The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I was neither up nor down about Hartley tbh - didn’t really get the fanfare surrounding his appointment either.

I thought it was a bit of an ambitious move. Also someone who seemed like a bit of a b*****d..  

Don't know about fanfare but it looked like a tough no nonsense appointment. 

On the other hand I was never happy with McKinnon and the saga around that and thought appointing the Chuckle brothers was fucking insane.

Guest Peter LaFleur
3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Hopefully has his shooting boots on tonight as usual, friend.  He may be away in the summer so if he is, a goal or 6 tonight would be nice.

Fingers crossed. Just realised you missed out on the playoffs which is a shame as I would have liked The Caley to be back in the big league. What’s your thoughts on McCann? Is Robertson definitely returning?

1 hour ago, Brummo said:

You talk some sense, which i.m.o. is a breath of fresh air on this thread.

I take dispute with your pejorative use of the phrase "part-time" as if it meant inferior. When Montrose were thumped by the same margin the other week, to a man, they kept playing. It was a hiding but the "part-time" team put in a 100% professional performance.

The clip earlier in this thread of your defender walking back while Thistle are about to score highlights the fact that "full-time" certainly does not mean better.

Arguably, it should, which is why such clubs exist and all "big" clubs are full-time  but just paying enough money to enable players to give up the day job doesn't make a "full-time" team. They have to be good enough, motivated enough and coached well enough.

Even a "bad" Falkirk  team has managed to see off Montrose in every game we have played and Saturday may well be no different, as the hectic schedule definitely favours "full-time" teams. However, when I hear of a Mo player likely to be moving to Falkirk, I really question "why"? Sure, it is a chance to step up to "full-time" and Montrose have a policy of letting players move on to seize  such opportunities, as part of our development pathway ethos but other than that?

So why not accept the reality that "part-time" doesn't inevitably mean "inferior"?

Maybe Falkirk could benefit from learning from well-run "part-time" teams?

I absolutely get this and think a hybrid model may be our way out. We are scraping the bottom of the full time barrel continually signing dross who really should not be making a living playing football.

Say we pay a squad of full time players £500 a week (only using this as an example, I am in no way itk) and we have 20 players in that squad. Would we maybe be better having 10 part time players who are the cream on £300 a week and signing 10 better full timers on £700 a week. We could probably get better players.

A lot of folk have decent jobs and don't want to turn pro. I would always want us to be a full time club but until we are out of this league it may be an option worth exploring.

8 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I absolutely get this and think a hybrid model may be our way out. We are scraping the bottom of the full time barrel continually signing dross who really should not be making a living playing football.

Say we pay a squad of full time players £500 a week (only using this as an example, I am in no way itk) and we have 20 players in that squad. Would we maybe be better having 10 part time players who are the cream on £300 a week and signing 10 better full timers on £700 a week. We could probably get better players.

A lot of folk have decent jobs and don't want to turn pro. I would always want us to be a full time club but until we are out of this league it may be an option worth exploring.

One of our better players in the 90s was Davie Moss. Part time. And also 1000 times fitter than any of these wanks.

Houston's biggest mistake was announcing he was packing in at the end of the season. He should never have been allowed to make that public.  It definitely effects the players who start thinking differently and wondering if there's any point knocking their pan in for a guy heading off in the summer. I'm sure John Baird mentions it as one of the main reasons he had already looked at moving on.  Immediately he announced that he should've either been thanked for his time and moved on or the bod should've brought in someone to work with him that would takeover the next season. That would at least have kept the players in line. We did neither and whilst recruitment was poor we should never have been in a relegation fight with that squad.  The players chucked it though and it ended up a complete car crash.

No doubt this post will leave me open to extreme ridicule but I just wanted to give my tuppence worth.

The Rawlins’ must see by now how badly the club is run and might just be regretting their investment. However, if they have done their due diligence they will know that there is massive potential here too. I am hoping that they see things through and perhaps even put a consortium together to buy out our current board / owners in their entirety. With all of their contacts from their time down south and in the States this must be doable, surely?

Some “outside the box” thinking is needed and for me that means hiring a relatively high profile manager (and getting rid of that buffoon Holt), even if we are languishing in League 1. Money talks and if you pay enough, people will be prepared to take the drop to tier 3, of that I am sure. Once we have a “big-ish” name manager in place get in a few decent players, a la Stainrod, for the spine of the team and surround them with some youngsters and / or part timers.

For the last decade we have done the same old, same old (apart from the “Brentford model” debacle which I am ashamed to say I fell for hook, line and sinker). We’re in the last chance saloon and this might be our last roll of the dice?

Oh aye, and Gary Deans can f**k right off.

Guest Ecosse83

Houston this Houston that. Hartley this Hartley that! Who gives a f**k about all that now? 

This club needs to be taken by the scruff of the neck and sorted out once and for all. The first thing that needs done is horsing that lazy useless lump of shit Durnan out the door today. Not tomorrow not next week, TODAY!! 

Edited by Ecosse83

Phil and Carrie Rawlins have just made a substantial investment with more on the way in order to get to the premiership league.

They rightly won’t even be considering part time football. We’d be as well preparing to become the next Clyde or Airdrie if that’s our level of ambition.

17 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Houston's biggest mistake was announcing he was packing in at the end of the season. He should never have been allowed to make that public.  It definitely effects the players who start thinking differently and wondering if there's any point knocking their pan in for a guy heading off in the summer. I'm sure John Baird mentions it as one of the main reasons he had already looked at moving on.  Immediately he announced that he should've either been thanked for his time and moved on or the bod should've brought in someone to work with him that would takeover the next season. That would at least have kept the players in line. We did neither and whilst recruitment was poor we should never have been in a relegation fight with that squad.  The players chucked it though and it ended up a complete car crash.

Him announcing it publically didn’t have to be a bad thing, (there’s instances where this has happened at other clubs and it’s worked out)  but because of the fragile nature of our club it wasn’t a wise thing to do.

5 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Phil and Carrie Rawlins have just made a substantial investment with more on the way in order to get to the premiership league.

They rightly won’t even be considering part time football. We’d be as well preparing to become the next Clyde or Airdrie if that’s our level of ambition.

We are there already and will continue with the downward spiral if we continue signing the dregs of the full time barrel. This is the superior attitude that fucks off other fans and makes them ridicule us more in our current plight. We have no god given right to be any better than Clyde or Airdrie, like everything in life it has to be earned and we need players whether they are F.T or P.T who appreciate that.

8 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Good point but they did get him to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement that will have cost them a few thousand.

Things happened the fans will never know..

Signing policies aside, who knows, what I do know is he stunk the place out with his w****r attitude and treated loyal staff/volunteers like absolute shite

f**k Hartley

2 hours ago, Brummo said:

You talk some sense, which i.m.o. is a breath of fresh air on this thread.

I take dispute with your pejorative use of the phrase "part-time" as if it meant inferior. When Montrose were thumped by the same margin the other week, to a man, they kept playing. It was a hiding but the "part-time" team put in a 100% professional performance.

Well being a full-time team doesn't give you any right to beat a team because they are part-time, you still have to earn it. But full-time teams should be able to outdo part-time teams because they are professional footballers who should be more talented - obviously not the case with Falkirk players. Full-time players train everyday which means that technically, physically and tactically they should be way stronger than part-time teams - not the case with Falkirk players. 

Certainly I've had enough of signing the lowest standard of full-time players who aren't good enough to be professionals. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
13 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:
Don't cry like wee Bairns. Have a suck of your thumb.
 image.png.34c85ea89c0c8a43ccc24e54a757b33f.png

Think we had enough of your attempts at humour when we were all buckled with cringe at your "keepers a vagina" effort last night m8.

Flappy flappy flap.