Car advice

thats nasty man its going to require surgery 
Got a bit along with the rest of the arch, I painted it aswell but was too dark to get a picture will get one tomorrow.20200715_190216.jpeg

Decided on an estate car cause of the dog and camping trips. Any advice on my current order of preference...

Vauxhall Insignia, 2016, 60k miles

Skoda Fabia, 2017, 45k miles

Ford Focus, 2014, 42k miles

VW Golf 2014, 48k miles

Similar prices, all with diesel 1.6L engines as its for exploring the Highlands and the high mpg and £20 road tax make that the right choice for those circumstances or am I missing something? 

The Insignia has the most bells and whistles and looks the best imo, so unless its significantly less reliable or more costly to maintain than the Skoda I think I'm gonna get that. Didn't realise test drives were still  banned cause of covid so you just need to buy it after a look in person which is a bit shit.

My aunts car failed it’s MoT on these things. Anyone know roughly how much to fix them so she’s got a guide. She thinks because she’s old and a woman they’d might take the piss

- Oil leaking excessively from engine

- Offside front outer drive shaft joint constant velocity boot split or insecure, no longer prevents the ingress of dirt

- Exhaust lambada reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits 

My aunts car failed it’s MoT on these things. Anyone know roughly how much to fix them so she’s got a guide. She thinks because she’s old and a woman they’d might take the piss
- Offside front outer drive shaft joint constant velocity boot split or insecure, no longer prevents the ingress of dirt
Oil leak could be pricey depending what it is, but could also be a quick fix.

CV joint boot might just need repositioning and a new clip, if it's split it's a more time consuming job to fit a new one.

Exhaust reading again could be a simple fix. Is it petrol or diesel? What type of driving/mileage does she do?

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I'd get that Lambada checked out. I thought it was forbidden.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

Oil leak could be pricey depending what it is, but could also be a quick fix.

CV joint boot might just need repositioning and a new clip, if it's split it's a more time consuming job to fit a new one.

Exhaust reading again could be a simple fix. Is it petrol or diesel? What type of driving/mileage does she do?

Cheers for that. It’s a 55 plate Mitabushi and has done about 140k miles. She does about 9k a year visiting her family, going shopping trips etc

Mate of mine had an insignia and had no shortage of bother with it, cracking car but seems to have issues.

The amount of them kicking about at auctions back when they were a thing that also looked and sounded dodgy also made me wary when I was looking for a bigger motor.

Some boot size right enough.

I'd get that Lambada checked out. I thought it was forbidden.
One of my ex workmates went to Goa on holiday years ago, and brought me back a reverse alarm that played the Lambada. Neighbours loved it I'm sure, especially when I got home from night shift on a Saturday morning at 5.30 am. [emoji23]

9 hours ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

Decided on an estate car cause of the dog and camping trips. Any advice on my current order of preference...

VW Golf 2014, 48k miles

Fabia is wee compared to the Golf -  more like a Polo though maybe the boot is similar.

I have a 2003 1.6 Golf (hatchback) diesel and it is fine but gutless.  You may have to buy older/higher mileage/lower spec but I'd look for a 2.0 Golf estate.

17 hours ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

VW Golf 2014, 48k miles

Similar prices, all with diesel 1.6L engines as its for exploring the Highlands and the high mpg and £20 road tax make that the right choice for those circumstances or am I missing something? 

The Insignia has the most bells and whistles and looks the best imo, so unless its significantly less reliable or more costly to maintain than the Skoda I think I'm gonna get that. Didn't realise test drives were still  banned cause of covid so you just need to buy it after a look in person which is a bit shit.

Would avoid the Insignia. Would more likely go with the Golf personally, better ride quality, will soak up bumpy highland B roads well, it's just a better car than the Insignia and probably the Focus. If you can get a Bluemotion Golf I think the MPG is usually ridiculously good on long drives. 

Skoda Octavia estate is also a good option if you can find one as I think the road tax maybe slightly cheaper and it's probably cheaper to buy than a Golf estate.

18 hours ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

VW Golf 2014, 48k miles

9 hours ago, pub car king said:

There's quite a bit of difference in size between an Insignia and a Fabia.

Golf would be the pick for me. Focus is a nice car to drive but golf will hold its value far better.

When I was looking earlier this year there seemed to be an absolute f**k load of Golf Estates for sale here at relatively low prices. Seemed very odd because for a Gold hatchback at a similar age and mileage, the prices were significantly higher. That is all I have to add here.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

When I was looking earlier this year there seemed to be an absolute f**k load of Golf Estates for sale here at relatively low prices. Seemed very odd because for a Gold hatchback at a similar age and mileage, the prices were significantly higher. That is all I have to add here.

If the hatchbacks were petrol and the estates diesel that could explain it, especially with the bad rep VW got for cheating on their diesel emissions and performance. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If the hatchbacks were petrol and the estates diesel that could explain it, especially with the bad rep VW got for cheating on their diesel emissions and performance. 

That would make perfect sense. I didn't really look into it in great detail at the time as I wasn't looking for an estate. Just found it odd at face value that the estates were coming in around 50% cheaper all the time.

19 hours ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

VW Golf 2014, 48k miles

I'd be wary of the Insignia mate. Dealt with a lot of people who've had a lot of problems on them. OE Parts are a lot dearer than you'd expect for a Vauxhall as well.

9 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Fabia is wee compared to the Golf -  more like a Polo though maybe the boot is similar.

I have a 2003 1.6 Golf (hatchback) diesel and it is fine but gutless.  You may have to buy older/higher mileage/lower spec but I'd look for a 2.0 Golf estate.

You can't compare a 17yo car to a 3yo one.

1.6 diesels have a lot of injector and DPF issues, no matter what make you buy.