucking harsh. That's the sort of shit you'd expect Yogi to pull with a loan goalie.