The Falkirk FC Thread

Jest seen the FSS are now up to 800 members with many more existing members also recently upping they’re monthly debits. Noted the club are also really promoting the 1876 club at the moment where funds go direct to the academy, I’ve not been paying into to that one but intend on joining today after seeing the promotion. Seems to be going in the right direction, let’s keep pushing to get more signed up to both! 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Especially important given the club have highlighted the fact they need to start working on current players contract situations. Fair few out of contract next summer that I would hope we can keep. 

Goalkeeper
1. Sam Long - Still contracted to Lincoln to 2025
31. Nicky Hogarth - June 2024
27. Owen Hayward (A)

Defender
2. Tom Lang - June 2025
6. Coll Donaldson - June 2024
26. Sean Mackie - June 2024
22. Brad Mckay - June 2024(thank f**k)
3. Leon Mccann - June 2024
20. Layton Bisland - Out of contract with Dundee United
33. Logan Sinclair (A)

Midfielder
8. Brad Spencer - June 2025
5. Liam Henderson - June 2024
4. Stephen McGinn - June 2024
14. Finn Yeats - June 2024
21. Ola Lawal - June 2024
10. Aidan Nesbitt - June 2025
18. Gary Oliver - June 2024
7. Callumn Morrison - June 2024
29. Calvin Miller - June 2025
11. Alfredo Agyeman - June 2025
23. Ethan Ross - Out of contract with Raith
30. Scott Honeyman (A)
32. Rhys Walker (A)

Striker
9. Jordan Allan - June 2025
17. Ross MacIver - June 2025

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Especially important given the club have highlighted the fact they need to start working on current players contract situations. Fair few out of contract next summer that I would hope we can keep. 

Goalkeeper
1. Sam Long - Still contracted to Lincoln to 2025
31. Nicky Hogarth - June 2024
27. Owen Hayward (A)

Defender
2. Tom Lang - June 2025
6. Coll Donaldson - June 2024
26. Sean Mackie - June 2024
22. Brad Mckay - June 2024(thank f**k)
3. Leon Mccann - June 2024
20. Layton Bisland - Out of contract with Dundee United
33. Logan Sinclair (A)

Midfielder
8. Brad Spencer - June 2025
5. Liam Henderson - June 2024
4. Stephen McGinn - June 2024
14. Finn Yeats - June 2024
21. Ola Lawal - June 2024
10. Aidan Nesbitt - June 2025
18. Gary Oliver - June 2024
7. Callumn Morrison - June 2024
29. Calvin Miller - June 2025
11. Alfredo Agyeman - June 2025
23. Ethan Ross - Out of contract with Raith
30. Scott Honeyman (A)
32. Rhys Walker (A)

Striker
9. Jordan Allan - June 2025
17. Ross MacIver - June 2025

Fairly certain Mcginn is on a decent wage and won't be re-signed for another year. Oliver and McKay will be away too hopefully. 

I wonder what JM will do about McCann and Mackie. Not sure JM fully rates McCann, but Mackie Is constantly injured. I'd hope to keep Leon. Not too fussed about Mackie. 

42 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I don’t post on here as much now - reading the last few pages make me glad of that and I can see how good, Falkirk guys like BPM have stopped posting. Top of the league, unbeaten and playing great football and still we have people moaning.

What I would say is that I found the tweet from Tam McManus on Harrison Howe really heart breaking but it also makes you think and reflect.

We expect players to be on their top game every week but the reality is they all have personal lives just like we do and we ain’t got a clue what’s going on in them. 

I’ve been going since 1978 and always passionately want any Falkirk youth player to go on and have a great career. I’m not going to lie, I want young Harrison to do even better and will probably support him more than I’ve supported a player in a long time.

Good luck you brave, strong young man - you are an inspiration to us all.

I don't do Twitter, so would you be able to give us an idea of what Tam said? All I know about Harrison Howe is that he almost scored on his debut. What a dream start that would have been!

1 hour ago, Forever_Blue_ said:

Fairly certain Mcginn is on a decent wage and won't be re-signed for another year. Oliver and McKay will be away too hopefully. 

I wonder what JM will do about McCann and Mackie. Not sure JM fully rates McCann, but Mackie Is constantly injured. I'd hope to keep Leon. Not too fussed about Mackie. 

I'd try to keep Hogarth, Donaldson, McCann (who I've always thought was a great player), Yeats, Henderson, Ola and Morrison. Unsure about Mackie and Oliver, although Oliver's not a bad squad player to have and I'd actually like to see more of Mackie as a midfield 'destroyer', although I can't see where that opportunity would come.

I think McGinn will be away due to his injury and money although, again he would be a very valuable player to have around if he could stay injury free.

I'd definitely keep Long if something could be worked out, not seen enough of Bisland to make a judgement either way but, so far, I don't think Ross has looked to great TBH.

It's all going to be down to how much cash we can get in between now and January of course.

10 hours ago, Blame Me said:

@superandy_07 you are correct.

The idea of it being the Steeple unfortunately perpetuated with the old, now gone, sign outside the stadium shop exhalting fans to "wear the Steeple with pride".

I'm sure historians Michael White/Ian Scott have an article online explaining where the badge originated.

Think there was an article in Ruperts Roar giving the history on both badges that strated John Prentice drew it and he said it was based on the steeple.

Now where did I put my Fanzines?

Personally, I would prefer to revert back to the original (highlander with sword) club crest

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Think there was an article in Ruperts Roar giving the history on both badges that strated John Prentice drew it and he said it was based on the steeple.

Personally, I would prefer to revert back to the original (highlander with sword) club crest

Never! We have one of the most unique club crests going.

Go to 7mins 50 seconds.

We estimate that the club needs an extra £400,000 each year to become sustainably successful, by which we mean having the capability to reach then stay in the Premiership. This may seem like a scary number but with our large fan base it’s very achievable. For example, 2000 fans would only have to contribute an average of £3.85 extra per week. Obviously, the more fans who participate the lower the average contribution becomes - 2500 fans at £3.08 per week or 3000 fans at £2.57 per week and so on.

So as my two year annual subscription of £120 a year has ended i need to consider if I'll be renewing to FSS. Given there is 800 members currently I'd need to think about upping my payment to £ 620 a year to play my part in contributing to the £400,000  The thought 2500 or 3000 folks are regularly going to contribute is fantasy. If the £400,000 was borne by the 800 members that would be an additional £ 9.62 a week. 

The tone of these pleas seems to be directed at those who are doing something and does get a bit tiresome.

I read into the statement that we must be already be paying Championship wages, and £ 400,000 will be no use if the Premiership is ever reached, however income does changes dramatically at that level.

I fully appreciate the Scottish Government loan was a godsend to FSS and in turn the Club, but without getting political i don't believe that is what should public money should be getting used on Football Supporter Societies.

I am prepared to continue and increase additional contributions over and above the usual Season Tickets, Hospitality, Corporate Events etc, but I'm not sure if I'll do it via FSS   

17 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

How about putting hundreds of thousands of pounds into the club over the years, including an emergency injection of cash only last year?

That wasn't the last board though was it . That was SA and Ritchie etc who had nothing to do with the inchyra debacle.The last board didn't invest any huge amounts of money like they have over the years. 

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

No way!

The steeple crest whether current version or the 1876 is a magnificent piece of design beautifully merging a local landmark with the sport in question.

Actually recognised as one of the best club crests in world football.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

5 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I don’t post on here as much now - reading the last few pages make me glad of that and I can see how good, Falkirk guys like BPM have stopped posting. Top of the league, unbeaten and playing great football and still we have people moaning.

To be fair I haven't really seen that other than about long term issues that aren't related to what's happening on the park. Apart from an obvious troll or two who should just be roundly ignored.

It's a little bit sobering that even if we continue our great form and get promoted- we face the same financial pressures we have today next season. When we really should be investing again in a better standard of player.

I love fan ownership..I think it's great. I'm just not sure we are well placed to make it work without Ann Budge or Gordon Scott type to write cheques additionally whilst we aren't in the Premiership.

That feels like the only model likely to be successful imo. We don't need a multi millionaire but we would ideally have a Martin Ritchie type character willing to meet the majority of the shortfall in the lower leagues. 

I totally understand why that's a shit deal for them as its essentially burning tenners KLF style every year.

2 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

We estimate that the club needs an extra £400,000 each year to become sustainably successful, by which we mean having the capability to reach then stay in the Premiership. This may seem like a scary number but with our large fan base it’s very achievable. For example, 2000 fans would only have to contribute an average of £3.85 extra per week. Obviously, the more fans who participate the lower the average contribution becomes - 2500 fans at £3.08 per week or 3000 fans at £2.57 per week and so on.

So as my two year annual subscription of £120 a year has ended i need to consider if I'll be renewing to FSS. Given there is 800 members currently I'd need to think about upping my payment to £ 620 a year to play my part in contributing to the £400,000  The thought 2500 or 3000 folks are regularly going to contribute is fantasy. If the £400,000 was borne by the 800 members that would be an additional £ 9.62 a week. 

The tone of these pleas seems to be directed at those who are doing something and does get a bit tiresome.

I read into the statement that we must be already be paying Championship wages, and £ 400,000 will be no use if the Premiership is ever reached, however income does changes dramatically at that level.

I fully appreciate the Scottish Government loan was a godsend to FSS and in turn the Club, but without getting political i don't believe that is what should public money should be getting used on Football Supporter Societies.

I am prepared to continue and increase additional contributions over and above the usual Season Tickets, Hospitality, Corporate Events etc, but I'm not sure if I'll do it via FSS   

The £400k thing is both a choice and a necessity.  The choice is to maintain full time football rather than radically cut the playing budget, probably in half.  The necessity is that, if we did cut the budget in such a way, we'd likely enter a spiral.  The best p/t players get as much or more than our f/t players, so there isn't really a silver lining in that direction. 

The figure itself is borne out of the operating loss we've suffered on average each year for the past decade/15 years, so there's evidence behind it, with player sales and cup runs historically plugging the gap.  As is obvious, being in L1 puts direct pressure on budgets because of the woeful prize money and poor away crowds, and indirectly because we're less likely to sell players (esp w/o an Academy) or have these cup runs.  The crippler is stadium overheads, which is approaching mid six figures irrespective of which division we're in, but there's little we can do about that and blame games aren't appropriate here.

I get that the constant ask for fans to fund the gap is grating on some folk.  But I think the club has to do it and I'm not clear that playing around with the tone would help much.  They have to be up-front and tell fans the situation as it is, otherwise what's the point of having fan-elected directors?

I think I struggle with the idea that fan ownership is a "choice" inasmuch as we can decide that it didn't work so we'll just go and find that sugar daddy.  The balanced ownership model allows for someone like that, and no-one is champing at the bit to throw cash at us.  An outright sale brings a similar challenge, not least because any new owner would still have to work with fans as significant shareholders, unless everyone agrees to sell-up.

We're on a bit of a wing-and-a-prayer, but still in a hugely better position than a year ago.  So much hinges on getting promoted this season.  If we don't, and another few hundred £k doesn't materialise through a cup run, sale, or windfall, then it is the radical scenario, as we can't really go into debt.

I don't really have an answer, other than to say that now isn't the time to get fatigued by the club's situation.  Of course, it's up to everyone - rich or poor - how they spend their cash and no-one can criticise those who choose not to.  But it's equally true that choosing not to contribute *if you can afford to* means that the club is less able to thrive at this crucial juncture.  That might not be palatable and sound "blamey" but it's no less true.  (And the upside of doing it via FSS rather than other ventures is the absence of VAT, which is significant).