The Falkirk FC Thread

15 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Don't see where you're getting that from what I said. Like everyone else I was sickened by our display against Airdrie and I may well have sacked him on the spot that night. Thinking about it though, the fact that we didn't have the money to do it and ultimately it would have meant yet another new manager coming in, having to bring in his own squad etc etc, I would have given him his last season. Hopefully, what we've seen so far this term continues (and maybe even gets better) thus proving that keeping him was the correct decision. Time will tell.

A good friend of mine said the other day that we’ve tried the “sacking managers time and time again, the only thing we haven’t tried is actually sticking by one.”

I totally agree that the airdrie game was horrific, it was my worst feeling ever watching Falkirk, but I’m so glad we stuck by him. 

Some folk on here really have some bizarre opinions, however they are just opinions and the good thing is no one really gives a toss what they think. 

Mon the bairns. 

I didn’t express an opinion either way on McGlynn to my recollection but I  would have been happy to be shot of him after that Airdrie game.

I suspect if I looked hard enough, one or two of those defending him on here at the moment would have been calling for his head at the end of last season.

I still think his strength is that he signs decent players who he can use to change a game based on their abilities, rather than having any outstanding tactical nous, but it’ll do for me if we get promoted this season……

44 minutes ago, Hannibal Lecturer said:

A good friend of mine said the other day that we’ve tried the “sacking managers time and time again, the only thing we haven’t tried is actually sticking by one.”

I totally agree that the airdrie game was horrific, it was my worst feeling ever watching Falkirk, but I’m so glad we stuck by him. 

Some folk on here really have some bizarre opinions, however they are just opinions and the good thing is no one really gives a toss what they think. 

Mon the bairns. 

The only part of that that I can't get my head around is the 'good friend' bit! :P

20 hours ago, FFC1965 said:

Ive just looked back at the 2020/2021 season. 

must have banished it from my memory as its completely wild when its presented in stone cold figures now.  

With 6 games left we had 31 points from 16 games (in a 22 games season) - we were 3 points clear of Cove and 7 clear of Partick and our goal difference was better too (+5 v CRFC and +6 v PTFC)

Partick won the league with 40 points.  

We took 1 point from our last 6 games.  Put another way, having lost 3 games in first 16 we lost 5 out the final 6. 

Even a draw v Partick and 2 wins in the other 5 (which featured Peterhead A and Montrose H) might well have been enough. 

And of course we went backwards so fast we went from 1st to 5th, not that we'd have had any chance in the playoffs

It puts Devon Loch in the shade as a collapse.  

I dont think there will be very many FFC fans who will take anything for granted this season

I did too, why did you need to go and bring it up!

17 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Two of our big successes this season have been Lang and Spencer.  Do you think they would be in Falkirk shirts if we dumped McGlynn in summer?

Do you think they would be in Falkirk shirts if they were offered more money elsewhere?
It’s the BoD handing over the cash that brought them to FFC far more than it being any sort of loyalty to McGlynn. Provided we were offering up the best terms, they would have always signed for FFC regardless of who was manager, just as they would still be RR players if Murray had equalled or bettered our offer.

42 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Do you think they would be in Falkirk shirts if they were offered more money elsewhere?
It’s the BoD handing over the cash that brought them to FFC far more than it being any sort of loyalty to McGlynn. Provided we were offering up the best terms, they would have always signed for FFC regardless of who was manager, just as they would still be RR players if Murray had equalled or bettered our offer.

Whilst finance undoubtedly plays a significant part in any player's decision to move (or stay) I am not sure Spencer and Lang would have been willing to drop down to League One to play under another manager.

I am yet to be totally convinced by McGlynn but, for me, his presence certainly played some part in their coming here. I would not underestimate the importance of players knowing, and having a strong relationship with, the manager they are going to be playing for. For me McGlynn is a big factor in Lang, Spencer and Ross currently being at the club.

1 hour ago, AGPar said:

Whilst finance undoubtedly plays a significant part in any player's decision to move (or stay) I am not sure Spencer and Lang would have been willing to drop down to League One to play under another manager.

I am yet to be totally convinced by McGlynn but, for me, his presence certainly played some part in their coming here. I would not underestimate the importance of players knowing, and having a strong relationship with, the manager they are going to be playing for. For me McGlynn is a big factor in Lang, Spencer and Ross currently being at the club.

Spot on. I doubt they'd have come for less cash but also I doubt they would have dropped down a league for anyone else but mcglynn. The fact that numerous players are happy to keep playing for him at various clubs shows the respect they have for him . 

I’ve no doubt managers can have an effect on a signature but I think money influences it much more.

That’s why I would refute claims about players not signing for us due to a turnaround in managers. If they have similar offers elsewhere then these things may come in to effect but I’d imagine whoever offers most will often be the deciding factor on who a player signs for. Would presume that’s why Tumilty signed with Hamilton and not with for us, despite having been with McGlynn previously. 

5 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

I’ve no doubt managers can have an effect on a signature but I think money influences it much more.

That’s why I would refute claims about players not signing for us due to a turnaround in managers. If they have similar offers elsewhere then these things may come in to effect but I’d imagine whoever offers most will often be the deciding factor on who a player signs for. Would presume that’s why Tumilty signed with Hamilton and not with for us, despite having been with McGlynn previously. 

Wasn’t aware Tumilty was offered a deal with us.  

53 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Depends how much more is offered I suppose. If it's £500 a week, it's a no brainer, £50 not so much. That's when their previous relationships with managers etc would come in to it more.