What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

21 hours ago, jam20 said:

A Cure For Wellness 4/10.

(Very slight Spoiler) A really odd film. I really enjoyed the set up and the Gothic horror feel was great. Camera work was decent and I had a really good feeling this was going to be a Shutter Island meets horror.  Unfortunately the set up doesn't pay off and some of the main plot points are subtle as a brick, I was certain that one of the main points had to be a misdirection due to the hamming it up.  The least said about the final section the better.  At 2.5 hours this was an hour too long.   I do think an edited version of this movie with some plot points removed could have been much more successful.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this movie.

That's pretty much what Robbie Collin said about it on the radio the other day ... I 'd seen the trailer and even that dragged on a bit. Just looked like an exercise in ticking gothic horror boxes.

16 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Moonlight...can't really see what the Academy voters saw in it. Well enough acted and directed but in no way outstanding.

Spot on. So slow and no actual plot. This movie was made to be a critics circle jerk about the performances, directing and themes. I like my movies to have substance where I'm not constantly checking my watch to see when it ends.

Speaking of which, also watch Passengers. Not what I expected it to be after watching the trailer and was waiting on the action to kick in at some point but it never did. Jennifer Lawrence was stunning, however. Why are Space films the new cool thing?  4/10.

On Saturday evening I watch My Old Lady, starring Kevin Kline, Maggie Smith & Kirsten Scott Thomas. Kline is an American who inherits a Paris apartment from his father & finds out it has two sitting tenants, Smith & Scott Thomas, apparently this is a quirk of French law & perfectly legal. Basically it follows his attempts to get shot of them.  On Sunday evening I watched My Life of Crime with Tim Robbins & Jennifer Aniston (who was surprisingly good).  She gets kidnapped & he won't pay the ransom although it was done a lot better years ago with Danny de Vito & Bette Midler.

3 hours ago, GingerSaint said:

Speaking of which, also watch Passengers. Not what I expected it to be after watching the trailer and was waiting on the action to kick in at some point but it never did. Jennifer Lawrence was stunning, however. Why are Space films the new cool thing?  4/10.

I thought there was about five seperate points where there was an oppertunity to take the movie in a more interesting direction instead of sticking to the same two dimensional drivel, and not once did they take it. There was clearly some decent ideas behind this movie, which makes it even more frustrating that it was so shite.

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 12:58, jam20 said:

A Cure For Wellness 4/10.

(Very slight Spoiler) A really odd film. I really enjoyed the set up and the Gothic horror feel was great. Camera work was decent and I had a really good feeling this was going to be a Shutter Island meets horror.  Unfortunately the set up doesn't pay off and some of the main plot points are subtle as a brick, I was certain that one of the main points had to be a misdirection due to the hamming it up.  The least said about the final section the better.  At 2.5 hours this was an hour too long.   I do think an edited version of this movie with some plot points removed could have been much more successful.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this movie.

Have to disagree went into this fearing the worst but I really enjoyed it maybe loses a few points for weak ending 

7/10

Don't Breathe.

I saw this when it came out last year and really enjoyed it. Nothing much on TV tonight so watched it again and it still works. Deceptively simple horror concept in the style of early Craven or Carpenter -- burglars break into the house of blind ex-Army guy and totally bite off more than they can chew -- from the guy that remade Evil Dead a few years back, which I thought was much better than it had any right to be. It has jumps in all the right places and did well to get me to root for the burglars over the poor blind homeowner and his b*****d dug. There's a scene about two thirds through with a turkey-baster than Mark Kermode REALLY didn't like. While I agree it was kinda ridiculous, I thought the movie needed something surreal and transgressive like that just to give the audience a wee shock. Literally held my breath at several points which has to be some kind of indicator of quality. A very worth 7/10.

Edited by MSU

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Charlie Kaufman scripted, part fantasy/part reality love story.  Found myself really rooting for the happy ending which is quite unlike me.  Haven't seen another film quite like it. 8.5/10

Adaptation - Another Kaufman film and seemingly part based on his life as a scriptwriter.  Nic Cage plays the part of two twin brothers one a big extrovert and the other the opposite.  Very good film. 8/10

Broken Flowers - Going through a bit of a Jarmusch phase.  Very subtle and ambiguous and won't be for everyone, nice message about living life in the present day. 7.5/10

Barney's Version - Canadian film about non PC hard drinking anti hero with a sensitive side that falls in love with a stranger at his wedding reception.  Highly recommended. 8.5/10

Edited by Kool Keith

Logan - 9/10

I absolutely loved this. A bit slower paced than the usual superhero movie, but it makes up for that with the story between the characters. Superb acting all round but particularly Patrick Stewart as old Charles. Old Charles is best Charles.

Whiplash

Finally got around to watching this. Wasn't really something that tempted me initially but after listening to Rush this week I was in the mood for drums so gave it a go. Absolutely loved every moment of it. The tempo was spot on throughout and some of the camerawork was excellent. I like directors who mix it up a wee bit. The zooming in of the drumkit and little sounds had me right from the start. I'll be keeping an eye out for more work by Damien Chazelle*. And J.K.Simmons was absolutely superb. The first thing I did was check if he was nominated for an Oscar. When I saw he won it I actually punched the air in delight :lol: Thoroughly deserved!

9/10.

* Just checked and see he directed La La Land! Had no interest in that film either but will definitely be giving it a go now.

16 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Whiplash

Finally got around to watching this. Wasn't really something that tempted me initially but after listening to Rush this week I was in the mood for drums so gave it a go. Absolutely loved every moment of it. The tempo was spot on throughout and some of the camerawork was excellent. I like directors who mix it up a wee bit. The zooming in of the drumkit and little sounds had me right from the start. I'll be keeping an eye out for more work by Damien Chazelle*. And J.K.Simmons was absolutely superb. The first thing I did was check if he was nominated for an Oscar. When I saw he won it I actually punched the air in delight :lol: Thoroughly deserved!

9/10.

* Just checked and see he directed La La Land! Had no interest in that film either but will definitely be giving it a go now.

I wouldn't normally watch a musical but knowing La La Land was directed by the same guy as Whiplash was enough for me to just go with it. JK Simmons appears early in almost exactly the same character, but with a hatred of jazz. So much of La La Land, IMO, is about music, how we feel about it, how much "bad" music can get your hackles up, how certain songs trigger memories. Obviously there's more to it than that - you might hate it but if you like Whiplash there's definitely a thread of it that carries on into La La Land. 

Straight Time 1978,  Dustin Hoffman is excellent cast against type as a newly released con who tries to go straight but finds his parole officer (M Emmet Walsh) is a dick and that society is pretty unforgiving. This forces his decision to go back into crime, teaming up with Harry Dean Stanton  and Gary Busey.

Michael Mann had a hand in the writing and anyone familiar with De Niro's character in Heat can see the inspiration in this, Reservoir Dogs also pays it a wee nod.

Also features a very young Theresa Russell and one of Kathy Bates' first screen appearances.