The Arbroath Thread

Not that I disagree with Fosu not being good enough over his time with the club, but you can hardly accuse him of not showing it in pre season. He was signed after that absolutely beautiful goal against Montrose was he not?

36 minutes ago, danlichtie said:

Not that I disagree with Fosu not being good enough over his time with the club, but you can hardly accuse him of not showing it in pre season. He was signed after that absolutely beautiful goal against Montrose was he not?

He showed one good goal preseason that’s about all I recall in him we were far too quick to sign him after that. I’d like the club to look at these players in a few games and decide from there like I said previously general fitness and match fitness are totally different so few games played see if they sharpen up but so far I’d say 2 look like they could be good 

Edited by SmokeyJoe

There will still be good loan players available for this coming season - so would still expect between 2-3 incoming loan players ( but I agree, due to the new substitution rules, some clubs are sending less players out on loan).

Think we still need 2 additional strikers - for injuries, suspensions , loss of form and more options with team formations.

We have a quality squad of players who are all signed - just need to add a few more players who are suitable for playing at this level.

Happy with the signings and the squad - hopefully the few missing pieces of the jigsaw will fall into place soon.

10 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

He showed one good goal preseason that’s about all I recall in him we were far too quick to sign him after that. I’d like the club to look at these players in a few games and decide from there like I said previously general fitness and match fitness are totally different so few games played see if they sharpen up but so far I’d say 2 look like they could be good 

I think we signed him in the belief he would improve given more coaching  plus we were that short on players at the time with the League Cup starting it was the right call looking back.

I know 90% (there was the odd game he did alright) of the time he was guff but in the first half of the season so many players were playing so poorly. Other than Linn, Little and Gaston, i dont think any other player looked miles better. 

Played out of position in a team that was struggling to string a pass together, its not surprising he played guff. But at the end of the day he was not good enough. The 5 month contract he got was perfect for both parties. Its not like the club cant afford it these days.

Now if we sign any of these trialists we may do the same again. Struggle to play together and plenty of players underperforming.

Lets just give these players a chance before laying into them. 2 training sessions and a friendly are not enough to base a players ability and entire career on.

25 minutes ago, philpy said:

Just saw a red lichties flag on the telly at Glastonbury 😂

Aye it’s been widely reported on all social media since Friday 

22 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Knew this would happen. Surprised it took so long 

There were some formalities to go through to make it all official. I knew it for a few weeks already but the club wanted to wait with the announcement until the deal was completely done.

Edited by Marten

Just now, ExiledLichtie said:

Are Lochee licensed and ambitious?

Yes and yes, we got licensed last year and have spoken out that our ambition is to get to the Highland League. With signing Bobby (and more players still to be announced) we're seriously working on our squad to hopefully make that reality.

28 minutes ago, Marten said:

Yes and yes, we got licensed last year and have spoken out that our ambition is to get to the Highland League. With signing Bobby (and more players still to be announced) we're seriously working on our squad to hopefully make that reality.

I've been contemplating who to follow when I can't be bothered going up to Dens or on call or whatever. It's usually East Craigie or Broughty but I might be making trips to Lochee this season. Could be interesting. 

In more ways than one, what with it being in Lochee. :lol:

47 minutes ago, Marten said:

How many of the players would actually be keen to make the highland league camel treks though?

10 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

How many of the players would actually be keen to make the highland league camel treks though?

The players are very much aware of these aims. Some long trips, but most are doable travel wise, with Brechin as our local game (assuming they don't go up). But let's first get there! 

40 minutes ago, Marten said:

The players are very much aware of these aims. Some long trips, but most are doable travel wise, with Brechin as our local game (assuming they don't go up). But let's first get there! 

Think it’s pretty ridiculous that Dundee teams would have to go into the Highland League tbh. Dundee is about 2 hours away from Berwick.

You’re an hour and 10 minutes to Aberdeen never mind the arse end of nowhere in all these shanty towns In Aberdeenshire and the Highlands. 

Anyway best of luck to Linn. He’ll be great. 

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Think it’s pretty ridiculous that Dundee teams would have to go into the Highland League tbh. Dundee is about 2 hours away from Berwick.

You’re an hour and 10 minutes to Aberdeen never mind the arse end of nowhere in all these shanty towns In Aberdeenshire and the Highlands. 

Anyway best of luck to Linn. He’ll be great. 

No doubt travel is worse being in the highland section but there’s about 100 clubs better qualified to play in the lowland over Dundee/Angus clubs.  We can’t split things purely on travel time l.

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

No doubt travel is worse being in the highland section but there’s about 100 clubs better qualified to play in the lowland over Dundee/Angus clubs.  We can’t split things purely on travel time l.

Surely that’s the whole point of regionalisation though. The cut off at Dundee is bizarre for me. You’re 45 minutes to the Queensferry Crossing from there. It’s mental and it’s why there’s this weird section of glorified amateur clubs playing in a massively diluted junior division up here now. They’ve nowhere to go.