The Falkirk FC Thread

9 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Why does it? 

We have a squad today who IMO will get nowhere near the play offs far less win the league. It has also proven to be a good bit better than the rubbish near the bottom so relegation IMO won’t happen either.

The new manager has been hired to the end of the season. I presume it suits both parties. He gets a look at managing in Scotland and we are not tied to a longer contract if he fails to get us up via the play offs after boosting the squad in January. 

Personal think this is a hit to nothing and as risk free as you can get. Expectations are low, very few expect us to get up now but going down doesn’t look likely either. 

The wins versus Clyde and Dumbarton have kept Sheerin in a job longer than it should. I personally share the feeling relegation won't be an option and the top end, Cove seem to be in control at the moment unfortunately, the cutting each others throats seem to have stopped for them.

Sheerin didn't have the basics in place, how to defend, attack and the midfield is a mess, in Hetherington the water carrier who is carrying a small half cup passing it 2 yards to Telfer or back and can't tackle, the wide players have been poor and has anyone seen Nesbitt recently ?

Rennie will have to address that in coaching and the January window but at least he has years of experience compared to the previous.

2 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

For every Allessio there is a Paulo Sergio, for every Caixinha there is a Dick Advocaat and for every Maximo there is a Wim Jansen, all of whom were seen as gambles if not out-of-the-box appointments at the time.

To paraphrase George Barnett, "the league's gone, TFS must stay open". IMHO we have no chance of promotion this season but under Rennie's stewardship I don't think that we will be candidates for relegation either. I am hoping that he does enough with what remains of this season to merit a 2 or 3 year deal and that he can concentrate on getting us out of this shite league next season.

It's the Scottish 3rd division, with our budget even now play offs should be minimum

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

At the end of the day we could have klopp coaching the team but if it's full of shit players with shit attitudes it won't matter a bloody jot.  We need to recruit better players and players with a bit of backbone and leadership or we will continue to plumb new depths.  That is the crux of the matter unfortunately.

The old adage of throw a manager who has worked with millionaire top pros to the bottom is never something that would work in any case.

We do have a good core of players that have played comfortably at a higher level that have been mismanaged for me, yep some are just shit but we don't create fuk all, our set piece play is woeful our striker gets zero service, our midfield don't support our lone striker, we have two decent attacking full backs who were redundant in that manner on Saturday, we simply have zero structure.

We need the new manager to add to what we have in January naturally, to have a structure of how to attack and defend, set piece play and generally how to get the best out of what we have, Sheerin failed in all of that.

On 11/12/2021 at 13:00, Mevilc Bairn said:

I'm pretty sure it was but not 100% certain. Wild scenes at the penalty and a sense of relief. Crazy times after the game. I'm sure we got an Elliot's bus window smashed after a Hearts game as well but can't remember when

I was on the Elliots bus that day as well - actually I think it might have been a midweek game? Wee guys picked up some pottery from outside a house and launched it through the window.

Guest Back Post Misses

Blame me is making so many assumptions on what the new structure will be - if there is to be a new one. 

Why don’t we all just wait and see where this is going? 

The New Board have not been in the building a week yet and he is saying we are going back to the Lex Miller recruitment strategy 😳. What I know about Rennie and the new Board members I would be surprised if that was going to be the case. 
Whatever the current structure is, it looks to me not to be that successful. That maybe the people, it maybe the structure. Give the new guys a bit of time to assess things would be my advice. 

Finally got a chance to listen to the Rennie podcast.

I think it’s clear he’s happy working “under” someone - he talks extensively about how it’s important to have a club structure wherein a style of play is to be worked towards, and players are identified and profiled with that style in mind. 

Now, given the new people on the board are fans, you’d hope they’d know the person he’s working under simply cannot be Holt. The level of player he thinks is acceptable would have us in mid table league 2 within the next year or 2. 

What’s interesting me is who the board have in mind to replace Holt. Another important appointment

I laugh when I read peoples comments saying we are taking a massive gamble in appointing Rennie. I think it’s him that taking the gamble here!!! His first appointment in Scottish football could be his last leaving HIS reputation tarnished.

Welcome on board Martin. I wish you luck[emoji1696]

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

We told you Durnan & Sammon were pish so don't come on here trying to blame us for your shambles as well. We have enough of a mess on our hands thanks to Stevie Shithawk Hetherington.

Not blaming anyone. Mulraney has made a rod for his own back.  But we ( or I ) can fully appreciate what your team is going through.

Its strange how after the past seasons Heatherington was a stand out in midfield for us and is now a bombscare.

Never ever rated Sammon before he arrived, nothing has changed.

56 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Blame me is making so many assumptions on what the new structure will be - if there is to be a new one. 

Indeed, I am! 😆

Reason being because if we are to do another volte face it's yet more cash spaffed in pursuit of competing agendas.

A very enlightening podcast and what I said about Martin's media skills was reinforced. Very knowledgeable, very driven and I think our post-match interviews will be a bit more tolerable.

Our previous coach needed to be told who did what on the pitch and sometimes reminded who actually started, by Falkirk TV - let such a situation never return!

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

What’s interesting me is who the board have in mind to replace Holt. Another important appointment

That`s the position I`d like to have seen Brian Rice in rather than Manager. He`s got a good eye for a player & lots of contacts here and down south.

The guy has probably just arrived in country and given the past few appointments the guy as well as the new board are already being written off or called into question calm down.  let the guy have time to see the turd he has to polish and if anyone needs called into question its Holt/Sheerins signings as well as the underperformers.

11 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Why does it? 

We have a squad today who IMO will get nowhere near the play offs far less win the league. It has also proven to be a good bit better than the rubbish near the bottom so relegation IMO won’t happen either.

The new manager has been hired to the end of the season. I presume it suits both parties. He gets a look at managing in Scotland and we are not tied to a longer contract if he fails to get us up via the play offs after boosting the squad in January. 

Personal think this is a hit to nothing and as risk free as you can get. Expectations are low, very few expect us to get up now but going down doesn’t look likely either. 

This message reeks of failure and mediocrity.  You and your pals are in charge of the club now, its time to step up and lead us out of this mess.  As yet we have had no statement of intent from the new Bod, no chairman has been appointed, we've had an utterly bizarre managerial announcement late on Friday.  The appointment itself is absurd, we've plucked a guy from assisting the Notre Dame womens team, a guy who doesnt know the team, the league, possible transfer targets etc and we're basically now relying on Gary Holt to identify players.  The fact we've given him a 6 month deal also shows that the new BoD dont have full faith in his abilities.  The fans have no idea when he is due to start either but I'm assuming it's the end of this week, which means he'll only have a days training with them.  Throw in the fact that the players xmas party must have been sanctioned by the BoD and the revelations from loser Grainger that we only train twice a week, it raises the question of what the hell is going on at the stadium and why have you and your mates not got a handle on things?

And this free hit chat is utter bollocks, there should be no such thing as a free hit in this league, if Deans came out with that he'd be lambasted. Per the FH the patron money of £220k was going towards the January window, add in a further 30k from BFL that's a hell of sum that a decent manager, who has experience of what is required could use to get us out of this league.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

Why don’t we all just wait and see where this is going? 

The New Board have not been in the building a week yet and he is saying we are going back to the Lex Miller recruitment strategy 😳. What I know about Rennie and the new Board members I would be surprised if that was going to be the case. 
Whatever the current structure is, it looks to me not to be that successful. That maybe the people, it maybe the structure. Give the new guys a bit of time to assess things would be my advice. 

They're all Falkirk supporters though and should be binning Holt asap! 

I honestly don't know why they need time for that. 

5 minutes ago, champions said:

This message reeks of failure and mediocrity.  You and your pals are in charge of the club now, its time to step up and lead us out of this mess.  As yet we have had no statement of intent from the new Bod, no chairman has been appointed, we've had an utterly bizarre managerial announcement late on Friday.  The appointment itself is absurd, we've plucked a guy from assisting the Notre Dame womens team, a guy who doesnt know the team, the league, possible transfer targets etc and we're basically now relying on Gary Holt to identify players.  The fact we've given him a 6 month deal also shows that the new BoD dont have full faith in his abilities.  The fans have no idea when he is due to start either but I'm assuming it's the end of this week, which means he'll only have a days training with them.  Throw in the fact that the players xmas party must have been sanctioned by the BoD and the revelations from loser Grainger that we only train twice a week, it raises the question of what the hell is going on at the stadium and why have you and your mates not got a handle on things?

And this free hit chat is utter bollocks, there should be no such thing as a free hit in this league, if Deans came out with that he'd be lambasted. Per the FH the patron money of £220k was going towards the January window, add in a further 30k from BFL that's a hell of sum that a decent manager, who has experience of what is required could use to get us out of this league.

I’d like to know who you’d have preferred as manager of you think Rennie was a poor choice? Also, maybe he only wants a 6 month contract to see if it is right for him. 

16 minutes ago, champions said:

What an absolute walloper you are btw. They've only been in the door a week. Given Rennie's supposed to be a life long Falkirk fan he's probably very well aware of the team and the leagues in Scotland despite having never managed in them. If you genuinely believe we only train twice a week then you need your head checked. We've plucked a guy who's got a 53% win ratio in over 300+ games which is quite fine by me. He's got 6 months to show what he can do and if he's not up to it then we part ways in June and look elsewhere. Moaning about who we've got as a manager whilst also moaning about him only getting a 6 month deal is a funny turn of events.

Guest Ecosse83

Don’t agree with the free hit stuff, yes the squad is poor but surely any manager worth their salt will get more from them than Sheerin and Grainger. 

Having watched the bottom end of the Championship play the play offs have to be a realistic target, we’re 17 games into the new season and no way should we give up already! 

3 hours ago, Blame Me said:

fore the window and you have two choices: Use the data he's built up with Sheerin etc and proceed with those targets or ignore the club strategy and use Miller's local knowledge - Your now back to the Lex Miller/M&M approach, listening to Kenny Miller throw out guys he might want to work with and are available (Rangers loanees?). I doubt he has been doing the same scouting work as Holt since punditry is not the same as compiling reports and having conversations with clubs about potential targets. 

😂 his justification for signing Wilson was that got 4 goals for Dumbarton last season. He's just throwing darts.

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

What an absolute walloper you are btw. They've only been in the door a week. Given Rennie's supposed to be a life long Falkirk fan he's probably very well aware of the team and the leagues in Scotland despite having never managed in them. If you genuinely believe we only train twice a week then you need your head checked. We've plucked a guy who's got a 53% win ratio in over 300+ games which is quite fine by me. He's got 6 months to show what he can do and if he's not up to it then we part ways in June and look elsewhere. Moaning about who we've got as a manager whilst also moaning about him only getting a 6 month deal is a funny turn of events.

You forgot to add in the bit about statement from the new BoD and a vision of where the club is going and the direction they want to take..lol

I don’t see why we always feel the need to abuse anyone on here who has an alternative view.
Frankly there are a number of valid points in there and it’s not unreasonable that if the BoD or others are calling for investment they come up with some information to provide us with confidence.
Personally, I’m ok with the manager choice but not if he’s going to have to rely on Holt for new signings.
It would be good to see some information on early strategy etc from the new board this week….