The Falkirk FC Thread

As an outsider, I'd say Holt did alright, but either of Falkirk or Hamilton would not have needed to be a lot better to have won it, so I can see why it feels like a chance was missed.

Houston would not excite me. He's had decent managerial spells in his career, but he always strikes me as a bit of a balloon when he speaks. I'd also worry that he shows too much respect to the 'big' teams in the division.

He still sounds like a better bet to me than Latapy though.

I know what you mean about Houston but we really need an appointment to get the fans onside for a start...may pressley holt were not what the fans perceived as exciting appointments regardless of their success or not....appointing club legends rarely works (unless your guardiola) but I'm hoping in this instance we get him

Would Houston be a pretty universally popular appointment then?

I take it this would be based primarily on his Falkirk history? The season ahead is likely to be kind of freakish in a way, given who we all have for company. None of us want to stand still, but at the same time, there's probably more scope to look at the long game, as promotion is, for the time being, unlikely.

I might be wrong, but I'd have seen people like Pressley and Holt as more suited to that kind of longer term development than Houston.

Yogi, Pressley and Holt all seem to have the fans split on whether they did well.

Yogi took us to a cup final, 2 semis, won the Challenge cup and was manager when we won the 1st twice.

He also took us to 7th twice and gave us 5 SPL seasons.

When you read it like that it seems 'where is the issue'. Probably with the fact we should not only have beat Rangers in 09 but actually thumped them. Their has also been a lot of teams made top 6 with a far smaller budget than ours.

He also signed a few players on big money and then quit leaving the new guy lumbered with Yogis big money signings and due to his failure to deliver top 6 football, we needed to cut the budget from a team that stayed up on the last day.

Pressley certainly didn't get off to the best start.

Claiming we wouldn't be relegated and then getting relegated wasn't the best of starts.

He managed to finish 3rd time and again in the 1st division even with his budget getting cut year on year, also managed a Ramsdens cup.

Seemed to have a great eye for a striker and seemed very passionate in the job.

Fantastic in the cups and gave us 2 fantastic nights in Westfield v Hearts and Rangers. The night at Tannadice will live long in the memory but we always seemed lacking in the league.

If Holt had quit at HT v Hibs he could've been a legend after a week in the job.

Sadly in the 2nd half he couldn't even muster any sort of attacks to turn the tide and I've a feeling he shat it.

League wise when we were good we were fantastic. But when we were poor.....Deary me.

Certainly didn't have a great eye for signing a player. Signed a couple of gems but mostly it was failure.

For his 1st managerial job he didn't do too bad.

Still see the season past as a massive chance lost.

We were clearly better than Dundee, but you can argue we weren't better than Hamilton.

To finish below both is criminal. We seemed to have a real issue beating part time teams.

All 3 had good and bad points. I just hope the new guy is more Ian McCall than Eddie May.

Edited by Gaz FFC

Crunchie doesn't seem to be rated in any coaching capacity at falkirk...that may be quite right I don't know ...his only managerial experience was at Albion rovers which didn't end well although I'm sure that's a tough gig..obviously it would be great to have him in some capacity at the club but hey-ho ...I get to see him every night in my games room ....signed unique oil painting in the John weir strip which I drunkenly bought at that inchyra dinner..still my favourite bairn

Unbelievable that Yogi is compared to Pressley as "having good and bad points". Fucking hell.

I'm 23. When I'm 40 there won't be a Falkirk manager who's has as much success year on year as Yogi.

Well Pressley defo has bad points so I'm assuming your trying to say Yogi doesn't have any flaws?

Unbelievable that Yogi is compared to Pressley as "having good and bad points". Fucking hell.

I'm 23. When I'm 40 there won't be a Falkirk manager who's has as much success year on year as Yogi.

Does the relative expenditure thing not come into play when comparing records though?

Personally feel Houstie is best we can get...... unless we throw a double six with an untried manager......

I actually liked Holt, after years of Elvis tactics of playing for draws, it was refreshing to see us going to attack and try to win games, even though some of the times we were very gung-ho, Id still rather see us go out to win games especially in a league where we shouldnt fear anyone

Still no feeling 100% that Houstie will get the job, just never know with our board....tho altho they seem to have the message that the fans dont want a promotion from within the club, ala Eddie May, Elvis........

We really have had a strange time with manager appointments, really would have to go back to McCall for when the majority of fans were happy with an appointment

Let's hope it IS Houstie and NOT COLIN CAMERON... GIVE US A BREAK FFS

Houstie would be exactly the kind of appointment I reckon would get a number of fans excited and back onside again - which means he probably won't get it. Call me a pessimist, but our board now have a track record of incredibly underwhelming managerial appointments and I can't help but thinking this trend will only continue this time round.

Holt was one of the most baffling and unexciting appointments they could have made - he did okay, but I do think a decent manager with at least some experience would have known how to win the league last season and with that squad would have done so, so for me, Holt's spell can be summed up as "a huge chance missed".

This time around, we know we won't win the league this season, and this could allow us to actually build a team with some patience from the fans that could put in a title challenge the following season. I just think we need an experienced manager with a previous record to do that, though.

Houston will get the backing of most but hardly exciting. Any manager getting this gig with this regime is up against it. If he turns the job down no one really will be surprised either. We have had rookies who have been desperate to get their foot on the managerial ladder and have put up with anything. Let's not forget why Houston fell out with Dundee Utd. It was all down to budget size to compete and his salary. If he though it was poor there god knows what his view will be of the Falkirk package. However he has been out the firing line for a fair bit now so maybe he is in the desperate rookie camp now.

Well we've went from a player who gave me a miserable day in 97, might as well get the manager in too.

We already had the guy who scored the goal play with us so all we need is the captain (Mongomery) to complete the set.

Need to get that linesman involved somewhere as well.

Houston will get the backing of most but hardly exciting. Any manager getting this gig with this regime is up against it. If he turns the job down no one really will be surprised either. We have had rookies who have been desperate to get their foot on the managerial ladder and have put up with anything. Let's not forget why Houston fell out with Dundee Utd. It was all down to budget size to compete and his salary. If he though it was poor there god knows what his view will be of the Falkirk package. However he has been out the firing line for a fair bit now so maybe he is in the desperate rookie camp now.

Out of interest..... Who do you consider to be an exciting appointment?

I wouldn't that term exists with managers, especially in Scotland, where have seen top dogs Celic go round the blocks till they gave it to an unknown on a 12 month rolling contract...!

Personally my view on management appointments are down to what I feel is a good fit,then like all before in my time, they will given time to either prove my opinion is correct or not..... I include Lambie in this...hmmmm

This is true but I remember numerous games under Yogi where I felt that we could have and should have done better - he made some very frustrating decisions, made many frustrating omissions, would never bring on a player the fans were calling for (even when it was beyond doubt that it would make a difference), gave short contracts to youngsters, long contracts to oldsters, never ever had a plan B but like you say he has a great record ... the BEST record in fact !!

I genuinely don't know what the financial backing different Falkirk managers have had but I'd guess that Yogi was one of the best backed - and the fact that he even gained that backing can be stated as a positive.

Is he the most successful Falkirk manager in my lifetime - Yes ! would I want him back - No !

Its going to be Houston and Moss both at Celtic know each other and have ties to the club and have the backing of a majority of the fans. That said would Houstie want Moss as his number 2 and would Moss accept that role ???