The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

With a big turnover of players surely inevitable in the summer, the only scenario in which McInnes should be allowed to continue is if he agrees to completely overhaul the coaching & backroom team. I like McInnes, and although I'm losing faith I still think there's the makings of a good manager in there, and I don't see any decent candidates to replace him at the moment.

Fergie  regularly changed his assistants at Man Utd, who brought new ideas and kept things fresh, because it's clear that The Dons have gone more stale than a 10 year old Aitkens rowie.

It worried me to hear that Scott Wright is only a few weeks in the door at Ibrox and in that short space of time they've identified the need to alter his diet and fitness regime, and he's gained 4 kilos without altering his body fat.

What the hell is going on at Cormack Park?

Flicking through the channels and see the dons game is on Alba (all 90 minutes un-edited........)

Incredible that Hamilton are wearing blue tops, blue shorts and blue socks....their goalie is wearing blue top , blue shorts and blue socks - just a shade lighted but not much.

4 minutes ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

Scott Wright is only a few weeks in the door at Ibrox and in that short space of time they've identified the need to alter his diet and fitness regime, and he's gained 4 kilos .

Moved to Glasgow = stopped eating vegetables - QED

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Mmm. You obviously know far better than me, but when you signed McCrorie I thought you had a cracking midfield, with him, Ferguson etc.

I think the midfield is a big part of the problem with regards the current malaise on the pitch. In my opinion McCrorie isn't a midfielder, he's a central defender. Ferguson isn't good enough or experienced enough yet to be the main man in midfield. We're sorely missing Shinnie's drive, energy and forward thinking in there...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

52 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

We clearly can’t afford to sack him but we really can’t afford to keep him either. Ideally he would be replaced now with only one game in the next few weeks in the hope a new manager bounce could somehow get us third.

It's like the opposite of Ian St John signing for Liverpool, when the board say we can't afford to sign him, and Shankly replies with we can't afford not to sign him.

We can't afford to sack McInnes but where the hell are we heading next season if we allow this to continue? The form guide says that over the last 15 games we sit third bottom. Is that a foreshadow of what awaits next season? The season tickets won't shift with him in charge next season and he's going to be a dead man walking, a lame duck because everyone, players,fans and media alike will know that he leaves in the summer of 2022. It's a recipe for disaster.

I'm afraid that any fan that thinks McInnes is still the man for the job has put the blinkers on. McInnes needs to go ASAP and the new man needs a little time to prepare for this summer and assess what he has in the games left this season.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

It's like the opposite of Ian St John signing for Liverpool, when the board say we can't afford to sign him, and Shankly replies with we can't afford not to sign him.
We can't afford to sack McInnes but where the hell are we heading next season if we allow this to continue? The form guide says that over the last 15 games we sit third bottom. Is that a foreshadow of what awaits next season? The season tickets won't shift with him in charge next season and he's going to be a dead man walking, a lame duck because everyone, players,fans and media alike will know that he leaves in the summer of 2022. It's a recipe for disaster.
I'm afraid that any fan that thinks McInnes is still the man for the job has put the blinkers on. McInnes needs to go ASAP and the new man needs a little time to prepare for this summer and assess what he has in the games left this season.

I'm sad to have to agree with you unfortunately.

The stats back up the need for change:

1 goal in 9
5 goals in 13
2 wins in 13

Relegation levels of statistics since the New Year.

Take that over a season and that is 6 wins in 38, 15 goals. That's actually pretty scary and a pointer that although we can't afford to change manager, we also can't afford to ignore the rot that has set in.

Thank god Deutschland 89 is out, only thing cheering me up today.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

East Fife (7) have scored more goals in 2021 than you guys (5).

East Fife havent played since 9th Jan, some 8 weeks ago.

Mental stat.

I'm just stunned that we've actually scored 5 goals. 

2 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I'm sad to have to agree with you unfortunately.

The stats back up the need for change:

1 goal in 9
5 goals in 13
2 wins in 13

Brechin have 5 goals in 9 games.

No wonder Michael Paton got a 3 year contract with those Aberdeen beating level stats.

I've defended McInnes for long enough but I'm done now. This can no longer be considered a blip or loss of form, this is now a serious concern and I doubt there are many who think McInnes can turn this round.

Squad is horrendously unbalanced
We have one proper full back (Logan) who can't get a sniff of playing. McInnes obsession with playing three at the back to shoehorn Taylor, Consi and Hoban into the side means that we play wingers who can't defend properly (Mclennan, Kennedy, Hayes) at wing back, or defenders who can't attack properly (McCrorie) in those positions. I genuinely don't know what the formation is meant to be at the moment, other than the 3 centre halfs.

The playing of wingers at full back, means we lack natural width when attacking. The 4-2-3-1 worked in the past because we had full backs who could get forward and we had Hayes and Mcginn to play wide. We've not got in behind teams wide properly since the Utd game in January and even then, the crossing was absolute muck.

The lack of a plan B is so disturbing, playing 3 centre halfs against Hamilton at home can only be excused if Hoban and Considine are going to be encouraged to join in the attack, they weren't today. Kamberi and Hendry looked lost today. Ferguson's influence is waning and he is ineffective sitting in a deep lying midfield role without anyone who can be trusted round about him.

I don't think McInnes is capable of rethinking how he can put together a squad, the football on show is muck and we need a change before we slip back into mid table obscurity, which let's face it, is where we'd be if the rest of the league wasn't guff. The fact we still even have a chance of 3rd reflects so poorly on everyone else, not on anything we've done. We'll likely end the season with less than 60 points, regression again.

TLDR? McInnes Oooooooooot

Really like that post, 10menwent2now. 

It's the formation and the fundamentals that come with it that's causing us problems. Like you've said, we're continuing to play players out of position to accommodate it.

During the McInnes tenure, we've always been reliant on scoring goals from crossing. Something we did exceptionally well from the early days. Particularly Hayes and McGinn playing as wingers when they were given the opportunity to collect the ball in the final 3rd and attack a potentially isolated full back.  

With them playing as wing backs, and this applies to Kennedy, Mclennan etc. They receive the ball far too deep which in turns takes us longer to create an opportunity. At the moment, we're crossing the ball when the opposition are in a decent defensive shape. On top of that, if our wingers are already in an advanced position and have had to move the ball on. We then rely on Hoban, McCrorie, Considine having to make crosses and it's just not their game. 

I don't think it's our strikers that's the problem, it's our chance creation. Far too many times our final ball hits the first man, is over hit or is put into an area which is already heavily defended. 

21 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Really like that post, 10menwent2now. 

It's the formation and the fundamentals that come with it that's causing us problems. Like you've said, we're continuing to play players out of position to accommodate it.

During the McInnes tenure, we've always been reliant on scoring goals from crossing. Something we did exceptionally well from the early days. Particularly Hayes and McGinn playing as wingers when they were given the opportunity to collect the ball in the final 3rd and attack a potentially isolated full back.  

With them playing as wing backs, and this applies to Kennedy, Mclennan etc. They receive the ball far too deep which in turns takes us longer to create an opportunity. At the moment, we're crossing the ball when the opposition are in a decent defensive shape. On top of that, if our wingers are already in an advanced position and have had to move the ball on. We then rely on Hoban, McCrorie, Considine having to make crosses and it's just not their game. 

I don't think it's our strikers that's the problem, it's our chance creation. Far too many times our final ball hits the first man, is over hit or is put into an area which is already heavily defended. 

The other problem is how predictable this is for the opposition. Without Hedges/wright we never play to feet through the middle. With our poor crossing in open play we would be as well drawing free kicks and hoping Mcginn can improve his crossing.

We are in agreement then. The other major issue with the set up is that Hamilton could have spent the whole week in front of the tactics board absolutely certain how we'd approach the game. The names may be different from time to time but Brian Rice could've bet his house (pun intended) on what we'd do and its pretty easy to nullify. Granted, we were never really tactically flexible when we were winning games with the 4-2-3-1 formation in the past, but we had the ability to blow teams away, this just doesn't exist anymore.

Hamilton could, and perhaps should, have nicked a goal yesterday, if they had, they almost certainly would've won the game. There was a time during this run (Utd at Pittodrie, even County away despite the result) when I thought we were creating chances and not taking them, there were other games where excuses could be found (the wind in the St Mirren game). Now we've regressed to not even making the Hamilton defence or goalie work particularly hard for their clean sheet.

I'm not going to lambast McInnes like some are because I think over the years he has earned the right to be respected by the Aberdeen support and will ultimately be looked back on favourably but this is far too far gone now.

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

We are in agreement then. The other major issue with the set up is that Hamilton could have spent the whole week in front of the tactics board absolutely certain how we'd approach the game. The names may be different from time to time but Brian Rice could've bet his house (pun intended) on what we'd do and its pretty easy to nullify. Granted, we were never really tactically flexible when we were winning games with the 4-2-3-1 formation in the past, but we had the ability to blow teams away, this just doesn't exist anymore.

Hamilton could, and perhaps should, have nicked a goal yesterday, if they had, they almost certainly would've won the game. There was a time during this run (Utd at Pittodrie, even County away despite the result) when I thought we were creating chances and not taking them, there were other games where excuses could be found (the wind in the St Mirren game). Now we've regressed to not even making the Hamilton defence or goalie work particularly hard for their clean sheet.

I'm not going to lambast McInnes like some are because I think over the years he has earned the right to be respected by the Aberdeen support and will ultimately be looked back on favourably but this is far too far gone now.

Am I right in thinking McInnes is the 3rd longest serving manager in either England or Scotland? I know Sean Dyche at Burnley has been in his job longer than Derek.

We are stale and very dull to watch. Yes it's a results business but it's also an entertainment business. I would have been interested to see what yesterday's attendance would have been in normal times.

McInnes' biggest fault to me is his rigid formation systems. He's a safety first manager and would much rather win 1-0 than 5-3. Fine if it works but at the moment we are barely looking like we will score.

His red tv interview after yesterday's match when he emphasised the importance of the clean sheet summed him up to me. It's Hamilton at home ffs.

There's certainly f**k all wrong with the defence, we've only conceded 6 goals in the last 10 games, keeping 6 clean sheets in that time. That should be the platform for at least 20 points from those games, we have 10. Now I'm not advocating that we should win every game 4-2 like the Hamilton one earlier in the season but the 2-1 against St Johnstone on Boxing Day was the first game since that Hamilton game where we managed to out score the opposition. The average number of goals per game in the league is 2.41, our matches average 1.94 this season, comfortably the lowest in the league, only St Mirren are anywhere near 2 a game (2.06). If we were winning every game 1-0 or were missing hat loads of chances, none of this would really matter, but we aren't. Of the 62 goals, 21 came from 4 games, (3-3,4-2,1-4,0-4) and two of them were absolute scuddings.

34 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Am I right in thinking McInnes is the 3rd longest serving manager in either England or Scotland? I know Sean Dyche at Burnley has been in his job longer than Derek.

We are stale and very dull to watch. Yes it's a results business but it's also an entertainment business. I would have been interested to see what yesterday's attendance would have been in normal times.

McInnes' biggest fault to me is his rigid formation systems. He's a safety first manager and would much rather win 1-0 than 5-3. Fine if it works but at the moment we are barely looking like we will score.

His red tv interview after yesterday's match when he emphasised the importance of the clean sheet summed him up to me. It's Hamilton at home ffs.

The current 4 longest serving managers are:

Simon Weaver - Harrogate Town (2009!)

Sean Dyche - Burnley

Gareth Ainsworth - Wycombe Wanderers

Oor Deeks.