What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Thor 2

Thought this was a bit shit tbh. I've never been a big fan of CGI films, and I hadn't seen the first one(I still enjoyed Iron Man 3, despite not having seen the previous 2), but even still, it's not a very good film. The elves are incredibly dull, the aether is an incredibly dull concept, the story didn't make sense in parts and the humour was shit.

Just not my film at all. CGI is something that I will never see the attraction to.

5/10

Seen Gravity last night in IMAX 3D and it was brillant, agree with comments before about some of it being cliched tho it doesnt take much away from the film

With the points being made about the point of having the 3D

There was some scenes that were fantastic and built for the 3D, the sequences with the debris in particular the 2nd one with the space station was excellent for 3D use as was the shots of the earth in the backround

Pacific Rim and Dredd are probably the only other 2 ive really enjoyed 3D with

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Cringed at a completely uncomfortable level at some scenes, but overall an enjoyable film. The leads put in convincing performances and the film manages to deal well with some dark themes. A good coming-of-age film.

7.5/10

P.S how these people with their supposed superior music taste don't know David Bowie - Heroes is beyond me.

Agreed, Mud was fantastic! Try out Kings of the Summer. Also released this year and another great coming of age film. Stand by Me is my favourite film of all time so always keen to find similar ones

As above, Kings of Summer is a very good film.

Cheers guys, just watched this and enjoyed it.

Entertaining, if a touch forgettable, some of the story is definitely over contrived.

A bit weaker than Mud, imo.

6/10.

Going to see Gravity tonight, can't wait, hopefully the contrarian in me keeps at bay.

Loved Gravity. Not much more to say than what's already been said.

Amazing assault on the sense in 3D and Sandra Bullock's performance is just as captivating as the cinematography and the effects.

If i'm nit picking the only things I found a little unbelievable was the ease with which she mastered the Russian and Chinese vessels and I also didn't quite buy Kowalski's return and her moment of inspiration.

The scenes where the debris impacts is phenomenal, my eyes were nearly popping out my head.

Just a fantastic film and everything than going to the Cinema should be.

9/10

Signed up to (eventually) for netflix so will spend tomorrow watching film after film, any recommendations?

Watched Hidalgo last night, fair enjoyed it

Watched pacific rim last night, thought it was pretty good and watchable.

Ultimately a kids film but I thought the script and storyline was more believable than man of steel or Prometheus.

Starting to see the same special effects and noises in every blockbuster now though and it's just not realistic at times.

Might be better to show less of the monster and leave your imagination to do the rest, I thought cloverfield was a good example of this.

With pacific it was just full monster right from the start...

Garden State

Can be a little melodramatic at points, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Managed to laugh out loud at parts aswell, which tends to be rare for me during comedies. The cast put in solid performances, which made their characters seem real and believable. Good soundtrack aswell.

Also, Natalie Portman :wub:

9/10

The Lives Of Others. 10/10

Absolutely stunning, the best film I've seen for a long time and definite top ten (possibly 5) material for me.

All the actors are fantastic and believable. Wiesler is a very memorable character, the range of emotions you feel at the end is wonderful.

I usually get bored with films over 2 hours, but I could easily have watched another hour of this, and despite wanting it to go on, the ending was perfect.

It also taught me a lot, as I had no idea what East Germany was all about, all I ever heard about was drug cheats and erm... that's it.

Made all the more poignant that Ulrich Muhe died of cancer a few months after winning an Oscar. Only 54 too.

Fantastic film and in my Top 5 of all time too.

World Cinema is so under rated in comparison to big budget, blockbuster ****

For another film on the old GDR I would recommend Goodbye Lenin.

Edited by SheepAreRed