The Falkirk FC Thread

34 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

There's your answer. Released due to personal reasons.

That’s ashame. Looked a great prospect too in his short appearances. Wish him all the best and hope that whatever may be the reason, that he finds his way back to becoming a professional footballer. 

2 hours ago, Van_damage said:

Like that team but Gary Oliver is a striker too ...

Jings ... is that right?  I think someone told me that about Oliver when he was at Palmy - it never occurred to me when watching him on the pitch though.

[Oliver now obviously scores hat-tricks in each game with Queens this season ...]

14 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Jings ... is that right?  I think someone told me that about Oliver when he was at Palmy - it never occurred to me when watching him on the pitch though.

[Oliver now obviously scores hat-tricks in each game with Queens this season ...]

Was going to say that unfortunately that he’s one of these rare strikers that doesn’t score goals however the rare ones are actually those that do! Thankfully MacIver is proving to be one of the few despite a relatively low conversion rate at his previous clubs. Maybe we should have a new policy of signing ex Partick strikers that failed to perform at Firhill as seems to be working so far. 

(For the record I actually think Oliver is a decent squad player). 

53 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Was going to say that unfortunately that he’s one of these rare strikers that doesn’t score goals however the rare ones are actually those that do! Thankfully MacIver is proving to be one of the few despite a relatively low conversion rate at his previous clubs. Maybe we should have a new policy of signing ex Partick strikers that failed to perform at Firhill as seems to be working so far. 

(For the record I actually think Oliver is a decent squad player). 

I used to watch Oliver and think to myself that he's a tidy player, clever feet, keeps possession well, good awareness of what's round him etc ... but I just used to get frustrated with the lack of end product, be it a goal or a telling pass.  To be fair to Oliver, he'd have been with us in the Championship when the quality of our squads started to tail off - and of course he'd be up against better defences than he'd face in L1.  So he's probably fine at this level.

8 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Hopefully means a right back incoming 

I doubt the savings from the wage of a modern apprentice would come close to being enough to sign a professional footballer. It's vaguely possible one of the current U18s might get an MA on the back of it, but none of them would displace Finn Yeats. 

2 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

We have been made aware their is an issue currently with the YouTube version cutting off 10mins early at the 42nd minute mark. Will update once fixed but in the meantime, the full podcast is available on Spotify, Apple Podcasts etc. Cheers.

Now fixed 👍🏼🔵⚪

47 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I doubt the savings from the wage of a modern apprentice would come close to being enough to sign a professional footballer. It's vaguely possible one of the current U18s might get an MA on the back of it, but none of them would displace Finn Yeats. 

True, I'm probably living in hope rather than expectation that we might get another right back in. 

22 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

A random thought:

While Lawall scored a good goal during the week, he has never impressed me.  He seems to be painfully underweight and, for me at least, is poor at controlling the ball as it comes to him, most times it bounces off him and he is easily dispossessed.  Yes he will score a goal here and there after coming on as a sub, but I don't have any confidence he can play a more important roll for us than that.

Smh, because he’s barely been given a chance.

5 goals and 1 assist in 19 league games says it all. 

Lawal offers something different, doesn't always work, but he certainly keeps defences guessing and he gets the crowd up for it. I'd be looking to keep him doing exactly what he's been doing, coming off the bench to punish tired defences and either put some gloss on the scoreline or get us a goal when it doesn't look like we're getting one any other way.

4 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Good luck Pearce.  He is young and talented so hopefully he gets on well in life. Football is only a game. Thinking of  him

This. From sparse minutes I seen the guy, there’s something special that not all footballers have. Don’t know the circumstances but hope it all works out for him. 

9 hours ago, Springfield said:

IMG_4123.jpeg

I did wonder if it would get many putting their names forward as we’ve only had 3 people nominate themselves on the last 3 occasions and all have now served or are still serving on the board. 

Maybe needs to be more detail about exactly what is expected of the candidate as one of the last sets of criteria was to be able to put in 20 hours a week outside of match days. Does seem like a lot of hours to ask someone to give up and will no doubt limit the amount of fans that are able to commit to that. 

1 hour ago, Van_damage said:

I did wonder if it would get many putting their names forward as we’ve only had 3 people nominate themselves on the last 3 occasions and all have now served or are still serving on the board. 

Maybe needs to be more detail about exactly what is expected of the candidate as one of the last sets of criteria was to be able to put in 20 hours a week outside of match days. Does seem like a lot of hours to ask someone to give up and will no doubt limit the amount of fans that are able to commit to that. 

I now think that the emphasis on someone working hard almost full time on the Board needs to be dropped. The main role (fiduciary duty apart - which is really not a difficult thing to follow) should be to represent an independent FSS's (ie fans') position to the Board on matters of interest. If someone can add to that afterwards then great. 

We need to move away from retired or rich people being the only people being able to afford/have time to be an FSS rep. 

Edited by Kevin James Left Knee

2 hours ago, Van_damage said:

Would be good to hear from Nigel, the current FSS rep on the FFC Board as to what's required and how he's finding it. Never seem to hear much from him. 

It's certainly an appealing role, just a bit vague about exactly what skills you MUST have.