All things Dundee FC

On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 15:21, RossBFaeDundee said:

Thank god there's at least 2, maybe 3 teams who seem to be nearly as bad as we are right now. Makes the situation feel potentially salvageable.

Ross. There aren't. 

Okay so was thinking on the way home from the game, and I now think John Nelms is even more clueless than I had originally given him credit for. Regardless on your opinion on McCann as a manager, he had his philosophy of short passing starting from the back. He had a full summer transfer window and brought in a barrowload of players that he thought would suit this style. Nelms then played a fucking blinder, sacking McCann 2 days before a game, and appointed a manager who's preferred style of football could not be of any more contrast to McCann. Now, none of this means that I'm saying McCann is a better manager than McIntyre but it's so unbelievably evident as seen in the past 2 games that the way McIntyre wants these players to play is never going to work. 

And to think there's been guys on here who actually thought there was the makings of a decent squad there!! Get a grip guys, that lot are cannon fodder, McCann's left us in a worse state than Hartley and I'll say it again, serious questions need asked about the board! Maybe they're the posters being positive about the squad :thumbsdown

i was saying that only this weekend. i will hold my hands up i was wrong. very wrong. i thought we would see some reaction from the players. saturday was poor but watching that tonight was worse. very lucky to only lose 3

eta - heads up lads only celtic up next!

Apparently Barry Smith was sitting in the front row of the director's box last night.

I'd fucking love him ahead of Billy Dodds.

If McIntyre doesn't get his way regarding Dodds, we could potentially see him as number 1 - which whilst I'd be much less keen on, I don't think he's any worse than McCann or McIntyre, indeed probably better. That's not exactly a glowing endorsement for Smith though.

15 hours ago, Crawford said:

1 point more but half as many teeth. Dental hygiene has not reached paisley yet I'm afraid.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/750815/hundreds-of-p1-children-in-tayside-have-severe-dental-problems-official-inspection-reveals/

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Apparently Barry Smith was sitting in the front row of the director's box last night.

I'd fucking love him ahead of Billy Dodds.

If McIntyre doesn't get his way regarding Dodds, we could potentially see him as number 1 - which whilst I'd be much less keen on, I don't think he's any worse than McCann or McIntyre, indeed probably better. That's not exactly a glowing endorsement for Smith though.

Lee Mcculloch was also sitting in there last night.

Like Thistle there will be no new manager bounce due to the level of player and state of mind of the playing squad at Dens. The hope is to hold in there until January and then McIntyre will jettison what he can and bring in the players he wants to stay up. It worked his first couple of seasons at County so as long as he's backed by the board he'll probably get to 10th spot by May...

On 10/17/2018 at 19:56, bunglebonce said:

Copy + paste on McIntyre from last week when a Thistle fan asked about McIntyre.

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, he has a good CV in many respects.  I don't think it would be a bad appointment in the short term, no-one could realistically predict the long term.

Some new managers like to keep things going as they are and tweak things on a small scale, others will want to put their mark on the team straight away.  I think McIntyre would definitely do the latter, and it is probably what Thistle need after things have been stale for so long.

Applying what he did at County to what he might do at Thistle:

• Preach positive mental attitude to get the squad's confidence up, including giving the appearance of being a strong leader from the touchline and pulling the team over for instructions during small pauses in play.
  • Infuse tactical discipline off the ball.  He won't have the team carry luxury players or those that break the mould, if a young winger lets a full-back run past him repeatedly then he's out of the team.  There is no room for mavericks. Every player has an opponent he is responsible for.  Teams tend to zonally mark across the pitch in modern football, but McIntyre preferred a man-marking system so if an opponent broke through the lines the team knew whose fault it was.  That isn't always the norm, Aberdeen use it quite often and I guess McIntyre probably picked up the idea from McInnes at Bristol.
  • Instil a culture of responsibility and culpability among the players as a result of the above.  It tends to rely on players who are used to the rough'n'tumble of Scottish/British football.
  • Quickly jettison or replace some of the manager's old favourites if they don't fit into his way of thinking.  Some current legends/fan favourites might have to be sacrificed.   
  • Maintain good standards of video analysis and preparation for set-pieces.
  • Use a young player who is underused eg Fitzpatrick as a symbol of progression at the club.  Derek Adams wouldn't trust youth players whatsoever even though everyone thought Tony Dingwall deserved a chance.Archibald has of course used Fitzpatrick and others, but if McIntyre can play Fitzpatrick more to distinguish himself from Archibald then he will. 

Some shortcomings:

• In reality McIntyre barely allowed any pathway from the academy to the first team at all apart from the token gesture at the start and filling the squad at pre-season.  He showed no direct interest in the u20s because they couldn't be trusted to maintain the standards that the man-to-man defensive structure demanded.
  • He had good ideas tactically sometimes but his strategies would let him down.  It seemed he would lose sight sometimes of what made the team good.  When things were rough no-one could guess the team from one week to another.
  • He had a blind spot for central midfielders.  If they could run the length of the pitch and track their man, that was preferable to someone who could dictate play and thread passes between the lines.  It can be good to have both but McIntyre's systems didn't allow for that.
  • For a manager who tends to play wingers, he has rarely used a winger who could consistently beat a full-back for pace and trickery.
  • The culture of senior players ruling the roost means that they can sometimes seem immune to culpability if they make mistakes when other players might get dropped for similar mistakes.
  • The signing strategy can be haphazard.  There might be an overall aim to build a solid base, but there was such a high turnover of players at County despite the long term objective of having a consistent core to the team for a number of years.

I would put a tenner on his first signing being Martin Woods.

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/jim-mcintyre-expected-to-make-first-dundee-signing-ahead-of-celtic-clash/

This is some shout btw. :lol: 

1 minute ago, Pie Of The Month said:

He did take a decent set piece tbf to him. Although I'm not quite sure if that's just the way it seemed because it meant at least Blair Spittal was no longer taking them for us. 

When you say set-piece you mean an occasional good corner?  His DFKs at County were abysmal and I'm not using that word lightly.  Spittal scored a pearlier in Woods's debut for Thistle if I remember.