Premier League 2015-16

IMO, this day was always going to come sooner or later, Leicester are playing players £80,000 a week. The gap in finances between the big clubs and teams like Leicester and Stoke is getting smaller with every passing season.

True to an extent but expected someone to maybe come through and break into the top 4 first before winning it out of nowhere. Also worth noting that the so called top sides are struggling to attract the really top players.

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking the same last night, but when you consider that they lost the CL this season and I imagine a large number of people will have cancelled, I'm sure they are delighted to be screening something which absolutely every man and his dog is talking about just now, meaning they are probably getting more people subscribing just now, even if just for the last month.

I doubt many people cancelled Sky over them losing the CL.

I guess the chat about who they will potentially bring in for their assault on the CL next season will start very soon.  I reckon they'd be ecstatic just by getting out their group.  Even though they'll be top seeds going by the new system if I'm not mistaken.

I guess the chat about who they will potentially bring in for their assault on the CL next season will start very soon.  I reckon they'd be ecstatic just by getting out their group.  Even though they'll be top seeds going by the new system if I'm not mistaken.

Indeed they will be.  It would be a massive boost to make it in there, as they'd presumably avoid sides like Bayern, PSG and whoever wins the league in Spain.  But they could still get a pretty tough group from those sides that would usually be up there in terms of seeding, but didn't win their league.  Dortmund, Real/Atletico/Barca (delete as applicable).

Obviously, winning the league would be a massive boost in terms of their chances next season.

Yeah - i still think they want the teams with the biggest budgets/stadiums to be winning though. This is certainly a spanner in the works!

The pundits on Sky last night looked like their dogs had just died when Tottenham drew. For whatever reason, they aren't that happy that Leicester are likely to win the league.

It's a bit like up here, the media seem to love the big teams and the status quo - you'd think that Leicester would be the best marketing campaign that the FA and Sky could hope for but apparently - no!

They're scared it'll make the league look like a bit of a joke. They'll sort of accept Spurs winning it, a top 8-10 team usually. There's no way they'd accept a yo-yo between the EPL and Championship team winning it.  They're devastated at the current scenario.

Had to endure a bit of the bigot apologist Brazil on the car radio earlier. Naturally they had to have an opinion about last night's game from Redknapp Snr. Alli was wrong to punch but it was understandable as he had to put up with Yacob niggling away at him all game, winding him up and purely looking for a reaction as he is 'a typical South American.'

I look forward to 'Arry being up on an FA racism charge as well as Alli being done for his assault.

The pundits on Sky last night looked like their dogs had just died when Tottenham drew. For whatever reason, they aren't that happy that Leicester are likely to win the league.

It's a bit like up here, the media seem to love the big teams and the status quo - you'd think that Leicester would be the best marketing campaign that the FA and Sky could hope for but apparently - no!

Thing is though, if Leicester do finish the job you know Sky and BT will have all the pundits singing off the same song sheet and promoting the miracle, banging on about how it could only happen in England, and telling is it's more evidence that the EPL is the best league in the world.

If Aberdeen win the league this season or next, everyone in our media will tell us it's hugely embarrassing and proof that we are a glorified pub league.

They're scared it'll make the league look like a bit of a joke. They'll sort of accept Spurs winning it, a top 8-10 team usually. There's no way they'd accept a yo-yo between the EPL and Championship team winning it. They're devastated at the current scenario.

They're not even a yo yo team!

When was the last time they were in the premiership before last year? Has to have been over a decade?

They're not even a yo yo team!

When was the last time they were in the premiership before last year? Has to have been over a decade?

2004 granted.  But in the last 20 years they've been in the EPL on 3 or 4 separate occasions. Never for sustained periods of time.

Thing is though, if Leicester do finish the job you know Sky and BT will have all the pundits singing off the same song sheet and promoting the miracle, banging on about how it could only happen in England, and telling is it's more evidence that the EPL is the best league in the world.

If Aberdeen win the league this season or next, everyone in our media will tell us it's hugely embarrassing and proof that we are a glorified pub league.

Although in general I hate the way the Scottish media and FA, view and promote the game here, in this case I'd almost admire their consistancy rather than the embarrassing about face the English media will be doing!

Is there an actual parallel for this?

It seems to be a pretty unique story.

probably find a few golf stories (someone mentioned tom watson) where a rank amateur or barely turned pro wins a major because someone pulled out right at the tee off time and this wee guy was imply coming off a practise session on the putting green next door and got the place lol

Is there an actual parallel for this?

It seems to be a pretty unique story.

In recent football history I think Greece winning the Euro's is closest. They had never won a game in the competition before then.

Found this from ESPN, which is rather American and completely uninspiring. I'm sure there must have been other instances of extreme long shots winning against the odds.

Archived