The Arbroath Thread

12 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Not trying to portion blame on Boruc here, but 36 goals have been conceded during his 11 + 1 sub appearances. Constant chopping and changing of the defence has contributed to our demise.

Shot stopper, but can he organise a defence?  From what I've seen, he can make more saves than Gaston, but arguably, Gaston has never been the type to make worldie saves, he just makes sure he doesnt have to make as many saves.  I'd argue that a less stable defence needed an experienced head behind it, not some shaky looking kid.

11 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Last time we were relegated from the 2nd Tier, 2002/03, we finished on 3 wins 6 draws and 27 losses. Scored 30 and conceded 77. 15 points in totals. And also papped out of all 3 cups at the first game.

We had a 10 game (11 including Rangers in Scot Cup) losing streak.

And our lowest attendance home game that season was 381 against Ayr on Tuesday November 5th.

At least we have not had as bad a season as that one.

We've conceded more goals this season, and I believe we're on a 9 game losing streak at the moment.  I was at that Ayr game, my abiding memory seems to be of it being really really cold!  That season was doomed from the start because we had no budget, had lost some of our best players, and our signings were dreadful.  I'd argue that this season is worse because we were in a much better position at the start of the year.  Certainly I feel less positive than I remember feeling back then.

Eta, in that terrible season, we had bright spots.  Heenan looked like he was going to go on to bigger and better things, Swankie looked decent, Spink looked like he was going to be a proper player for us, Henslee hadn't been poached by Montrose.  There was some excitement!

Edited by ExiledLichtie

I don't see how this is a controversial point.  I'm not saying Gaston is a bad keeper, and I think we would have conceded less goals if he was playing instead of Boruc.  But his key attributes are making sure that the opposition don't get many shots, whether that is by making interceptions, coming off his line, organising the defence, controlling the pace of the game etc.  I'm not even the only person on this thread to say that Boruc is probably a better shot stopper than him, so I don't know why people think its a noteworthy point.

Yeah that’s wild. Gaston has made some of the best saves I’ve ever seen in the flesh.

He may not be the most graceful keeper going, and his form has dipped a little this season,but he’s made some saves for us that any keeper in the world would be proud of.

27 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I don't see how this is a controversial point.  I'm not saying Gaston is a bad keeper, and I think we would have conceded less goals if he was playing instead of Boruc.  But his key attributes are making sure that the opposition don't get many shots, whether that is by making interceptions, coming off his line, organising the defence, controlling the pace of the game etc.  I'm not even the only person on this thread to say that Boruc is probably a better shot stopper than him, so I don't know why people think its a noteworthy point.

Correct me if I’m wrong here. You don’t actually attend games and only watch via a dodgy stream yes? 

1 minute ago, Anotherlichtie said:

Correct me if I’m wrong here. You don’t actually attend games and only watch via a dodgy stream yes? 

I attend games when I can, had a season ticket until this season, and until the last few weeks if I can't make a game, I pay for the club stream.  No dodgy streams unless an official one is not available.  Consider yourself corrected.

Once again, I'm not saying Gaston doesn't make great saves.  But is it his primary attribute?  The thing he's known for above all other attributes?  I think that's doing him a disservice.

20 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I attend games when I can, had a season ticket until this season, and until the last few weeks if I can't make a game, I pay for the club stream.  No dodgy streams unless an official one is not available.  Consider yourself corrected.

Once again, I'm not saying Gaston doesn't make great saves.  But is it his primary attribute?  The thing he's known for above all other attributes?  I think that's doing him a disservice.

I do not believe for a second that you have been to many games in person this season. So what you should do is accept the L on this (and your Ali Adams bullshit) and move on. 

Thank you kindly 

Just now, Anotherlichtie said:

I do not believe for a second that you have been to many games in person this season. So what you should do is accept the L on this (and your Ali Adams bullshit) and move on. 

Thank you kindly 

It saddens me that you don't rate Gaston as highly as I do.

Michael Mckenna, can play as an 8, 10 or at a push upfront. Very good technically, has a knack of arriving in the box at the right time and takes a decent set piece.

Have I missed anything?

3 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Michael Mckenna, can play as an 8, 10 or at a push upfront. Very good technically, has a knack of arriving in the box at the right time and takes a decent set piece.

Have I missed anything?

Correct on his position, he is strongest in the 10, he drifts too much if he plays up front and not the best with the back to the goal. He isnt the best technically in terms of passing and working one/twos etc but has good delivery and times his runs perfectly into the box. The season we finished 2nd and he got poty he was virtually unplayable, can strike a ball aswel.

The best qualities Michael has is his workrate and attiude, been a brilliant player for us and wish him all the best. I have a feeling it might not work out that well for him at Falkirk, not sure why. Maybe just saying that because he is 33.

4 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Correct on his position, he is strongest in the 10, he drifts too much if he plays up front and not the best with the back to the goal. He isnt the best technically in terms of passing and working one/twos etc but has good delivery and times his runs perfectly into the box. The season we finished 2nd and he got poty he was virtually unplayable, can strike a ball aswel.

The best qualities Michael has is his workrate and attiude, been a brilliant player for us and wish him all the best. I have a feeling it might not work out that well for him at Falkirk, not sure why. Maybe just saying that because he is 33.

McGlynn obviously knows him inside out which has worked wonders for Dylan Tait this season.

I'd imagine he's been brought in to challenge Aidan Nesbitt starting as the 10, he'll be the oldest player in our squad so his experience will help as things stand right now our oldest player will be Donaldson at 30.

10 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

McGlynn obviously knows him inside out which has worked wonders for Dylan Tait this season.

I'd imagine he's been brought in to challenge Aidan Nesbitt starting as the 10, he'll be the oldest player in our squad so his experience will help as things stand right now our oldest player will be Donaldson at 30.

Imagine guys like Tait would also find it very easy when playing in a winning team that’s massively on top of the other team in every game too to be fair.

McGlynn is a good manager though and will do well with Falkirk next season I’m sure. 

3 hours ago, Smokerson said:

I'd agree with the above.  His workrate and attitude are first class.  We love him to bits.  He takes a pretty reasonable corner, but I certainly wouldn't rate him as a technical player.  His first touch can be pretty agricultural at times.  

Edited by TheRoundO

He's definitely going to Falkirk. Was speaking to his dad earlier. Been offered 2 training sessions a week so he can still run his business.