The Falkirk FC Thread

Brutal for guys to not have their contracts extended during this time of uncertainty. Hopefully they can get something sorted elsewhere soon.

Given the above I will refrain from commenting on the ability of those leaving or a good number of those staying.

Doyle and Longridge are strange ones. Hope we have a right back lined up cause I’m not sure if I’m ready to go back to an auxiliary one after only one year.

I’m not totally surprised by Doyle. He was fortunate we didn’t have anyone else who could play right back, as let’s be honest, he’d have been dropped if we did. For the wages we were paying him, I’m sure we will get better.

Longridge is similar. We can probably get the same for less money.

No surprise Buchanan is away. When the season ended, he was by far our weakest centre half.

Sammon for another season sinks my heart

Not just footballing decisions at play, bound to be some players thinking lower league Scottish football is a gamble they arent willing to take in terms of getting a wage. They might be the ones that have another iron in the fire. You have to imagine Doyle's future lay in some sort of PT/fitness business anyway, maybe he is just going to accelerate that.

Always sorry to see players being released but particularly at this time. Difficult for them.

I loved Doyle's energy and enthusiasm. He was decent defensively. However, his passing was poor, his crossing was worse and he never seemed to be on the same wavelength as others about when he should overlap.

Buchanan must be gutted, but he wasn't great. Gary Miller looks much better suited to being captain.

We'll surely miss Longridge. He's probably not cheap though.

Hopefully there's plans afoot for McManus.

The rest, meh.

Our team from last season would have held its own in the championship. IF we get there, if hope we could improve on that team. Watching re-runs f the yogi and Houston years has just served to highlight how much better footballers those teams had.

35 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

Is it possible those leaving have chose to leave instead of sign the short term deal again? Possibly have work outside football or something else lined up?

I'm not sure about that. It's a big gamble and it's not as if any of them are a huge loss. I'd like to think our management team has decided they can get better in after us flattering to deceive too many times last season.

8 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Pretty much spot until Longridge, if he applied himself could be comfortably off with a bottom eight SPL outfit. 

You reckon Longridge could be playing for the side in fifth place in the top flight, am I reading that correctly?

27 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Good news then that we've only got 6 players to pay if league one is a long while off in starting. Was worried it may have been more than double that.

Its people jobs and it must have be a desperate time waiting to find out one way or another. 

It has been a sensible and balanced decision taken.  6 players signed with a further 6 on a short term deal to await developments.

So the bulk of a squad is there with 3-4 signings to be made depending on budget and length and format of season.

Prudent management by M&M and the board, so for once well done.

10 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

So the bulk of a squad is there with 3-4 signings to be made depending on budget and length and format of season.

A first-team squad of 15/16 does not even fill a bench. Lessons will need to have been learned from the mismanagement of the January window if they are being kept on.

43 minutes ago, AGPar said:

A first-team squad of 15/16 does not even fill a bench. Lessons will need to have been learned from the mismanagement of the January window if they are being kept on.

Squad budget will be lower due to fewer games. Most teams will be running things with the same caution in mind.

20 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Squad budget will be lower due to fewer games. Most teams will be running things with the same caution in mind.

Problem is we don't know how many games we'll play, or when they'll start. 

There appears to be a plan for the Championship (below) but unless Doncaster's vote goes in our favour tomorrow we won't be in it. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/championship-set-27-game-season-22189847

I haven't seen any recent articles as to what the plan is for Leagues One and Two. 

Guest Ecosse83
8 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Problem is we don't know how many games we'll play, or when they'll start. 

There appears to be a plan for the Championship (below) but unless Doncaster's vote goes in our favour tomorrow we won't be in it. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/championship-set-27-game-season-22189847

I haven't seen any recent articles as to what the plan is for Leagues One and Two. 

Can't believe they would do this Partick Thistle, it's actually disgusting the way they have been treated.