The Falkirk FC Thread

9 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

If MR was to be believed, he stated in BTW that there was no skill difference between part time and full time, and part time training regimes meant there was no fitness or stamina differences either.

He stated that good part time players can be more expensive than run of the mill full timers. That could be construed that part time can be more expensive than full time.

Personally, I think he got to the point of contradicting himself that night, but that was just my opinion.

I think we all know where we can file any of MR's thoughts about operating in this division. 

12 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Does not stop the people claiming to have an inside line on what's going. The board leak like a sieve or posters on the forum are bullshitting its one or the other. Your contradicting yourself saying we are staying full time and at the same time saying. 'They won't know the budget till they have a clear view of the financial position'  Because the budget will dictate if we stay full time.

The board if they value their credibility will clarify things in the next 2 weeks.

The fact we have 14 players on full time contracts mean we will stay full time and the budget will dictate how many more players and of what standard we can sign.

McCall as usual has his finger on the pulse signing guys like Milne up.  We play against these guys and yet either never sign them or sign them and don't give them a proper chance like dowds and McCann. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Indeed, and that only once financials are clearly understood will the decision be made to be full time or not………but it ain’t necessarily so.
It can just as easily determine the quality of full time player we sign. If MR was to be believed, he stated in BTW that there was no skill difference between part time and full time, and part time training regimes meant there was no fitness or stamina differences either.
He stated that good part time players can be more expensive than run of the mill full timers. That could be construed that part time can be more expensive than full time.
Personally, I think he got to the point of contradicting himself that night, but that was just my opinion.

Many of the part timers I’ve seen this season were better and fitter than our bunch of full time imposters.
I have no doubt that most part timers earn more than our full time players if you combine their part time football earnings with their full time earnings from outside football. Maybe that’s what MR was meaning

Fairly certain that running a part football team is cheaper than running a full time outfit.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The fact we have 14 players on full time contracts mean we will stay full time and the budget will dictate how many more players and of what standard we can sign.

McCall as usual has his finger on the pulse signing guys like Milne up.  We play against these guys and yet either never sign them or sign them and don't give them a proper chance like dowds and McCann. 

McCann played 26 games.  Thats a pretty good chance.  Can't think of 1 he impressed in.

59 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

Many of the part timers I’ve seen this season were better and fitter than our bunch of full time imposters.
I have no doubt that most part timers earn more than our full time players if you combine their part time football earnings with their full time earnings from outside football. Maybe that’s what MR was meaning

Fairly certain that running a part football team is cheaper than running a full time outfit.

Again, it depends. MR was pretty clear on the best part time players often earn more than full time players at our level. He used the term “the better part time players earn more from football  than many full time players”. He was of course, speaking about L1 specifically. He wasn’t talking about job plus football earnings……purely football earnings.

20 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

McCann played 26 games.  Thats a pretty good chance.  Can't think of 1 he impressed in.

With clowns like Mackay and hall playing inside him is it any surprise. If you're going to play attacking full backs you need rock solid centrehalfs to allow them to get forward and cover for them. We've not had that all season and he wasn't really given a sniff under rennie even with Taylor Sinclair and Dixon stinking the place out.  He was excellent for Airdrie last season.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

13 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Again, it depends. MR was pretty clear on the best part time players often earn more than full time players at our level. He used the term “the better part time players earn more from football  than many full time players”. He was of course, speaking about L1 specifically. He wasn’t talking about job plus football earnings……purely football earnings.

The better part time players he talks about will be the likes of vigurs and Reynolds etc at cove. I highly doubt any of the rest of the part time outfits pay more than our full time gang.

On 26/04/2022 at 10:24, sick boy said:

🤣, his attitude is a joke. 

been hooring himself to Cove last 6 months, has signed for them already.

What is the consensus from a goalkeeping perspective on Robbie?  The last ex Falkirk player we signed has been dreadful. Admittedly it was tit for tat as we gave you Seb Ross

Edited by CoveRangers1922

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Spot on, said same for years. Pity McCall wouldn’t touch us 

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

What is the consensus from a goalkeeping perspective on Robbie?  The last ex Falkirk player we signed has been dreadful. It was tit for tat as we gave you Seb Ross

Not dreadful but loses far too many soft goals, particularly vulnerable to low shots.

8 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Not dreadful but loses far too many soft goals, particularly vulnerable to low shots.

Not exactly filling me with confidence but I'll take an honest assessment. I'll hold out this rumour is just that and instead we're going for Dabrowski or Rae. Both aren't rumours just who I think would do a job for us.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

3 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Not exactly filling me with confidence but I'll take an honest assessment. I'll hold out this rumour is just that and instead we're going for Dabrowski or Rae. Both aren't rumours just who I think would do a job for us.

Mutch is a good keeper who like most young keepers is prone to a few calamities per season but on the whole he saves you more points than he gives away. He's underrated by many on here just purely down to how tragic we've been the past few years. Someone on here mentioned a while ago that he was one of our highest paid players so on that basis I'm not going to be too fussed with him moving on as really he needs a freshen up and we could be doing with a more experienced keeper. Mutch has been around for so long it's crazy to think he's only 23 so still plenty of development in him.

We did all tell you Leitch was dung.

14 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Was decent his first season in the first team but has become more and more unreliable. Mind you playing behind our centrehalfs probably hasn't helped. I'd like to see us getting a more experienced head in next season if he moves on. I presume you guys are going full time then next season?

Edited by Shadwell Dog

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Was decent his first season in the first team but has become more and more unreliable. Mind you playing behind our centrehalfs probably hasn't helped. I'd like to see us getting a more experienced head in next season if he moves on. I presume you guys are going full time then next season?

I think our back line will change a bit next season. Potentially a new keeper, Harry's away and I suspect we'll take in a CB. Murmurings of Considine for the latter but not convinced he'll come to us.

Supposedly we'll be hybrid for next season. It was meant to be 2023/2024 but brought forward a year. I think a new main sponsor will be announced soon and don't know whether or not that has contributed towards it. If we can stabilise in the Championship then the chairman has said we'll try to go full time.

56 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The better part time players he talks about will be the likes of vigurs and Reynolds etc at cove. I highly doubt any of the rest of the part time outfits pay more than our full time gang.

If you went for a FOI to all part time teams including the Lowland league you may be surprised at how many are getting paid a damn good wage might not be quite the £500 I see quoted on here all the time but  a hellavae lot are not far off. Plus a lot of part time teams can offer other employment to make up the balance and probably more than what a full time player at L1 level makes. These part time teams who also give part time work also allows players to train and use fitness coaches as well as attend games. That is why they appear as fit as full timers plus teams are not weakened as much during midweek games. You also have a huge amount who are fitness instructors and the ones who own their own business. Gone are the days of "The Part-time Team" very few about now. There are teams in the Highland/Lowland leagues who offer stupid money for signing on and a weekly wage which is absurd, not fully sure where these teams get there money but they do.

52 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

A case could be made for a pre-pandemic Mutch being a steadier keeper than post pandemic one, but not always.

Watch this from the start. The Robbie “ffs” moment arrives 10 seconds in.

22 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

A case could be made for a pre-pandemic Mutch being a steadier keeper than post pandemic one, but not always.

Watch this from the start. The Robbie “ffs” moment arrives 10 seconds in.

That is a complete howler. Gourlay had one similar against Queen's Park at the start of the season.

4 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You make the point for me the support are coming to these conclusions by deduction.

The club must know what they are going to do. So tell us rather than the leaks / bullshitting.

Situation regarding the manager. Full Time confirmation. Academy. Budget. Keep the support informed and on side.

Not  to much to ask

1 hour ago, Blue Toon Renegade said:

If you went for a FOI to all part time teams including the Lowland league you may be surprised at how many are getting paid a damn good wage might not be quite the £500 I see quoted on here all the time but  a hellavae lot are not far off. Plus a lot of part time teams can offer other employment to make up the balance and probably more than what a full time player at L1 level makes. These part time teams who also give part time work also allows players to train and use fitness coaches as well as attend games. That is why they appear as fit as full timers plus teams are not weakened as much during midweek games. You also have a huge amount who are fitness instructors and the ones who own their own business. Gone are the days of "The Part-time Team" very few about now. There are teams in the Highland/Lowland leagues who offer stupid money for signing on and a weekly wage which is absurd, not fully sure where these teams get there money but they do.

Yeah as I said then. Few will be on higher football wages than our full time guys probably those at cove.  Others may have a higher combined wage and may have received help with employment via the club they play for. You do sometimes wonder in the merits of being full time at this level.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

53 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

You make the point for me the support are coming to these conclusions by deduction.

The club must know what they are going to do. So tell us rather than the leaks / bullshitting.

Situation regarding the manager. Full Time confirmation. Academy. Budget. Keep the support informed and on side.

Not  to much to ask

Why are you so convinced at this stage that they know exactly what they are going to do though? The bod aren't sitting their thinking ach weve got a new manager but we won't tell the support as we can't be arsed  As has been already mentioned we are going to be full time as stated by the directors any time they have been asked.  They will not announce a manager until they have an agreement in place with a manager and if currently employed his commitments at any club he is currently at are concluded.  The budget will be determined once they have finished stabilising the situation at the club. That goes for first team and youth. Absolutely no point in coming out saying we are going to do this, this and this to then find out we can't and I would also think decisions on these will also depend on the new manager . The season isn't even finished yet. Season tickets won't be on sale till June as per normal nor will the transfer window be open. I'd expect the bod to have completed and informed the support in good time for season ticket sales at the latest. I can't remember any other bod we've had coming out and telling everyone their complete plans for the next season on the Saturday the last one finished. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog