NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

16 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What’s best game to watch tonight then? Eagles v Washington seems like it could be the bigger one seeing as both them still have a chance and the seahawks are virtually out of contention? 

Although I’ve not posted in here at all I have loved this season. Although I have to admit the last 3 games I’ve watched have been up there with the poorest I’ve seen. Bears v Vikings, Raiders v Browns and then that Bucs 6-0 game. Incredibly shite

Still ‘supporting’ the Raiders loosely but I’ve kind of just grown into supporting individual players. Lamar Jackson and Aaron Rodgers especially. 

The West battle has more chance of being a competition on paper sadly.  Although the East, like always, has somethin riding on it...

3 hours ago, Swarley said:

OK the offence were pretty shit apart from the TD drive but that DPI call on Kupp and the non DPI call on Jones at the end of the game. UTTER BULLSHIT.

Shawn Hochuli trying to outdo his dad as the worst nfl official of all time 

Was pretty amazed they didn't call the PI at the end. Doesn't look back at the ball and runs into the Receiver....
As much as it gives me great pleasure to see the Seahawks lose, I actually burst out laughing at that one. It didn’t look great in real time, but when you see the slow mo replay it is laughable that none of the officials saw it.

It's a popularity contest, and as much about exposure and markets as anything.

Guarantee you a huge number of the people who actually voted haven't seen Jackson play a single snap this season, but they'll have looked at the list of candidates for AFC QB, seen Jackson's name, thought to themselves 'he's good', and clicked to vote for him.

It never used to be as bad as it has become recently, but I always used to look forward to the All Madden team and viewed that selection as much more of an indicator of who was really deserving of recognition around the league that season. Madden was marmite, but he understood football in a way that the vast majority of the Probowl voters never will.

Austin Ekeler is 2nd in the NFL in yardage and has put up 17td's this season, he's an alternate, Joe Mixon gets in directly. Likewise, Linval Joseph, who is having a decent year but nothing remarkable, is voted in as an alternate for some reason. The Chargers play in LA. Had Joseph had a similar season while the team was playing in SD he'd have been absolutely nowhere in the voting. It's about market exposure. I know this because all the years I watched the team play in SD we had some absolutely outstanding contributors who never once got near a Probowl, so seeing Joseph's name in there is just as baffling to a LAC fan as it is to anyone else. Kyzir Whyte and Nasir Adderly are both having vastly superior seasons to Joseph, but nobody knows who they are so they are absolutely nowhere in the voting. Joseph has been around for years so he's a recognisable name.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Yip, it should really be voted by the coaches. At least that way you know that the roster is made up of players that are actually rated by those in the game, and not just based on who has the big media profile, the career stats, getting in there on past exploits etc

I always found it funny how gaudy INT numbers were an absolute guarantee a CB would get a ProBowl nod. It's the most obvious example I can come up with of ProBowl voting public understanding f**k all about football. It's not so much the case now, but quite frequently years ago the guy who had 6-7 INTS on the season only had those numbers because the CB on the opposite side of the defence was a far superior CB who shut down the No.1 WR, so the gaudy INT guy was profiting from being able to take risks when the offence picked on him and tried to force the ball to the No.2. We had it with Antonio Cromartie. Quentin Jammer was a far better all-around corner for years. Jammer would shut down the No.1, come up and absolutely murder ball carriers in run defense as well, yet Cromartie was left to freeboot on the other side because of his superior athleticism and the fact we'd rotate the Safety over to his side because Jammer never got beat AND because he was an absolute liability in run def, yet Cromartie would get his picks and go to the Probowl while Jammer never even got a look in.

Recent example would be Marcus Peters. I'm not saying Peters is an outright bad or talentless CB, but the only reason he gets the numbers he does is because he ignores his assignments frequently, freeboots, gets beat a fuckton as a result, but also gets the payoff of INT numbers. I wouldn't have a player like that on my team because he refuses to play to the scheme, but there you are, a guy who will go to the ProBowl most years when he's fit.

Edited by Boo Khaki

The Pro Bowl needs scrapped in general. Or let the coaches vote on who gets in. As Boo has said it’s a total popularity contest 

There is no way they will scrap it. I makes them lots of money and gets them somewhere warm for a break.

I do agree that letting coaches vote for it would make it a lot better.

It’s the amount of stories produced saying ***** has been snubbed, this team has no pro bowlers blah blah blah can you imagine a Seahawks fan voting for anyone in their division? A handful at most

Generally the lines move to take account of that, especially at QB. The Saints were 3.5 point favourites on the handicap vs the Dolphins when the book opened but are now 1.5 point underdogs. 

If a team did end up in the same situation as the Broncos last year I think the game would be taken off the board. You'd also hope teams are being a bit more savvy with keeping at least one QB on their roster /practise squad away from the rest so they don't go down as a close contact. 

Edited by Fuctifano

What am I missing in regards to Time Outs. I just can't seem to get why they are meant to be important?

Last night's game for instance, a couple of minutes left on the clock, and the Titans and 49ers both had 3 time outs left, and with the Titans in possession the 49ers used all 3 one after the other, I just don't get what the big gain is. Yes they can discuss tactics etc, but the clock or advantage doesn't change.

What am I missing as commentators seem to make a big deal out of them?

23 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

What am I missing in regards to Time Outs. I just can't seem to get why they are meant to be important?

Last night's game for instance, a couple of minutes left on the clock, and the Titans and 49ers both had 3 time outs left, and with the Titans in possession the 49ers used all 3 one after the other, I just don't get what the big gain is. Yes they can discuss tactics etc, but the clock or advantage doesn't change.

What am I missing as commentators seem to make a big deal out of them?

They stop the clock. If you are down in bounds then the clock continues to run down (it stops with incompletions or running out of bounds). If you’ve no timeouts then everything needs to go to the outside of the field so the receiver can then get out of bounds, timeouts give you more time, and allow more of the playbook to be an option. 

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

They stop the clock. If you are down in bounds then the clock continues to run down (it stops with incompletions or running out of bounds). If you’ve no timeouts then everything needs to go to the outside of the field so the receiver can then get out of bounds, timeouts give you more time, and allow more of the playbook to be an option. 

Thanks.

But clock still starts again from the same position, I guess you do get time back on the scrimmage set up.

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Thanks.

But clock still starts again from the same position, I guess you do get time back on the scrimmage set up.

That’s exactly it, with the timeout the clock won’t run again until the ball is snapped. Without it, the clock continues to run down throughout the time in between the plays.